[SOLVED] GeForce GTX285 capability issues?

Nov 19, 2021
So i just bought 2 CB272U monitor to replace an old Samsung HD tv I was using. I have an Nvidia Geforce GTX 286 with two DVI-I dual link ports capable of rendering 2k. When i plug one or both of the of the new monitors in, i get almost nothing. It will start to boot, i will briefly get the windows 10 start up screen, then it goes black, no signal. However, when i remove one of the HDMI cables from either monitor and plug it into my old Sammy TV, i get dual screen, can log in and set either screen up however i want. I can then take the HDMI out of the working new monitor and plug it into the other new one and it flashes up. Once I get it working though, if I either unplug the Samsung HDMI or select "display only on screen 1" (1 being the new monitor in this example), the new monitor goes black and I have to wait for it to revert and get both screens again to operate. I set them all to 1920x1080 so that i wouldn't run into resolution problems.

In short, the monitors will ONLY, on their own, work when one of the two ports in my video card is plugged into my old Samsung. They will never work while both plugged in, or when only one monitor is hooked up. I've also installed the driver for the CB272U. Hope someone can shed some light on this. Thanks in advance.

Solution
Boot into safe mode. Remove the installed monitor(s) from device manager. Reboot and install the correct monitor profiles.

Your system is trying to feed a signal to your monitor that it simply cannot handle. It is either a resolution issue or more than likely a refresh rate it doesn't like. Removing the old monitor profile will set it back to a windows generic and if it can autodetect the new monitor it should set to a usable resolution/refresh. Monitor drivers aren't really drivers in the normal sense. They are more like profiles that tell the computer what refresh/resolution combos the monitor can use. When the wrong ones are used you get either a black screen or everything goes haywire. That is why the computer asks when you...
Nov 19, 2021
The new monitors are rated 2560 x 1440@75 Hz. Can anyone tell me how this relates to the graphics card? I believe the drop downs for frequency in my display options only go as high as 60hz for both the new monitor and the old TV.

Nov 19, 2021
Update: got the new monitors working on their own from either DVI output by unchecking the Samsung in the Nvidia control panel rather than the windows one. However, as soon as I plug both monitors in, no signal…. It’s like the graphics card can’t handle both. Far as I can tell, it should….??

Nov 19, 2021
The DVI of your card supports up to 2560x1600@60Hz . That means that your 2 monitors running 2560x1440@75Hz is more than it can handle. If you try lowering the refresh rate it might work.
The DVI of your card supports up to 2560x1600@60Hz . That means that your 2 monitors running 2560x1440@75Hz is more than it can handle. If you try lowering the refresh rate it might work.
I had already lowered the refresh rate and resolution to try and take the load off and get it working, nothing.

jasonf2

Distinguished
Boot into safe mode. Remove the installed monitor(s) from device manager. Reboot and install the correct monitor profiles.

Your system is trying to feed a signal to your monitor that it simply cannot handle. It is either a resolution issue or more than likely a refresh rate it doesn't like. Removing the old monitor profile will set it back to a windows generic and if it can autodetect the new monitor it should set to a usable resolution/refresh. Monitor drivers aren't really drivers in the normal sense. They are more like profiles that tell the computer what refresh/resolution combos the monitor can use. When the wrong ones are used you get either a black screen or everything goes haywire. That is why the computer asks when you change settings on a monitor post change. It switches back if you cannot read it.

Solution
Nov 19, 2021
I agree but IF you had integrated and it worked then you would have known that it's the GPU's fault that does not want to display to both.
Right of course. Sorry, I think might already be there because really each monitor works in every scenario I can throw at it except when both hooked up. Each will work hooked up with the old monitor or as stand alone. 1 new, 1 old, but 2 new will not work.
I’m looking for technical work around at this point I think. I will try VGA when I get my hands on one though. New monitor has only hdmi and dvi though I believe. Might have vga tho 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: dotas1