GeForce GTX550ti problems. CPU too old?

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hi!

So I recently bought a Geforce GTX 550ti to boost up my somewhat old computer.
I bought a new powersupply (corsair 550w) for the GPU and a New HDD. I plugged in everything correct, did a clean install of windows 7 64bit and installed all the correct nVidia drivers for the GPU. Sorry for the long post but i try to be as specific as possible for a quicker and easier answer! :)

Now to the problem!

The GTX550ti does not work properly, the device manager gives me the "Code 43" wich indicates that the drivers are not up to date, but the automatic update says they are, and I allready Manually clean installed the newest drivers several times.
The GTX 550ti is running, as the fan rotates and the picture trough the HDMI cabel comes to my monitor. The HDMI is connected to the GTX 550ti.
When I disable the GTX 550ti and restart my computer i still have a picture, but not trough the GPU wich means that the onboard GPU DOES NOT "override" the GTX 550ti . I have no option for turning off my onboard GPU, I took away the GTX and uninstalled the VGA graphics device from the device manager, turned off the computer and installed the GTX 550ti, this did not make any differnce.
When doeing the "windows Experience Index service" it rates my Graphics 1,0 and errors, indicateing that it does not find my GTX550ti, neither does the web page "can i run it". BUT Geforces site, automatically finds my GTX550ti and suggests the newest drivers for it.

Even that i have the newest and right drivers the GPU Tweak program errors saying " failed to load dlls. Please install VGA driver " And the nVidia control panel says that I'm not connectet to a nVidia GPU with the current monitor( i have 1) even that the monitor is hooked up to the GTX550ti.

I bought an overkill GPU for my system, becouse i tought I'd update my computer 1 hardware at a time( i'm short of money).
My processor is an amd anthlon 64 X2 5200+ 2.60Ghz and I have 6Gig of RAM that is New. I know the Processor is a huge bottleneck for the GPU(?)

Should I buy a New Processor? And if so what Do you recommend?

Summary: I have picture trough the GTX 550ti but everything says that it's not there, the speed, picture quality, games, videos and so on. HELP

Thanks!

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
THe model is a M2R-FVM.
Do i need to change the motherboard with the CPU. I mean, is it a must?

EDIT: As it is really old the model seems to be from 2006

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Cpu and Mobo are old. Depending on your budget you should consider to get new one but don't do 1 piece at the time ever. You are loosing value and not getting full potential of component. Best buy is everything together.

Well you may consider to flash your bios to latest version.

"PCIE Downstream Pipeline" to [Disable] in BIOS chipset page.
“PCIE VC1 Request Queue" set to [Disable] in BIOS chipset page
previous one resolved problem to GTX440 on old motherboard.

P.S. it's Fujitsu Siemens PC and there are not lot of drivers or experience with this model, altough it's Asus motherboard.

bucknutty

Distinguished
I think Feldmarschall is on the right track. The problem is most likely an incompatibility with the old PCI-1 1.0a board and trying to use a PCI-e2.0 or 3.0 GPU. Although it should work the motherboards firmware and drivers need to support it. Remember it is the motherboard that controls the GPU, not the CPU.

I would get the newest bios for your board.
Get the newest chipset drivers for the AMD (ATI Xpress 1150, ATI SB600) from the AMD site.

Then try the Nvidia driver again.

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Sorry for taking a while but I tried to search for similar names for those options becouse I could not find the options you named. Instead from the BIOS>chipset I found

LDT& PCI BUS CONTROL
>LDT configuration
> upstream ldt bus width
>downstream LDT bus width

OTHER OPTIONS WITH THE NAME PCIE IN IT
PCI Latency timer
PCIE GFX Core Payload size
PCIE GPP Core Payload Size

And for flashing my bios i tried to find a newer version from a trust worthy looking page but failed miserably.
Any help, a link maybe?
Here's my BIOS version: FUJITSU SIEMENS M2R-FVM 0802

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
So, I'm getting tired of this is 100-150e enough for a good cpu and mobo for the gpu? if so, give me suggestions what to buy!

EDIT: 100-150€/129.50-194.25$

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013

Thanks alot! I'm about to upgrade the bios soon and see what happens!
Should I also after updateing to 1201(2007-07-23) try the Lubot version that is based on the official BIOS 1201( 2010-03-09 )
As it is much newer, I think I'm going to try it.

Feldmarschall

Honorable
Mar 9, 2013
Well there is not much that can go wrong if you try Lubot's version. But as far as release dates concerned it's a good chance that 2010' and above versions will fix these problems.

P.S. 150E won't do for CPU and MOBO not to mention that you'll need new memory also

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Well, the updates didn't work I tried booting several different ways, CD and USB formatted to NTFS. With several downloaded files(incase they would have been corrup)
The boot errors saying it fails loading OS.

It seems like buying a new CPU&MOBO is the only option left.

plehme

Honorable
Mar 19, 2013
Hello!

Sorry for not checking this out for a while! I got the bios flashed. They(the older and newer) lacked two updates. But nothing critical becouse the flash went fine and so on. I remembered what I did wrong by the coffeebrake at the babylon, hah!:wahoo: I'm just supriced, that there's no way to found out what updates lacked from the flash(?)
I flashed to the newest 2010 version and the older one before that!
Clean installed the nVidia drivers twice but still nothing. I Could clean Install windows 7 64bit again but I don't know if it would make any difference, googled arround some (as allways) and didn't find any driver problems that were solved by clean installing windows!

Even that i get picture trough the GTX 550ti, the onboard GPU somehow "overraids" the GTX becouse nVidia controller says that I'm not connected to it. Even that the device manager finds the GTX and not the onboard GPU. So any suggestions how i could "force" the computer to use the GTX? Disableing the onboard videocard trough device manager does not work becouse if i restart the computer after the uninstall of the graphics card i still have picture from the graphics card. I did this several times, becouse the amount of confusion was so big.
I don't know, getting kinda desperate here, appreciating your help tho! If something comes into your mind please suggest it!
Anything!

EDIT: there's no BIOS setting for turning of the onboard graphics either

EDIT 2: trouble shoot says it's detected but not working properly, so the onboard graphics do not overraid it after all( I'm so confused) Maybe the GTX550ti is fucked. I'll try it in my friends computer tomorrow!