GeForce GTX 760 Review: GK104 Shows Up (And Off) At $250

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Because I think its irrelevant to your claim that's why.

geok1ng

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
Considering that Crossfire currently does not work ( same reviews would actually make one think that FRAPs CF numbers are fakes) NVIDIA is doing what is best for the consumers- bringing prices down on basically the same performance points. Its has done so with the 780, the 770 and now with the 760. While most of the tests were done at 1080p, the 760 can game at 1440p @ 2~4xAA and also at 1600p@0xAA. SLI tests with the 760 could help the owners of last generations hardware if its time to upgrade.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

:D

Because, kinda like Leonard says in BBT, if all sites created pages the way I do, the human race
couldn't survive. :) I write my pages by hand using a simple text editor ('jot' on an SGI) with
function key macros used to add basic HTML tags. I don't employ anything more complex than
image maps, and so far even those are only in my SGI for-sale section. I also incude image size
tags for every image (some sites don't do this in order to ensure advert images must be loaded
before the main text). End result is very lightweight pages (have a look at the source code for any
page), but they have zero flash & bling that many seem to love these days. I focus on raw data,
not visual bells & whistles. My site is accessed a lot by less sophisticated devices (more than 70
different types of browser), so I strive to keep it simple, which is also why it's visually boring. :D

I did look into changing it with a more modern styling, but several companies asked me not to.

Modern sites pull hundreds of elements from dozens of other sites when you load a page (I've
seen some sites where a page locks up just because it can't load a tiny icon image from facebook).
Then there's javascript processing going on, all sorts of things. My pages don't do any of that, so
they download fast.

Ian.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

What a bizarre thing to say. Someone demands proof yet refuses to provide their own. I don't
have claims, I have concrete numbers & data which people can utilise to help in their buying
decisions; by contrast, you've provided nothing useful at all. If I adopted the same peculiar logic,
I would have to infer your comments must be false since you've provided no data.

Like I say, run 3DMark11/13 in both Performance and Extreme modes, send me the info, I'll be
happy to add it to my site. Otherwise, you're just trolling.

Ian.

Send me the full versions of those programs and I'll happily run them for you and be wary of calling me names as I don't react well to insults.

Stealthman80

Honorable
May 2, 2012
I don't know pricing is a little messed up compared to what I'm seeing locally here. I bought 2 Sapphire 7870XTs for 220$ each a little while ago. The prices on these 760's range from 270-290$ and the cheapest 7950 is 300$ These prices are Canadian so maybe that has something to do with it...but the 760's are at least 30-40$ more then the 7870XT's, and overclocked this card is basically a stock 7950. Seems like its still a better deal to me

BoredErica

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2007
"I just hope Skyrim players with 660s don't upgrade on the assumption newer model names mean better performance, but I expect some will."
760 is better than 660 though.

WaPo just set up a paywall over the last few weeks and runs somewhere in the range of 80 scripts ... including a good many associated with a mobile version re-direct (which attempts to load first, and is much, much more faster than the regular web site).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
All these benchs lead to one conclusion. 1920x1080 is not and has not been worthy of the high resolution standard for several years now. Why the mobile industry pushes higher and higher resolutions yet mainstream monitors are stuck at 1920x1080? I have 3 1920x1080's and those will be the last monitors at that resolution I will ever buy.

Good news for video card buyers. We were thinking $300 for one of these, so $250 is a pleasant surprise. Prepare to see prices go down across the board.

It really is too bad for AMD as last month's sales numbers did not look good, even with the game bundles and price cuts. The GTX 760 is going to really put the pressure on, and that's a good thing for consumers.

Not really, there are reasons to consider either at 250ish price range, IF you are an oveclocker you can coax a lot more power from the HD7950 than you ever can with a GTX760. BUT since very few people OC considerably adn that the HD7950 is generally more expensive(not for much longer), the GTX760 has the recommendation from Toms and me.

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Nice! My planned PC build is getting cheaper each month. Was looking at the 7950 Boost and maybe a discounted 7970 - but it's hard to justify at this price.

My only reservation that is still keeping AMD in consideration is whether or not AMD will manage to get some sort of edge since PC ports of PS4 and Xbox One Games will likely to be optimized for AMD hardware from the start - http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/07/amd-say-pc-ports-of-next-generation-console-titles-are-likely-to-struggle-on-intel-tech/

.... or is that just marketing?

Also seems like the AMD cards have an slight advantage on compute intensive games.

You clearly have not had much to do with Mouse on the forum... You are just freaking out over nothing. Chill...

pauldh

Illustrious

Nope, great price with the bundled games! Enjoy it!

Unless of course that was after mail-in rebate, which isn't the same as instant prices. Still not bad. But I don't like paying sales tax on a full price, then factoring rebates which many folks fail to mail or receive.

CaptainTom

Honorable
May 3, 2012

How do you know they are losing money? I still see 7970's sold out on a regular basis! The fact is AMD has been making the same cards for 1.5 years and they can still easily compete with Nvidia's "New" gen. That means they are profiting a ton of money using the same old process this long.

Just wait until fall when the 9970 will release and blow the titan completely out of the water...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS