GeForce GTX 680 2 GB Review: Kepler Sends Tahiti On Vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice results, this is how the transition to 28nm should be.
Now we just need prices to start dropping, although significant drops will probably not come until the GK110 is released :/

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
Its a midrange card, anyone who disagrees is plain wrong. Thats not to say its a bad card, what happened here is nvidia is so far ahead of AMD in tech that the mid range card purposed to fill the 560ti in the lineup actually competed with AMD's flagship. If you dont believe me that is fine, you will see in a couple months when the actual flagship comes out, the ones with the 384 bit interface.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Nothing surprising here. Little overclocking can put Tahiti right at the same level. Kepler is actually losing to Tahiti in really demanding games like Metro 2033 that uses the latest tech. Pointless to test ancient and low tech games like World of Warcrap that is ancient, uses dx9 and is not considered cutting edge in any meter.

Scotty99

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2010
[citation][nom]scrumworks[/nom]Nothing surprising here. Little overclocking can put Tahiti right at the same level. Kepler is actually losing to Tahiti in really demanding games like Metro 2033 that uses the latest tech. Pointless to test ancient and low tech games like World of Warcrap that is ancient, uses dx9 and is not considered cutting edge in any meter.[/citation]

Sigh...

WoW has had DX11 for quite a long time now. Also, go play in a 25 man raid with every detail setting on ultra with 8xAA and 16x AAF and tell me WoW is not taxing on a PC.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Wow, now that I moved some more pages I see Kepler really sucks at computing. I think it's very surprising even if you claim otherwise! That how Kepler managed to barely overpass Tahiti in gaming because it's totally useless in computing apps. That is something that Tom's and folk usually praise in nvidia, their ability to be like supercomputers. I guess there is a totally different ring in the bell now and all the sudden computing doesn't matter.

klausey

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
Great to see nVidia jumping back into the game and forcing AMD to lower its prices accordingly. I was shocked to see the card actually available at the MSRP of $500 on launch day. I guess we'll see how long that lasts.

For everyone suggesting that nVidia will release another true "flagship" beyond the 680, I think you are spot on, IF AMD gives them a reason to. There's no reason to push it at the moment as they already hold the crown. If, on the other hand, AMD goes out and makes a 7980, or 79070 SE card with higher clocks (more like what the 7970 can achieve when properly overclocked), I definitely see nVidia stepping their game up a bit.

Either way, it's awesome to see both AMD and now nVidia taking power consumption into consideration. I'm tired of my computer room feeling like a toaster after an all nighter.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]yougotjaked[/nom]Wait what does it mean by "if you’re interested in compute potential, you’ll have to keep waiting"?[/citation]

He means waiting for the GK110, that will be a more of a compute card while this GK104 is more equiped towards gaming.

Really disappointing DP compute, but a tradeoff had to be made and this card is meant for gaming, so I can understand their position. Hopefully GK110 is a real card and will eventually come out.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]scotty99[/nom]Its a midrange card, anyone who disagrees is plain wrong. Thats not to say its a bad card, what happened here is nvidia is so far ahead of AMD in tech that the mid range card purposed to fill the 560ti in the lineup actually competed with AMD's flagship. If you dont believe me that is fine, you will see in a couple months when the actual flagship comes out, the ones with the 384 bit interface.[/citation]

The card you mention is the GK110, it will most likely be aimed towards computing (cuda ect) and have a significantly bigger chip budget as well as price. The big question is how much it will lean toward computing... if its leaning alot towards computing wich i think - it will also be less effichient when it commes to gaming.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
One reason for the 7970's high price could be the 3GB of RAM it's lugging about and that 384-bit memory interface. Another is that it's got a lot more compute hardware than the 680.

I'd expect the 7970 to be faster in multi-monitor mode due to those points. The 680 is a true beast of a card though, and feels for all intents and purposes like what a Cayman successor would have - decent compute, but stunning performance whilst using less power than the comparable AMD card. It feels as if AMD and NVIDIA have actually traded architectures. :)

yougotjaked

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]He means waiting for the GK110, that will be a more of a compute card while this GK104 is more equiped towards gaming.[/citation] Ah ok thanks. How long before those cards are out?

Status
Not open for further replies.