GeForce GTX 680 2 GB Review: Kepler Sends Tahiti On Vacation

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matto17secs[/nom]Higher performing in 95% of games[/citation]
If that's the case, I can't wait to see if they've improved SLi. If they haven't, AMD might be faster here, and judging by the 680's design, cooler when you're using multiple cards.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]yougotjaked[/nom]Ah ok thanks. How long before those cards are out?[/citation]

I have no idea, my best bet is that they are waiting for the yields to go up with the current card before releasing the monolithic core of the gk110 since today it looks like the yields of that chip size would be to small. Some have speculated to the mid year, some end of the year ect. Its all speculations.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]One reason for the 7970's high price could be the 3GB of RAM it's lugging about and that 384-bit memory interface. Another is that it's got a lot more compute hardware than the 680.I'd expect the 7970 to be faster in multi-monitor mode due to those points. The 680 is a true beast of a card though, and feels for all intents and purposes like what a Cayman successor would have - decent compute, but stunning performance whilst using less power than the comparable AMD card. It feels as if AMD and NVIDIA have actually traded architectures.[/citation]

The mem on the 7970 allows it to outperform the 680gtx but ONLY when using 2-3x monitors (1080p+), the 7970 is beat in about everything by the 680gtx at 2560x1600 as for the multi-monitor gaming the 4gb version of this card should be very well suited for that kind of setups.

geekchaser

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
Hmm, to bad in the setup TH admitted to using the older drivers for the 7000 series cards. Such a discriminant way to post actual capabilities of any video card but in this case it was meant to lean the reader into believing the scores posted.. Even a few manufactures have mad comment on this by TH's own confessions.. Sorry NVIDEA fan boys... AMD is still king...

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]animalosity[/nom]@ Scotty99 You sir. Are an idiot. Mid Range card my ass. I realize that Nvidia is realeasing another later this year (AKA dual gpu card). This is Nvidia's flagship right now so get off your high horse. Also learn to speak intelligence before you start making diarrhea come out of your mouth. Or fingers in this case.[/citation]

Depends on how you see it, i think nVidia have branched their cards into two distinct paths. One that is geared towards gaming (the gk104) and they will release the other gk110 later as more of a computing card with more die size dedicated to logic that ain't used as much in gaming both bigger and more expensive...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]geekchaser[/nom]Hmm, to bad in the setup TH admitted to using the older drivers for the 7000 series cards. Such a discriminant way to post actual capabilities of any video card but in this case it was meant to lean the reader into believing the scores posted.. Even a few manufactures have mad comment on this by TH's own confessions.. Sorry NVIDEA fan boys... AMD is still king...[/citation]

Wow, that is the exact *opposite* of what I said. Every review sees us use the latest drivers, BIOS updates, Windows Updates, etc. That's the reason you see variability from one story to another, even on the same platform.

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
[citation][nom]matto17secs[/nom]I just read the HardOCP review and need to move "Better ultra-high resolution, multiple monitor performance" into the GTX 680 list of positives.[/citation]
It's a far more balanced picture there.

[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]The mem on the 7970 allows it to outperform the 680gtx but ONLY when using 2-3x monitors (1080p+), the 7970 is beat in about everything by the 680gtx at 2560x1600 as for the multi-monitor gaming the 4gb version of this card should be very well suited for that kind of setups.[/citation]
Yes, but that's the point of Eyefinity. :)

A 4GB card? Got a link?

hfitch

Distinguished
May 7, 2009
I am pissed with Nvidia over one thing. You cant buy a 590 anymore they stopped making it. They have plenty of 580s. I think Nvidia knew that some people might go why should I buy a 680 when the 590 outperforms it frames per second. I am just talking raw data. Not the ability to actually do more with the 680. I mean I already bought my 680 this morning waiting for it to come in the mail. I just wanted a 590 for a long time and found out a month ago they stopped making it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
This is very impressive. Much more than I expected and with a lower price than they have traditionally launched at. I'm normally into AMD graphics, but if I was in the market for a card now, I'd get this. Actually, I'd probably wait a couple of weeks to see the price drops.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
What is Nvidia's equivilant of the HD 7870 going to be number and when will it be released? I have an HD 5850 and was looking at the HD 7870 for an upgrade. But what I am seeing. I may have to go back to Nvidia. I am not a fan boy. But a consumer who wants the best bang for the buck. And I am really impressed with what Nvidia as presented!!!!!

silverblue

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
hfitch

What do you mean? The 680 is far too close to the 590 for the 590 to ever be worth the price, and uses a bucket load less power in the process, even though the 590 is, in essence, two very downclocked 580s. That 680 was a very good buy; just get a second if you really want to show off. ;)

verbalizer

Distinguished
can we have FOLDING@HOME benchmark?
please...

+1000

this is what it's about HD Radeon and nVidia, keep those prices down.!!!
:lol:
[flash=420,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/QNJL6nfu__Q?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]

most of the reviews I have read and I believe someone in the nVidia camp even said this is a gaming primarily card.
compute was not the focus here.
the HD Radeon 'loyalists' just look at things to bash on...
denial is a bitch..

hannibal

Distinguished
Well, a nice gaming card, but allso with some weaker points, so there is room allso to AMD cards.
The 7900 series is more like old 580 series. A compute wizard, so 7800 series is more like candidate to compare to this, but this is so much faster than 7800 series that it is in own league there...

What will be more interesting is, what Nvidia 660 will be? If and when they used their "hunter" 104 chip to 680, what is left for 660 series? Hopefullu something good, but as test has proven, 7800 series is more game chip that 7900 is, the competition there is more fierce.
All in all I am happy to see that 680 is a really good gaming card! The delay was not too promising on that! No the situation is much better!
We have very good high end gaming card aka 680
We have good math card with reasonable gaming speed 7950/7970
We have good middle range gaming card 7870 (that is very close to 7950 in gaming speed)
Not bad at all! This is actually guite good situation when all the dust settles down, and people start to think with reason.
It seems that there will be some prising changes, but all in all we have a plenty of good cards to chose from. Now Nvidia reveal the middle range card and I am guite happy with the situation!

I remember the HardOCP review of the HD7970 calling it overkill for 1920x1080. It just seems to me that, in general, we're reaching the point of diminishing returns with all this power. If I had a 3-monitor setup, especially with 3D, I might want TWO of these, but as it is, the price/performance and performance/watt of a level or two down from this are going to be a lot more interesting. I really want to see what nVidia brings to compete with the HD6670 and HD7750, a range nVidia has neglected for years. That's right about where 1920x1080 gaming starts to be viable with "good" (i.e. enjoyable, but nowhere near "max") settings. A 10%-20% improvement in this range will be extremely visible, and should sell a lot of cards. This market segment is much bigger than the one building epeeni.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
With compute performance below that of the AMD cards and previous generation nVidia cards, my bet is that people who run BOINC will shy away from this card, or somewhat begrudgingly buy this card because of its power profile.

nVidia's tack with this card of protecting the workstation and Tesla cards, which they have every right to do, may push customers away. I'm, for one, will not spend big bucks on a pro card since I am a casual user. Given this card's price point, I was considering one even though it's price is above what I would normally consider acceptable. Now that I know that compute performance may be on par with my GTX 460, I may opt for one of the Radeons instead.

IMHO, a better tack for nVidia to take would, instead of the high-end WS cards for great compute capability, let the consumer cards handle it. For the same amount of money, they would likely sell whatever number of consumer cards that would add up to the cost of a Tesla. GTX 460 compute performance exceeds that of C2070s in some cases.

Obviously I am not happy about the decreased focus on compute performance. I recognize that it is their right to do it, however, I think they are forsaking a market segment and it may end up backfiring on them.

I'll be waiting a few more months for my build, and hopefully, they will release a consumer card that has compute performance more of what I was hoping for. It would be interesting to know if nVidia has announced any plans for cards with better compute performance and what market segment they hope to target with those cards.

f-14

Distinguished
At long last, we can consider multi-monitor gaming tests to replace 2560x1600 in our single-card reviews
uh NOOOOO now you can benchmark 2 Monitors at 2560x1600. i and others will not move down to smaller screens, will will just buy more of the same big screens we already have.
who thinks going smaller is an option when you already have bigger?
wait i already know, communists and the french.

[citation][nom]silverblue[/nom]If that's the case, I can't wait to see if they've improved SLi. If they haven't, AMD might be faster here, and judging by the 680's design, cooler when you're using multiple cards.[/citation]
With most games, scaling with SLI on the 680 is above 90%. Incredible. There are reviews out there substantiating this.

[citation][nom]malmental[/nom]please...
+1000
this is what it's about HD Radeon and nVidia, keep those prices down.!!! [flash=420,315]http://www.youtube.com/v/QNJL6nfu__Q?version=3&hl=en_US[/flash]
most of the reviews I have read and I believe someone in the nVidia camp even said this is a gaming primarily card.compute was not the focus here.the HD Radeon 'loyalists' just look at things to bash on...denial is a bitch..[/citation]
Yeah... There's no price argument any longer. Who wants to admit to buying inferior products for a higher cost? This is a whole new way of thinking for the AMD fanboy. I guess you just suck it up and move on.

Status
Not open for further replies.