GeForce GTX Titan X Review: Can One GPU Handle 4K?

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
All this money discussions are simply senseless. It is also senseless to compare prices of new and older cards. If you have the money, buy what you want (and when) and if not, buy simply what you can. But to buy a R9 295X2 was my own decision and to buy another card will be exactly the same.

At the end it is my money and it exists more then one reason to buy card A or B. But this is my money and my very subjective decision, the forum or third persons are really uninteresting in this moment - not more, but also not less. :)

Sekeira

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

Irrelevant comment, it doesn't matter since a few months ago the Titan X wasn't out, a few months ago if you wanted a Titan here in EU you would pay close to 3000€....

What matters is now, Titan X is out and I used the same card Tomshardware used in it's conclusion to compare to it, it that card costs half and performs better most times.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Again - this money discussions are really worth- and senseless.

And to be honest:
The price of a product is a really perfect mirror of the market! The current price of the R9 295X2 reflects only their position and popularity. If Nvidia means to sell the Titan X for this price, why not? If you have something to sell, you also will try to sell it for the highest possible price. Both companies, AMD and Nvdia are not the Mother Theresa for gamers. Don't forget this :)

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

keep your LOLs , I can Buy 4 of Titan X in SLI if I wanted to . but I never paid for Overpriced stuff in my life.

and yes Nvidia are greedy ...

The so called professional Quadro cards are just software buddy , not hardware !!! theymake you pay $5000 for the same hardware but with different software and drivers.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

sorry , I disagree . and I am rich enogh to pay $30K for a PC if I wanted to , but I dont pay for something that is not worth the money , just for being TOP in the market while it is not TOP in fps/$ ratio .

I will stay with 1440P for the time being.

and if you want to prove me wrong , call Nvidia and demand GTX 970 with 8G ram . Lets see if they will release such card.

Also , you are wrong , before the Titan came , Top cards with single GPU were between $600-$650

$1000 started with Dual GPU cards .

and you know this very well. and for looooong time ! until nvidia Greed made a new price for TOP , $1000 with the first Titan a single GPU TOP card. shame on them. ...

Sekeira

Reputable
Oct 17, 2014

No it is not worthless and senseless!

If it was why would the reviewers mention it? And this being the comment section of that review (add to that that we are the consumers) and it makes perfect sense for people to give their opinion on the matter.

It was my opinion, I started my original post by saying "If I...".

Of course everyone can make with their money what they please, I never argued with that but we can discuss, give our opinions of what is reasonable as a consumer.

And, in the end, we should all criticize this price practices. It ruins it for all of us and I am afraid that Amd will just "follow the leader" and make their flagship pricier than it would have to be if there was more competition. You say prices are a perfect mirror of the Markets but it is not quite so, prices are decided on Marketing departments nowadays and they often times try to shape up the markets themselves rather than be shaped by them.

like i said you just angry that the company did not want to sell their stuff at a level that is acceptable to you. even before nvidia come up with titans expensive GPU from nvidia is not something that unheard of. ever heard of 8800 Ultra? if you don't like it then just ignore it and buy the card that you think worth your money. end of story.

as for 970 8GB i dare to bet it might not come out. probably have similar reason to why there is no 6GB 780Ti despite there is one for 780. called it greed or whatever you like but in the end it will not going to affect you. because there are always alternatives namely AMD. it's not like we don't have choices.

because above all else making profit is the main priority. personally i don't have problem with that at all.

greedy has nothing to do with it. its called functional capitalism. the titan x preorders are all sold out, so nvidia could have charged more likely.

like said in a comment above... "it seems that you just angry with nvidia because they are not selling the hardware at the price that you're willing to pay"

"criticize this price practices"... ? what does that mean? communism failed, so making this about politics is getting way off subject. we live in america the land of the free, and nvidia is free to charge whatever they want to, its a right protected by the constitution and thankfully so.

look at the prices on ebay... some end users are making $300-400. nvidia does not intend to sell this to end users who are just going to make more profit per card than they themselves did, thats just dumb and a perfect way for a company to go out of business.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012

I already said it's basically drivers for the pro cards that is the difference and ECC support etc, more testing, it's more than just some software (same as server chips, it's a lot more than just software buddy). But you still seem to be missing the point. NV doesn't make more than $233mil a year if you take off Intels 266mil/yr payment (which goes away in 2016). How little should this company make when selling 4B+ in revenue and only netting 233mil? Do they need to go bankrupt before your happy? Sorry...LOL. BTW, AMD is already heading there, so I sincerely hope they start charging according even if I'd hate price hikes. I want them ALIVE, and that requires PROFIT (for both sides).

You can call them greedy when they make at least a billion a year (at least that would beat 2007 profits finally again). Until then LOL.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Why Quadro and FirePro cards are more expensive than consumer cards is very easy to describe:

Both companies have to pay for a lot of additional manpower
- driver optimization for a lot of applications
- development of plugins and libraries for a lot of pro-applications
- very long testing process for stability
- guaranted customer support over a long time

Additional costs:
- certification process and certificates from software vendors
- licenses, patents and software

The PCB is mostly the same and the TitanX and the Quadro M6000 are using for example the same PCB. But some components might be different in their quality in such cases. But the higher prices are only the result of a lot additional costs (see above) and the follow of a comparatively small number of sold cards. That's all. If you buy a thing to earn money with it, you have to pay a lot of money first. Welcome in real life ;)

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

in reality you need more manpower for games than 3D software optimization.

how many 3D software are there ? 5 ? 6? 10 ?

and how many games are there ? Thousands !

it is all about the Target they are targeting , they know the Projects that uses their cards pays well . Millions of Dollars Projects , being industrial , Civil , or Movie making . so they want a bite from it ... thats all.

as for man power and all this stuff , it is not real ! they need more man power for games in reality.

now for the support ,

look at Dell Optiplex line , and Power Edge lines , and server lines .. if you look at the hardware parts , compared to Dell Home Products , they sell them same Price .. or maybe 20% more at most.

The same goes for testing for stability , it never makes the servers and PC workstation 10 times more expensive than normal pc .. just in the 20% margin.

now look at Quadro Cards , they sell them TEN TIMES the price , that is 1000% the Price !!

so again , no way acceptable at all.

Nvidia are VERY greedy and thats because they are the only Players in the market.

FormatC

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
in reality you need more manpower for games than 3D software optimization.
Disagree

BTW: I've worked 17 years in German industry as programmer (CAD, CAE, CAM). Construction and simulation are more complex than each game I saw. CAD/CAE != DirectX. This D3D API is a single precision bitch and how many good and important DX engines we have on the market? A handful. As I've heard from a former colleague, BMW will replace all K6000 with M6000 in the next time to save time and money. It is a unwritten law in industry that you have to pay first a lot of money for a professional tool to earn money with it later. One small example are the new Iray plugins for different applications. All this things must be verified and proofed. Quadro users will get it for free, GeForce users have to pay for it.

Stability is another time-expensive factor. Situations like return to deskop can you ignore in games (just restart it) but not in a productive area (you may lost a lot of time and money). Show me a game and drivers that works from the first day of game release. I don't know not one so-called block buster game without faults and problems. Nvidia and AMD must certify EACH Quadro or Catalyst Pro driver and pay the software vendors for proofing. This is really not cheap. :D

The TFlops in the data sheets are a very theoretic thing and can be reached only with very simple formulas and under special conditions. A real workflow gives you complete different results and if you need a fast cache then a lot of cards will fail. The Hawaii-based high-end FirePro cards like W9100 or W8100 are perfect number crunchers but you can use this big power only in a very limited field of applications. But I see a light at the end of the tunnel for AMD, because all this mid-class and entry-level cards have more features in a lot of apps. The W7100 is a good example for a good price and more or less good performance. For AutoCAD users it is mostly enough and costs not so much.

CptBarbossa

Honorable
Jan 10, 2014
Ok seriously? They sell it at that price because people will pay that. Simple business plan. I am sure the can sell quadro cards for a lot less and still make money, but why would they? The product is clearly "worth" what they are selling it for.

An example of where nvidia overpriced their card was the TitaZ. Cost 1k more than 2 titan blacks and twice as much as the r9 295x2, but still performed worse. That is definitely a point where I would say Nvidia was arrogant.

I digress. The value of a product is based on what people will pay for them. If people stop buying quadro cards and start going for firepro, nividia will drop their price or go bankrupt. Simple as that. Most basic form of economics. SUPPLY AND DEMAND! Too much supply and low demand drives down price. High demand and low supply raises price.

Remember when AMD GPU prices skyrocketed due to cryptomining? You couldnt even find new AMD gpu's, and if you could they were stupid expensive because everyone was gobbling them up for mining. Same principle. AMD couldnt make em fast enough.

I am not a huge nvidia fan, but to call them greedy for wanting to make a profit is just juvenile.

Yah... people will avoid this card like the plague because of the price. I bet there are tons collecting dust right now.

Ohh wait, they are completely sold out and out of stock EVERYWHERE. If you are bitching about price, this is not for you. I cannot understand how you fail to see this point.

On eBay, 5 have sold in the last 30 days:
$1874.00 on Bid
$1794.00 on Bid
$1349.00 Buy Now
$1310.00 Buy Now
$1200.00 Offer Accepted

All prices USD

I'm sure you're right... this fad will pass... lol :sarcastic:

bloc97

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2010
4K monitors still cost a huge amount of money. I'll keep using my 1080p screen for a while, at least until they drop the prices in the sub 300$ range.

I think people compalaining about the price are forgetting one thing: This is undoubtedly still the best single graphics card for gaming by Nvidia. That means there is nothing above it to stay within margin of. Take the 960 for example - you can't make it too low in cost because no one will buy 750Ti, and if you make it too high no one will buy it because of the 970. Raise the price of the Titan X? It does not matter, there is nothing higher than it, so you either pay a lot for the best single graphics card or don't, which comes down to a personal decision.

I do think that people are ignoring the fact that running 2x980s can be a struggle with only 4GB vRAM. 4K games will use more than this and some people may be sorry they didn't purchase a card with more vRAM. 12GB vRAM is much better if someone goes SLI with Titans. I do think the Titan X is priced fine.

ThePsycho Supaman

Reputable
Jul 15, 2014
SLI 2xTitan X + GSYNC.

If money was not an issue that's what I would do.

*And why do people whine about the COST of any of the Titan cards? NVidia isn't misleading anybody here; if you don't think it's worth the cost then don't buy it.

I don't complain because my FERRARI wasn't a good value.
SLI 2xTitan X + GSYNC.

*And why do people whine about the COST of any of the Titan cards? NVidia isn't misleading anybody here; if you don't think it's worth the cost then don't buy it.

SLI 2xTitan X + GSYNC.

SLI 2xTitan X + GSYNC.

I agree totally! If the price is bothering you, maybe you shouldn't even be looking at the titan. Go ahead and get the 295 x2 or whatever. Ordering my titan x this Saturday and gonna grab another next month. That setup will hold me longer then my current 780ti sli solution.

cub_fanatic

Honorable
Nov 21, 2012

You really have too much time on your hands. So, how did you know what my job was? Just because I am hoping the 390x costs about the same as the 290x did and the 980 does, I have a "crappy paycheck". You need to stop making assumptions about people's lives based on comments they make. My paycheck and how I spend my money is none of your god damn business.

Arabian Knight

Reputable
Feb 26, 2015

I agree with you and learned new things from you. but you did not address the manpower and cost needed for this.

What I am trying to say is , this is their Job to do and the cost is never Justified.

Look at the Xeons from intel for example , they are Priced right. being professional CPU or Desktop CPU , and it does need ALOT of man power and stability research.

you will not find a 6 cores Xeon more expensive than a 6 cores i7 .

true the 10 cores and 18 cores reach $4000 but they are different Hardware and not the same one.

I agree with all what you said . but this does not justify the price Tag what so ever.

they want to charge $5K for the same hardware of $700 just for support and software ?

too much IMO.

and remember , those people in the industry business STILL need Xeons CPU and chipsets and drivers and stability !! and intel is not asking them 10 times the price of the same silicon for that. not even Double.

IMO , The best solution to solve this , is to sell the Card as "Hardware" with Hardware Warranty only , and Make Contracts for "software Support" .

This is fair !

silver_bell

Honorable
Jan 16, 2014
Iknow that companies Works all time on a new products in order to espand market , but i think that isnt good to all. My thought is, nvidia launch a gtx 750 ti less tan 2 or 3 years ago , next gtx 760. I talk only this cards for not complicate the thing. Amd launch the R7 250, next R7260 and next R9270 i mentioned this because the Price similarities now my thought. What game or games are made specially for any of this cards in order to take advantage of the cards???? Because if no game are specific design to one card specifically we the consumer never see the advantage and capabilities of the card we pay for. You can add manually more AA, ANISO, SPR BUT IF GAMES ARE NOT DESIGN FOR SPECIFIC VIDEO CARD A $200 CARD WORK FINE AT 1680 X 1050 AT 50 60 FPS . Why to pay $100 to play the same game????

Status
Not open for further replies.