GeForce GTX 760 Review: GK104 Shows Up (And Off) At $250

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seth89

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Nvidia card for 250?! This card is a no brainer for anyone looking to build a budget PC with lots of gaming power. I like the EVGA 4GB version.

Matt087_48

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2012
well for everyone who has 250 dollars for one single video card this is great news , i'm personally content with my Galaxy GTX 460 768mb card i bought on amazon for 65 dollars shipped that came packaged as new with everything in immaculate shape deals like this make me want to shop around

psiboy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
Chris you really need to get SOMEONE ELSE to proof read your work.

"The GeForce cards come out ahead in the Folding@Home benchmark, while the Radeons remain favorites in financial analysis. Looking specifically at the GeForce GTX 760, we can see that its lower number of compute resources hurts it in OpenCL and compute-heavy scenarios. The card was able to mask this shortcoming in gaming tests thanks to higher memory bandwidth, but when it comes to crunching numbers, that’s not a bottleneck."

1. The Geforce cards do NOT come out ahead in Folding@home you clearly have the radeon at the top of one chart and second on the other!

2. I think you meant "that IS a bottle neck" at least if you look at the graphs...

Oh and even though your site shows me as some kind of junior member (I believe it has eaten my stats at least twice) I have been reading the site since the 90's.

Cheers,

Bernard

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I personally, would never go by this scale. I put it out as a possible measure. It depends on how much performance you WANT. If you go by simple, "it is worth it" questions, my answer was technically the perfect way of thought.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

I don't know which comment you are replying too, but to back up this Chris guy, in my experience, Nvidia cards tend to do better in folding, in terms of real PPD.

Shawna593767

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012
I would like to see a 760 Ti at $300.
Something along the lines of GK104 with 1344 Cuda cores, 7 SMX units, 112 Texture units, 32 ROPs, 850MHz base clock speed, 900MHz boost clock speed, 2048Mb of 1752MHz (7.0Gbps total) GDDR5 on a 256-bit bus (224.3 Gb/sec), around 210W with a six pin connector and a 8 pin connector, maximum double SLI.
Warning I pulled all of this info out of my head, deciding what would be a good trade off for nvidia to have a middle card that is separated from the 760 and the 770. This is only my wishes and not an actual product.

I do not even think the GTX760ti will even be on the table until AMD responds with their next gen.

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013

True.

I saw that you had a new post in my "followed threads" page, but didn't expect a real answer as your username was the typical spam "first name followed by random numbers". Since it didn't disappear instantly, I decided to check it out, and found a real answer. Are you trying to trick people? What the heck is 593767?

Shawna593767

Honorable
Feb 26, 2012

If your referring to my 760Ti Wish Specifications (which upon viewing the page explains that these specifications aren't real), I just wanted to list out what I thought the specifications of such a card would be. So no I'm not trying to trick people and if I did I'm sorry. And towards your reference of spamming, I do not like to think of myself as spamming but the concept is broad enough that what is acceptable to one could be less than acceptable to others. Lastly, the number 593767 was an old lunch number that I continue to use in usernames and such. So does this solve you conundrum?

JPNpower

Honorable
Jun 7, 2013
No no. I loved your post and agree with it completely. Just your username was strange, and all my other threads are filled with posts from a "Julia256753", "Jamie532418" or something that is actually spam.

I do wish your 760ti spec will come to reality some day. Hell, they probably already have it, and are holding the release until AMD responds, and when prices drop enough for it to make sense.

jmr1969

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
I would have liked to have seen benchmark scores on those 760 cards since they had them in hand. Its a bit disappointing and hard to choose which model to get. Evga vs Gigabyte vs Inno3D vs MSI

This is not a round-up. Get whichever suits your needs.

ThePugg

Reputable
Apr 27, 2014
So i just went SLI with these cards and noticed the new card has a different BIOS then my original one. Does this matter and if so how do i obtain the new bios file and how do I flash the BIOS on video cards?

You should be fine with a different BIOS. Just in case, here is some info for BIOS flashing (not recommended if everything works):
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2258/nvflash-5-142-for-windows/
http://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/index.php?architecture=NVIDIA&manufacturer=&model=GTX+760&interface=&memType=&memSize=

Status
Not open for further replies.