GeForce GTX Titan X Review: Can One GPU Handle 4K?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting move by nVidia to send a G-Sync monitor... So to trade off the lackluster performance over the GTX980, they wanted to cover it up with a "smooth experience", huh? hahaha.

I'm impressed by their shenanigans. They up themselves each time.

In any case, at least this card looks fine for compute.

Cheers!

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
The R9 295x2 beats the Titan in almost every benchmark, and it's almost half the price.. I know the Titan X is just one gpu but the numbers don't lie nvidia. And nvidia fanboys can just let the salt flow through your veins that a previous generation card(s) can beat their newest and most powerful card. Cant wait for the 3xx series to smash the nvidia 9xx series

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013
Interesting move by nVidia to send a G-Sync monitor... So to trade off the lackluster performance over the GTX980, they wanted to cover it up with a "smooth experience", huh? hahaha.

Cheers!
Paying almost double for a 30% increase in performance??? Shenanigans alright xD

dstarr3

Distinguished
I don't know. I have a GTX770 right now, and I really don't think there's any reason to upgrade until we have cards that can average 60fps at 4K. And... that's unfortunately not this.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well this is actually cheaper than I expected. Interesting card and would really benefit for less heat... The Throttling is really the limiting factor in here.
But yeah, this is expensive for its power as Titans always have been, but it is not out of reach neither. We need 14 to 16nm finvet GPU to make really good 4K graphic cards!
Maybe in the next year...

People go on comparing a dual GPU 295x2 to a single-GPU TitanX. What about games where there is no Crossfire profile? It's effectively a TitanX vs 290X comparison.
Personally, I think a fair comparison would be the GTX Titan X vs the R9 390X. Although I heard NVIDIA's card will be slower then.
Alternatively, we could go for 295X2 vs TitanX SLI or 1080SLI(Assuming a 1080 is a Titan X with a few SMMs disabled, and half the VRAM, kind of like the Titan and 780).

Cheers!
Paying almost double for a 30% increase in performance??? Shenanigans alright xD

You're surprised? Early adopters always pay the premium. I find it interesting you mention "almost every benchmark" when comparing this GPU to a dual GPU of last generation. Sounds impressive on a purely performance measure. I am not a fan of SLI but I suspect two of these would trounce anything around.

Either way the card is way out of my market but now that another card has taken top honors, maybe it will bleed the 970/980 prices down a little into my cheapskate hands.

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

What games dont have a crossfire profile? And why bother comparing a Titan X SLI vs a 295x2 when the SLI would cost almost 4x as much? Sure the performance would marginally be better (30-40% max), but at what cost? At a performance per dollar perspective the Titan X and Tian X SLI would be scraping the very bottom of the barrel.

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

Just because it's one gpu doesn't mean people should pay twice for less performance. If you can't see that than I honestly do not understand... And they're supposed ace in the hole is the 12 GB of vram and G-Sync performance, but for a "4k" card I for one and not impressed

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

It's completely up to you whether or not to believe the rumors that come out over time, but I would usually just wait until the actual card to come out and then compare the benchmarks :p

Unless of course we're talking about the GTX 970 scandal

Feb 15, 2015

Cheers!

Your surprised? Early adopters always pay the premium. I find it interesting you mention "almost every benchmark" when comparing this GPU to a dual GPU of last generation. Sounds impressive on a purely performance measure. I am not a fan of SLI but I suspect two of these would trounce anything around.

Either way the card is way out of my market but now that another card has taken top honors, maybe it will bleed the 970/980 prices down a little into my cheapskate hands.

Single (and Crossfired) 295X2 vs 2 GTX Titans in SLI coming right up, read and weep:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/radeon-r9-295x2-crossfire-performance,3808-4.html

SLI 2xTitan X + GSYNC.

If money was not an issue that's what I would do.

*And why do people whine about the COST of any of the Titan cards? NVidia isn't misleading anybody here; if you don't think it's worth the cost then don't buy it.

I don't complain because my FERRARI wasn't a good value.

I've bought Nvidia cards for the last 5 years, my last AMD card being a 5770. However, I have a bad taste in my mouth left with the 970 snafu (although currently I'm okay with the performance of mine at 1440p...for *now*...but I bought it for tomorrow too). Between that and this less-than-stellar result of this new Titan, I'm just not getting the warm and fuzzy feeling of confidence I used to with Nvidia. And who knows if THIS card's specs are truly correct, huh?? Depending on what AMD trots out with the new Radeon 3xx series, I just may be switching back to the Red Team as I make the move to 4K next year.

Cash091

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2009

What games dont have a crossfire profile? And why bother comparing a Titan X SLI vs a 295x2 when the SLI would cost almost 4x as much? Sure the performance would marginally be better (30-40% max), but at what cost? At a performance per dollar perspective the Titan X and Tian X SLI would be scraping the very bottom of the barrel.

It totally comes down to a performance per dollar thing. I'm shocked that with the 295x2 beating this in benches, they went with such a high price tag. $700 would have been a decent, yet high, price point for this card. I can see the appeal of this card, but the 295x2 outshines it. As the article states, the only people who want this are ones who don't have room to cool the 295x2 in their cases. What would be interesting to see, is 2 of these vs. 2 295x2's(or 290x/295x2)!

Impressive at 4k resolutions. I thought this card would run for $1500, glad it's only $1000 (even though I can almost guarantee you I won't buy it, even if I had the money).

I wish they did at least 2 way SLI tests, that would of been fun.

Any chance of trying three 4k monitors with a 3 or 4 way SLI titan X config?

I prefer the silver finish on the regular titan and titan Z also, pure black doesn't look that great. :)

chiefpiggy

Honorable
Nov 11, 2013

As companies strive for perfection, they should make their cards the most appealing to all audiences as they can.

In your case, you "own a Ferrari." When someone buys a Ferrari (or any car, house, etc.), it is assumed that they are in for a more permanent investment. New graphics cards, by nature, are released every year-year and a half, causing new graphics cards to become outdated and obsolete within 3-5 years after being released. When someone gets a Ferrari, it's assumed that the car will retain most, if not all of its value after being purchased. Whereas graphics cards are concerned, they lose value relatively quickly.

lol at some of you complaining about the cost of a professional card designed for double floating point numbers. it cost the same as the last titan… you cannot find a keplar titan for under $500 even now.

otherwise its a beast like we knew it would be, even at a paltry 1000mhz? show us the classified at 1400mhz.

ROFL! Weeping from laughter.

Beatrice... is that you? "That is not how this works... that's not how any of this works!"

Status
Not open for further replies.