Geforce GTX 965M performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

basch99

Honorable
May 8, 2012
Hello guys. After the big E3 reveal this week, I've been concerned about how the 965M might hold up to games like Fallout 4 (in particular). In the past GPUs that roughly equivalate the GPUs inside the current gen consoles was deemed to be (8800GT/PS3) and currently was the minimum requirements, for example with Witcher 3 (r9 270x/HD 7870/PS4/Xbox One). Do you think Fallout 4 will have requirements that high, or just a notch below that. I'd like to be able to play it maybe not ultra, but high at 1080p at 40+ fps. Doable, or is it just a wishful thinking? Is the gtx 965M really that close to the 7870 in performance, or is there a huge difference? Thanks guys. I've only very recently ventured into the world of gaming laptops, and this was my concern.

LilTwist

Reputable
Mar 28, 2014
I own the MSI GE72 2QE Apache laptop that has 12Gb of ram a GTX 965m GPU and an i7 4720HQ CPU and as of right now I play Fallout 4 and I have to have settings on pretty low for the game to run butter smooth ultra texture quality is not an option. what i suggest is to let the developers update and patch the game a little more hopefully they add in more graphics options that will allow one to turn off Physx because I play Borderlands 2 also and I can play that game at max settings but I have to turn off Nvidia PhysX for the game to work properly. Idk if Fallout 4 has PhysX but I assume it does or something of the equivalent because the 965m GPU has pretty close to the performance of the GTX 750 TI I should know I own both and have looked up benchmarks and comparisons as well and the 750 TI is no slouch both GPUs' can play Skyrim at max settings 1080p no problem 30-60 fps also the same company that made Skyrim made Fallout 4 as well and truthfully the graphics are the same the only difference between the 2 games is story. Fallout 4 is Skyrim but post apocalyptic. Think of Fallout 4 as Skyrim with tech and guns but anyway the GTX 965m GPU should be able to play Fallout 4 better than it currently does I just think they need to update and patch the game a little more for the game to utilize yours and my GPU better but right now if you want good game play with a 965m you need AA=FXAA Anisotropic Filtering=4 or Off Texture Quality=High Shadow Quality=Medium Shadow Distance=Medium Decal Quantity=Ultra Lighting Quality=Medium Godrays=Off Depth of Field=Bokeh Ambient Occlusion=Off Screen Space Reflections=Checked Wetness=Checked Rain Occlusion=Checked Motion Blur=UnChecked Lens Flare=UnChecked
for view distances actor and object fade can be maxed but to save some gpu grass and item fade at lower settings Distant Object Detail=High or Medium if you want to save gpu and Object Detail Fade=High or Medium if you want to save gpu
With those settings I can plan Fallout 4 just fine but if I try to put Texture quality to Ultra for some reason inside of buildings where details are closer makes the game stutterish but High is fine.
If you find better settings please let me know because I would love to play this game smooth at Ultra with no stutter the game is stunning at that setting

Status
Not open for further replies.