GeForce GTX 760 won't fit in Motherboard?

PaladinAzumarill

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
I'm still in the middle of assembling my PC, when I ran into a problem with the Video Card.
After removing all the covers on the part and taking out a piece of cover on the back of the PC case where the video ports would fit into, I tried to install the Video Card (after undoing the locking mechanism on the PCI Express x16 Slot). Only the long part of the connector goes in while the tiny part does not even go in. I made sure that the video card was square with the slot. I'm afraid if I force it down too hard, I'll break the Motherboard. Help?

Motherboard: ASRock H97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Dual Superclocked ACX Video Card
Case: BitFenix Comrade ATX Mid Tower Case

Solution
As Jack said insert the card from the slot side first, otherwise it won't fit. You also have to make sure that the two metal tabs at the bottom end of the card slide in between the case and motherboard. Align the slots, then push the card in, the side with the locking tab should go in last.

You need to remove two slot covers on the back of the case.

You don't touch the "unlocking" mechanism when installing the card. ONLY when taking it out.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
If I understand correctly, the "tiny part" you are referring to is the hook that latches on to the "locking" mechanism on the pcie slot. That part is not supposed to go in the slot. Make sure you press down evenly on the card until the hook on the card latches on.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013

Ok, that is possible and makes sense, hopefully he clarifies the issue for us.

The pictures confirmed what I said above in 3rd post. You have 2 problems.:

1. It's a unlocking mechanism;; you don't need to unlock something that isn't there. Put it back were it was and you should be fine. Do NOT touch it until removing the card.

2. Your card will occupy expansion slots 2 and 3. Take off 3 and use it to close expansion slot 1 if you like.

Can you take a picture displaying the "won't fit" portion? The three pictures were nice, but it doesn't really describe the issue. In the act of installing the graphics card, get to the point where the issue occur and take a picture showing how it doesn't fit.

Though, it's possible that one of the back slots is blocking the way.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
Ok, I saw the pictures, JackNaylorPE is right. The first slot cover that was already removed from your pc is for the pcie x1 slot that is above pcie x16 slot. So as Jack said, you need to remove the third cover from the top in order for the card to fit in properly.

The card looks a bit slanted in that picture. Does it not fit even if you push the card in all at the same time without putting one end in but not the other? It should not require a lot of force to push it in, but just a little bit. Just align it but keep the card parallel to the slot and push it straight in without tilting it such that one end is in before the other.

It would appear that you have not aligned and inserted the silver tabs correctly. There are two metal tabs at the end pf the card where it meets the back of the case. This end should do in 1st and oft if not watching these tabs get hung up on the slot opening or edge of MoBo. Make sure that these metal tabs are not hung up b4 trying to get the tabs in.

PaladinAzumarill

Honorable
Jun 22, 2014
I guess I'm just inadequate for the job when it comes to Video Card installation. My hands must be bad, shockingly enough :/

Just so you know, I had detached the Motherboard before attempting the installation. My case allows me to move the Motherboard around freely, so if I ever get the Video Card in, I can just "slide" the board into place with the I/O and openings of the back of the case and screw the board back on.

I'll give it a rest for tonight, I'm shot. Hopefully I won't have to make a house call to a professional just to fix this. That would be bad. Good night for now.

ekagori

Honorable
Feb 9, 2013
As Jack said insert the card from the slot side first, otherwise it won't fit. You also have to make sure that the two metal tabs at the bottom end of the card slide in between the case and motherboard. Align the slots, then push the card in, the side with the locking tab should go in last.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS