GeForce GTX 750 Ti Benchmarked: Slower Than GTX 660?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Estix

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Can't think of a good reason for this thing over, say, an R9 270...I love Nvidia, but you really do pay for the brand sometimes...

maxiim

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
I have a feeling that Maxwell is going to be a bunch of same performance GPUs with a much much lower power consumption. Good thing I didnt wait and grabbed a 780

daekar

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Same performance for less power is great, but it makes it hard to justify buying a new card. Sell me more performance at the same price, no matter how you get it, and then I'll be interested. I have a 460 GTX that runs everything I throw at it.... give me a real reason to upgrade!

kiniku

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
I have a feeling that Maxwell is going to be a bunch of same performance GPUs with a much much lower power consumption. Good thing I didnt wait and grabbed a 780
Sure. With the next gen just around the corner the price on the 780 might rise.

Hardly an incentive to buy the card, if a 660 out performs it.Yes it make take less power.And if that is all the GTX 750 Ti has to offer then I suspect it will do very poor, unless priced bellow the cost of a 660 card at it`s current price. Avoided.

hopefully this bench is of a slower pre-release sample. I was hoping for something at or a little ahead of the 660/570 performance range with 2GB of ram somewhere between $150-200.... but instead we are looking at something slower and more than $200?

I love nVidia, but I think I will be upgrading to AMD this go around. Would be my first AMD/ATI card in over 10 years!

Assuming the story has merit....

The GTX 750Ti card is doing more with less. The GTX 660 doesn't blow it away in those benchmarks. In actual gameplay, I would argue the cards would perform very near each other. It is an apples to oranges comparison though. One card has a generation advantage with a power grade disadvantage (750) and the other is the opposite (660). The architecture helps but as with many things in life, brute force can't be discounted.

These numbers would be even further apart if they were testing a non-Ti version of the 750.

Treflipmafia

Honorable
Jan 22, 2014
Maybe what nvidia is doing with this 750TI is offering performance like or close to a 660 with less heat/power consumption on a smaller pcb for the future Mini pc/ITX/steam box style computers. Without having to buy a ""mini version of a GPU " this is a total guess i could be waaay off lol

That price comes from a Hungarian site. Hungary has a 27% VAT, so a $225 retail price there means it's actually about $175.

The key will be if there are single slot and/or low-profile versions available that don't need a PCIe power connection. That means it will fit in applications where the best available previously was the HD7750. As a niche product for that market, it might justify its price. Otherwise, why would anyone buy one?

Jgriff

Honorable
Sep 13, 2013
I'd be cool with maxwell just slightly besting the 700 series, if that meant all the cards were small, take alot less wattage and were passively cooled, and cheaper. That'd actually be awesome if they could pull that off. I think I'd take that over massive gains because as it stands the 7 series are beasts of a card, very well capable of outlasting the consoles.

Less power, means SFF. I like that.

If they can pack the 750ti in a slim package for SFF builds, I'll be all over it. AMD has had the "monopoly" for it with the 7750 SFF and the 6670 SFF for way too long.

Cheers!

jasonelmore

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
TiThey are releasing this Maxwell based cpu only for development and platform development purposes. i'm sure it will sell, but thats not the real reason they are putting this out early.As you probably already know, Maxwell is putting ARM cores on the GPU itself and creating a unified memory subsystem between the arm cores and the GPU. On the Low End, these will probably be 4X A15's and on the high end cards we'll see 4X x64 Denver cores pushing 6-8 GB of GDDR5By releasing this card, it allows game developers and software engineers to properly code and get ready for this massive change in GPU Architecture.

hardcore gaming on ultra @1440p haha :D , I do remember my 550ti which is basically the same card as the 460, it played battlefield 3 pretty well on lower resolutions with some tweaks, then I got a second card 550ti and my addiction to power had started hahaha

breakingadam

Honorable
Jul 24, 2013
I am actually excited for this. I'm guessing the power consumption is going to be a drastically lower than the Kepler cards (that is what "Maxwell is all about, right?). I have a big power sucking gaming PC that I built w/SLI GTX 680's (which is amazing, for it's purpose)... But, I also have an Alienware X51 that I use as a home theater pc and "console". Given the low power of the X51, more options for upgrading the GPU will be great. Not sure if the 750 ti will be THE ONE, but I'll definitely be picking up a "Maxwell" GPU this year.

Maybe I just have a beyond amazing cooling setup in my case, but my MSI twin frozr 660 OC edition never gets hot, even after 3dmark firestrike on max settings or after hours of gaming on max settings. Barely raises 20C over "just turned on" idle temps. Don't know what the big deal over lower temps than a 660 is all about.

west7

Honorable
Nov 23, 2012
if this card will performe as this article says it will be a big gap between 750ti and gtx 760 so i think this numbers are wronge

Zachasaurs

Honorable
Mar 11, 2013
if anyone is paying any attention to the article this is from a suspicious chinese webpage and nvidia hasnt even put launch dates yet. also if its lower power usage that means more ability to overclock and it will stay at lower temps

Status
Not open for further replies.