GeForce GTX 650 DVI-D to HDMI issue

Alteran88

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
So I run dual monitors one with an HDMI(monitor) to HDMI mini(GPU) and the other is an HDMI(monitor) to DVI-D(GPU). Earlier today this was working fine. As in both monitors were running at 1080p. I rearranged my office and moved the desk and now the monitor that runs on the HDMI to DVI cable wont recognize the monitor and refuses to let me put the resolution above 1024x768.

I tested the monitor with the other HDMI cable and the display was correct. I replaced the cable with a new one but it still doesn't work. I also tried checking and reinstalling all drivers for all devices involved with no results. As a last stitch effort I've done a full reinstall of windows but the problem persists. The GPU has two DVI ports and I've tested them both. They both are only giving me 1024x768

If anyone has any ideas or possible reasons why this has happened it would be greatly appreciated.

Alteran88

Reputable
Dec 31, 2014
I found a solution!

I found these instructions on another forum and it worked. Hopefully if anyone else has this problem this will help them out.

*Right-click on your desktop and select "screen resolution".
*Select the monitor in question (in my case it was monitor #4, my 32" Vizio) right click on it and select properties.
*Select the Driver tab and click update driver.
*Select "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
*Uncheck the box "show compatable hardware"
*In standard monitor types (or your brand may be in the list) find the resolution your monitor was running (mine was 1920x1080 60Hz)
*Click next and it should install...and you may need to restart you computer, not sure.
* Last but not least, you may also need to go back and change the screen refresh rate. After it puts the new driver in, for some reason, it may be the correct resolution, but not the correct refresh rate. Change it in the monitor tab under properties and you should be good to go