GeForce GTX 760 Review: GK104 Shows Up (And Off) At $250

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course, if you don't like the overclocking results on one review, you can always find another.

Anandtech quote:
"In practice GTX 760 ended up exceeding our expectations. In fact it even ended up exceeding GTX 770 with regard to the size of the overclock and the highest boost bin we reached. Altogether we were able to increase the core clock by 150MHz on our GTX 760 sample, going from a base clock of 980MHz to 1130MHz. At the same time our max boost clock went from 1149MHz to 1306MHz, making this the first Kepler we’ve seen to surpass 1300MHz. The end result is that core overclocking ends up being more potent than we were expecting."
http://www.anandtech.com/show/7103/nvidia-geforce-gtx-760-review/17

dalmvern

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
While I seriously dislike the fact that they are basically relabeling old GPUs and calling it another number, there is no doubt that nVidia is definitely making these cards desirable due to their price/performance ratio. It now makes my 660ti irrelevant.

it isnt better. its just cheaper and performs the same.

and no, the 760 does come with metro last light and 75 dollars of in game cash that may or may not be useful

slicedtoad

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2011

No, this is flawed thinking. There are almost always diminishing returns as you climb the performance ladder. In the end it's subjective and up to you, but most people will buy the best they can afford or try to hit a target performance mark. If it was completely up to value, you would look at the System Builder Marathon and decide that a $650 pc is better than a $2500 pc. In reality, it depends on your needs and budget. And a 25% increase for 30% more money really isn't bad as far as diminishing returns go.

Note: I'm not actually checking your numbers or anything, just commenting on your "going by the maths" logic.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Of course, if you don't like the overclocking results on one review, you can always find another.
This is cherry-picking. I've tested the OC stability in long runs and not for a single benchmark.

I have 3 here cards with a workig boost over 1300 MHz, but not one card is able to run more than 1 or 2 hours really stable. It works only for short-time benches but not for long runs. And a lot of cards is not able to reach the 1300 MHz barrier and please note, that a lot of reviewer cards are so-called golden samples for press only. :)

I've proofed my results with "normal" retail cards from a shop and I see no reason to fall into OC euphoria :D

just so happens that others are giving it away

omgoblins

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Yeah, if you can overclock your 7950 to 1200Mhz core 1525Mhz memory you will be over 680 level performance, even over 7970 Ghz Ed performance (stock speeds for both obviously). Here: this is from techpowerup http://tpucdn.com/reviews/HIS/HD_7950_X2_Boost/images/perf_oc.gif This IS back from February with I believe the 12.11 drivers, so both have newer drivers out I'm sure, but AMD has been doing very well in drivers this generation and they are up to 13.6 right now.

7950 is all the card you really need if price is an issue. It's incredible you can get one for $250 nowadays, especially with the 4 game bundle!

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Just wondering, how stable is that OC on the 7950, also what type of cooling was used?

I might look into OC'ing that card, but I've never done over clocking before.

Shoudl be better now that the game has been out for a while.

I have 2 of these : http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation/product/?cid=1&gid=3&sgid=1157&lid=1&pid=1450&leg=0

Got one up and stable to 1280MHz/1615MHz, a little on the hot side though, the other can reach 1200MHz/1575MHz, both on the dual-x stock cooler.
However in xfire they only at 1180MHz/1575MHz fully stable, I am assuming its due to power delivery, I have a single rail PSU and it jitters a bit when I start getting the 2 HD7950s above 1200MHz.

kmelaza

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2010
I Wish i waited a bit to buy the GTX 760 instead of my GTX 660 which i payed 230$ for lol and has been sitting in a box for months lol. The GTX 760 is only 30$ more than what i payed for my GTX 660, the price/performance difference is so worth an extra 30$. But overall the gTX 660 seems to perform really well at High- ultra presets in games at 1080p, aslong as i get a minimum of 35-30FPS im happy, and you can always lower AA to get a boost in frames if necesary.

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Thanks.

omgoblins

Honorable
Feb 25, 2012

Very stable for me. I have the MSI R7950 Twin Frozr III 3GB. It's more expensive than the Sapphire Dual-X version (which I hear is just as good and capable as the MSI) but it was actually the cheapest ($309 AR + 3 games) when I got it like 6 months back or so. I always prefer MSI and Twin Frozr coolers because I have had unrivaled stability and overclocking performance compared to the other brands I've tried.

I was able to hit 1200 Mhz Core, 1700 Mhz memory overclock on my card very easily, with stock cooler settings and stock voltage, just using MSI Afterburner. This was stable in most games I played like Total War Shogun 2 and Battlefield 3 plus some other games that weren't as demanding at 1200p. When I went to play Skyrim (verrrrry heavily modified to be super demanding) I started getting the green artifact errors, what I discovered is that Skyrim didn't like a memory overclock of higher than 1525Mhz (effective 6100mhz). After I toned that down I had no problems. This was soon after I got the card, like 6 months ago which was with way older drivers, probably the early 12.x ones.

I haven't tried raising the memory speeds since (haven't had a need to) as that's the game I mostly play thats the most texture demanding and I haven't noticed much if any performance difference in Shogun 2 or Battlefield 3 or anything else. So I would focus firstmost on core clock speeds because memory isn't as important to most FPS in games.

Now my card seems to be quite well (which has been my experience with MSI) I know some other people who cannot get to 1200 Mhz / 1525Mhz at stock voltage. But you should be able to get to 1100Mhz - that's considered quite standard. If you want to raise the voltage then you should definitely be able to hit 1200 or higher. I have pushed mine up to 1300 Mhz by adding voltage, but I don't need the power so I just prefer to keep all my voltages stock on overclocks (GPU, CPU, RAM).

You really cannot go wrong with a 7950. The most important thing to remember is to choose a solid card. Right now the cheapest is $250 + 4 AAA game combo, which is the Sapphire Dual-X 7950. Another good option for reliability is the Gigabyte Windforce 7950 (this will be as quiet and cool as the Twin Frozr III or better I have heard) but the revision 2 of this card is voltage locked meaning you cannot overvolt it so you will only be able to overclock up to whatever at stock voltage (1100Mhz is considered the standard, 1200Mhz is considered to be a very good card). I have never had much of an opinion on ASUS, but their cooler and reliability is well respected. I still have to say the top rated card in my mind is the MSI R7950 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814127667. I like it because it has a great cooling solution and a quiet cooling solution, it looks good, and it used a 7970 PCB which I believe helps attribute to it's overclocking power (I have seen multiple people hit 1200Mhz at stock voltage on this card and more! I just stopped at 1200Mhz because I like the even number and don't want to push for every extra 5 Mhz, etc.)

Hope this helps anyone interested in finding the best power and performance for the price. You have to be willing to overclock, but if you are than there is no option better than the 7950. For anyone who hasn't overclocked its really so simple. The MSI Afterburner program is free to download and simple to use, you simply move a few sliders to select your speed and press a button to apply the settings. Then you run a program like FurMark11 (free) to make sure your settings are okay, if they aren't the program will crash or your computer will restart. Then you lower your overclock (or increase voltage) and try again until you find something stable. It's very easy and there are plenty of guides and resources, including this sites forums.

viewgamer

Honorable
Aug 23, 2012

Well Chris, that would make perfect sense ONLY if HDAO was AMD exclusive and/or HBAO was Nvidia exclusive, but you can use either of those settings on both AMD & Nvidia graphics cards.

If I had an AMD or an Nvidia card I won't just automatically go ahead and use HDAO or HBAO based on which card I have, I will try both & use the one I like more, so not all AMD users will use HDAO & not all Nvidia users will use HBAO.

So it is in fact an unfair test because HDAO & HBAO aren't the same setting & they will negatively affect performance with a different degree of severity.

The point of a benchmark is to asses the performance of different GPUs when they are tasked equally, tasking a GPU more than the others defeats the purpose.

Thanks for your reply.

Atlas T

Honorable
Jun 18, 2013
Just a quick question: Would a Core i5-2310 2.9GHz (factory locked) bottleneck a fully overclocked GTX 760?

@Review
This is indeed a great GPU, and a potential buy for me - assuming the launch price isn't offensively absurd here in Brazil eg 550 dollars.

Paul Greer

Honorable
Jul 1, 2013
evga has a 4 gb version for about 279 is that the best choice for around 300 budget or should I wait for the 3 gb super clocked to come back it . I will be running two monitors off it and I use it for gaming

jrstriker12

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013

Good info, thanks!

Only thing about the MSI TF coolers that I really do not like and kill them for me is the "whine" they have when the fans spin up, I think its the metal design that does it, that specific noise is just so annoying. Otherwise, great cards.

they spin backwards to kick out dust @100% before returning to normal

Interesting... Source?

JJ1217

Honorable

Depends on which one you're talking about. TFIV I believe has that technology, with bigger fans and a beefier heatsink. The TFIII ones, on most of their TwinFrozr Cards, doesn't have it, and has tiny fans and a smaller heatsink. The only cards I've seen people complain about regarding TwinFrozr, is the TFIII coolers, especially on the very popular 7950 one for the 8+6 pin PCB.

Yeah I was referring to the TFIII's, think Toms had a roundup of HD7950s a while back with a video that illustrated the sound quite well.

mapesdhs

Distinguished

You can 'dispute' all you like, you're wrong, period. :D Beats me why you're
so insistent, but feel free, doesn't bother me. I know the results I have and
referred to earlier, which of course you've completely ignored. What makes me
laugh is the blatantly lame way you deliberately cherry pick words; have you
considered a career in politics? You'd be ideal. :D I said they can be, and I
quite clearly clarified it with with references to the clock range of available
560Tis; stock models won't, good ones can, oc'd good ones definitely will.
Your continued denial must be some kind of mental issue, since I can't think
of any other cause.

I posted the proof; if you don't like it, go fish.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.