GeForce GTX460 SE 1024 MB

christian1102

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Hey guys, just got finished building my first computer here recently, and everything seemed to be working fine until I went to download some games. The first game I downloaded was World of Warcraft and I went to crank it up and see how it looked. I was a bit dissapointed to say the least, when I turned it on and was in a low traffic zone running 3-5fps on all low settings =/ I figured this was a video card problem, but I'm not positive. Any help y'all could offer would be very much appreciated.

p.s. I'm new to the computer world, and this is my first build, so don't be afraid to offend me or something by stating the obvious :p I need all the help I can get!

CPU: AMD Phenom II Black Edition
GC: GeForce GTX 460 SE 1024MB
RAM: Patriot 8GB

If you any more details on the rest of my system, just let me know and I'll provide you with anything you'll need to know. Thanks again for any help you guys have to offer!

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
What motherboard do you have, what is your operating system, what driver version are you using, what powe supply do you have.

Since you said you wouldn't be offended I will ask if you plugged your monitor into your graphics card or into the onboard port on your motherboard.

christian1102

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

I'll link the motherboard I'm using. http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3726#ov
For my operating system I'm using Windows 7 Professional 64-bit.
My driver is an Nvidia GeForce 7025 / Nvidia nForce 630a. That's what my Device Manager says anyway :p
My power supply is a Cooler Master Extreme Power Plus 500W.

And ya, definitely not worried about being offended, this is in all probability a very simple fix that I've over looked in my inexperience. So I'll give that a check to be sure.

christian1102

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011
Ok, so I think I know what the problem is, but still not sure how to fix it. I had my computer plugged into the motherboard and not my graphics card, which logically means my graphics card isn't corresponding with the monitor. But, when I was originally putting together the computer, I was having trouble getting the monitor to work properly, so I unplugged it from the adapter / video card and plugged in into the motherboard, not realizing at the time what that would cause to happen. All I knew at the time was that it was making my monitor work. But now, I'm back to the same problem. My monitor isn't hooking up with the video card for whatever reason and is turning on only to say something to the extent of "Error." So what can I do to get my monitor working with the video card?

EricDavison

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I had a similar problem when i upgraded my monitor from a 15" to a 24". You may want to disable the one that is on the motherboard in the bios or in windows. this should make your system fault to standard vga settings.
Now with the new video card there may be a power or a speed issue with the bus. The bus being the connection in the motherboard. I will look in the spec and see what i find....

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
I have a GeForce 460 GTX SE which runs games just fine. Only shooter game I have is CoD World at War which runs great! All settings on high except AA which is at 2x. Don't know the fps but it's as fast as I can pull the trigger. Are you sure you're not plugged into the onboard video? Is your GPU in the correct X16 slot?

Intel Core I5 2400
Gigabyte H67M-D2 Mb.
4 GB OCZ DDR3 1066 RAM 7-7-7-16
EVGA GTX 460 SE 1 GB
ASUS VH236H Monitor @1920-1080
Seagate 1 Tb ST3100 HDD
SH S223 DVDRW
Antec 650 Earthwatts PSU
Win 7 Home Prem. 64 bit

christian1102

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Now when you say "You may want to disable the one..." are you referring to the onboard video that is on the motherboard?

christian1102

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2011

Hey Delroy :) Ya, I figure I SHOULD be running my games just fine with the current build I have like you say. But here's my problem. I believe I am plugged into the onboard vid slot, but when I try to plug my monitor into the video card with the adapter, the monitor doesn't read and the screen boots up and say "No signal" or something along those lines. So I'm trying to figure out how to make it work when I am plugged into the video card directly. See my problem? xD

DelroyMonjo

Distinguished
Go into your BIOS and turn off the onboard video. There is a good chance that when you reboot you might get a message saying windows found a new device (video monitor) and is installing drivers for it. Hope that works!
500 W. PSU should be adequate power. I've run a Phenom 4 640 and a GTX 460 GPU with 500 Watts.

benski

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
Yeah you are definately using the motherboards IGP and not your video card. Press Delete as you are booting to enter the Bios setup, then go under Advanced BIOS features and select PCIE x16 under Init Display First.

EricDavison

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011

yes disable the one buildin the motherboard. sorry about that