Geforce GTX560 suddenly only displays 800x600 resolution

crzyman007

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
I was working on my desktop computer normally like any other day when the monitor suddenly went on standby and wouldn't turn back on (like the light went orange and wouldn't turn green again). I unplugged and re-plugged the monitor cables and nothing happened. Then I proceeded to restart my computer by pressing power button and holding it for like 5 seconds and then releasing it. When the computer restarted it's resolution was 800x600 resolution compared to the 1920x1080 that I had always had prior to the restart. I right clicked the desktop and tried to change it to its old resolution the regular way but only the 800x600 option was available. So I went to the NVIDIA icon in the system tray and clicked it because I thought that maybe I needed to update the graphics card driver or something (BTW I have NVIDIA 560 graphics card) but when I clicked the icon it told me no NVIDIA card was detected which is strange so I went and uninstalled the NVIDIA driver and re-downloaded it and re-installed it but nothing it still tells me that the NVIDIA video card isn't detected. So I opened my computer case and checked to see if I could switch my computer to a different port and so I did but it also didn't do fix it and I got the same results. I thought the card had just died but then I noticed that the fan is still spinning and I don't have a ONBOARD graphics card So if the card is fried or dead how is it possible that I am still getting a display? and if it's not the why is it working like this (only 800x600 display?) and what could the cause of the problem if it's not the videocard itself?

crzyman007

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
It is a custom built I got it from IBUYPOWER.com about a year ago. I will post specs

1 x Case Thermaltake Dokker Gaming Case - Black
1 x Case Lighting Cold Cathode Neon Light - Blue
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Noise Reduction None
0 x iBUYPOWER Labs - Internal Expansion None
1 x Processor Intel® Core™ i7-2600K Processor (4x 3.40GHz/8MB L3 Cache)
0 x iBUYPOWER PowerDrive None
1 x Processor Cooling Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1155 & 1156] - ARC Silent High Performance Fan Upgrade
1 x Memory 8 GB [2 GB X4] DDR3-1333 Memory Module - ** FREE Upgrade to DDR3-1600 ** Corsair or Major Brand
1 x Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 - 2GB - Single Card
1 x Video Card Brand Major Brand Powered by AMD or NVIDIA
1 x Free Stuff [Free Game Voucher] - Star Trek Online - Free with Purchase of Selected Intel Core i5/i7 Processor or SSD
1 x Motherboard [SLI] ASUS P8P67 PRO -- 3x PCI-E 2.0 x16, On-Board Bluetooth
1 x Power Supply 700 Watt -- Standard
1 x Primary Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 64M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
0 x Data Hard Drive None
1 x Optical Drive 24X Dual Format/Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black
0 x 2nd Optical Drive None
1 x Flash Media Reader / Writer 12-In-1 Internal Flash Media Card Reader/Writer - Black
0 x Meter Display None
0 x USB Expansion None
1 x Sound Card 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
1 x Network Card Onboard LAN Network (Gb or 10/100)
1 x Operating System None- Pre-formatted Hard Drive Only
1 x Keyboard iBUYPOWER USB Keyboard - Black
1 x Mouse iBUYPOWER Internet Mouse

crzyman007

Honorable
Dec 14, 2012
Now i get black monitor most of the times. =( I will be ordering a new video card and see if replacing the video card fixes the issue if not then im really lost because it could be anything. I have disconnected my DvD Drive in case that the powersupply is overloaded but still getting the same ***.

I updated the chipset driver after many attempts to get into windows and get a display but now after the update I haven't been able to get a diplay again yet =/