Geforce MX440 (or other cheap video card) in Gateway Essen..

I'm looking for a video card to put in an old Gateway with a Flex ATX
case and two PCI slots (no AGP slot). The on-board video appears to
have gone bad (nothing displayed on monitor although the monitor &
cable work with another computer).

I contacted Gateway and they say only an "Appian Graphics 2 Port DVI-I
PCI (64MB) Low Profile" would work. However, this costs $238 which is
a lot more than I want to spend!

I did a google search for low-profile PCI video cards and found the
lot cheaper Jaton/Geforce MX440 ($57). But then I saw someonething on
a web site about this being too long (not too tall) for the case!

So, is there any way that I could get the Jaton card to work with my
computer? Are there any other low-profile _and_ short PCI video cards
out there? Or, is there anything I can do to the motherboard on my
computer to try and fix the on-board video?

Thanks!

Henry

PowerColor makes quite a few low-profile PCI and AGP cards - mostly ATI.
www.powercolor.com.tw

"Edward J. Neth" <ejn63@netscape.com> wrote:
> PowerColor makes quite a few low-profile PCI and AGP cards - mostly ATI.
> www.powercolor.com.tw

From the links at that page it wasn't clear which cards are low-profile.

I also found this page which lists low profile Radeon cards.
www.power-color.com/lowprofile.htm

Unfortunately they all appear to be AGP rather than PCI

Henry

Henry,

Before you go further, do you know for sure that the motherboard is still good?
Absence of video could also mean simply that the motherboard itself has failed.
Why not get a cheap throwaway PCI card and stick it into the slot, running the
system with the cover off? Or else, get someone to test the motherboard with a
POST hardware diagnostic card? ... Ben Myers

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers):
> Before you go further, do you know for sure that the motherboard is still good?

I'm pretty sure it's OK. It appears to connect to the wireless network
- another machine on the network sees that machine as connected.

> Absence of video could also mean simply that the motherboard itself has failed.
> Why not get a cheap throwaway PCI card and stick it into the slot, running the
> system with the cover off?

I had a go at that but was unable to get the "throwaway" card in place
as not all of the case comes off trivially. I guess I could have
another go (maybe aided by a hacksaw!)

Henry

Remove the mounting bracket from the PCI card? Would that work? ... Ben

ben_myers_spam_me_not @ charter.net (Ben Myers) wrote:
> Remove the mounting bracket from the PCI card? Would that work? ... Ben

Tried that! Didn't help very much. (There's a "lip" on the back of the
case obstructs getting the card in the right place)

I saw a low profile video card from Pine (XP-PCI3800) for about $25 on
the web so I might try that...

Henry