[SOLVED] GeForce GTX 750Ti 2GB graphics card doesn't fit

Jul 3, 2021
Hey all.

Here is my current computer.

Dell Optiplex 5040 SFF PC/Computer, Intel Core i5, 16GB RAM, 128SSD, Win 10 Pro.

I posted my PC over at Gamefaqs and was told to purchase a GTX 750Ti for this.

It sticks out of the tower about an inch and the power box is too close to where I need to insert the card. There's just no room to squeeze in the graphics card. I need at least another centimeter of room, and even then, the fan would fully be pressing against the power box.

I watched a YouTube video, and perhaps I need a PCI adapter?

Unless there's something else that can be done, could someone please give a link on Amazon on what to purchase?

I understand nothing but follow directions quite well.

Here's an image of the inside tower.

AAI-dfAACDJ0.jpg

Cheers. :)

Solution
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've invested in a half height version of the GTX750Ti, that would've fit in your prebuilt, without taking any consideration of the PSU. In fact, since I've mentioned the PSU, that unit can output a maximum of 180W to the entire system, your entire system with a GTX 750Ti needs at least 350W of power, so if anything you're looking to blow up the PSU or the entire system in the process. Please stop...and think about dropping the GPU into a system with a PSU that has at least 350W of power from a reliably built PSU.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You should've invested in a half height version of the GTX750Ti, that would've fit in your prebuilt, without taking any consideration of the PSU. In fact, since I've mentioned the PSU, that unit can output a maximum of 180W to the entire system, your entire system with a GTX 750Ti needs at least 350W of power, so if anything you're looking to blow up the PSU or the entire system in the process. Please stop...and think about dropping the GPU into a system with a PSU that has at least 350W of power from a reliably built PSU.

Solution
There just aren't any power supply upgrades that would work for the SFF with a decent amount of power. This could be done and would fix the power and GPU space issues, but would get a little tricky. Because of the shape of the SFF motherboard you would need a case with no drive bays in the way. You would also need an 8 pin to 24 pin power supply adapter most likely if I'm right about the Dell model you have, possibly a CPU cooler, and would need to relocate the power button to a rear pci slot.
$36
https://www.newegg.com/black-thermaltake-versa-h18-tg-micro-gaming-chassis/p/N82E16811133368
$40
https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-ba-100-ba-0500-k1-500w/p/N82E16817438188
$11
https://www.amazon.com/Longdex-24-P...t=&hvlocphy=9028257&hvtargid=pla-916543096007
$12(possibly not needed)
https://www.newegg.com/arctic-cooling-alpine-12-co-acalp00031a/p/13C-000P-00079?quicklink=true

$99 would move the components to an aftermarket case and cover a decent power supply. Probably as much or more than you spent on the 750ti, but in the future you would already have a decent case and power supply for doing a new computer build or enough power for a GPU later on that would match with the specs of your CPU.

Last edited:

Joseph_138

Distinguished
SFF cases always require a half height video card that doesn't require external power. You should have taken that into consideration before buying. Unfortunately, half height 750Ti cards are not that easy to find. They go quickly whenever they show up on ebay.

Is there a particular reason why you need an SFF computer? I know some people use them as a makeshift games console, HTPC, or a file server because they are cheap and don't take up much space.

Jul 3, 2021
I'm not even sure what an SFF computer means.

I really only want to watch 1080p YouTube videos without having to download them and then rifle those through VLC for proper playback.

Also, it's been 20+ years since I've been able to play CounterStrike.

I would greatly love to revisit that game one day. :)

Joseph_138

Distinguished
I didn't see you had only a 180W PSU. A 750 Ti is going to pull 60W by itself. You may not be able to run that card at all, even if it doesn't require external power. A GT 1030 only pulls 30W, so that might be doable, but with the prices today, they're not worth what people are asking for them. You also need to get one with GDDR5 memory. If it comes with DDR4, forget it. They are almost the same as integrated video.

You can also get the GT 1030 fanless, which reduces their power consumption even more.

I just noticed the fanless ones have pretty big heatsinks on them, making the cards require 2-3 slots. If you don't have enough slots, they might not be the thing you need.

Last edited: