geforce problem

Colapser

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2001
I have a creative labs anhilitor pro. i just formated my harddrive and installed win98 second ed. I then installed my netcard drivers, and then I got on the internet and downloaded the nvidia reference drivers (detonator3 650). I installed them and everything went smooth. Then I tried to change my color debth and resolution, my color debth changed, but my resolution reverts back to 640x480. I can move the slider, it just doesnt change resolution. I uninstalled the drivers, and downloaded the creative labs drivers, these did the same thing. Then I uninstalled them and tried various other versions of the detonator 3 drivers and the detonator 2 drivers. None of them work. I also have windows 2k not me, installed and the card works fine with the detonator 3 631 drivers. I have called tech support and they told me i have a problem with conflicting drivers, the guy didn't seem to understand that I had a perfectly fresh, and clean install of windows 98 and the very first display drivers i installed didnt work. Can anyone help me?

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Try www.geforcefaq.com and look for the line below. Contained in what you will read is a link to instructions on doing a "clean" Annihilator Pro install.

"Q. When I install my GeForce I can only set the card to use 640x480 with 16 colours. How can I fix it?"

update: I found the direct link. http://www.geforcefaq.com/#hw:gef:troub:vga

Before I found this, my solution was changing the display adapter to Standard VGA, restarting in safe mode, deleting the Geforce adapter (and any other stray video adapters, in my case, All-in-Wonder) leaving only the Standard VGA adapter. When I restarted my system, it came up in glorious VGA. I then changed the adapter and used the have disk option. Installing the Detonator drivers this time worked.

A second time, when I rebuilt my system, the same problem came back. It took couple of tries for the above to work. The first time Windows auto-detected my card and caused the same problem but the second time worked. (Go figure).

The method at www.geforcefaq.com looks methodical and not so prone to "dumb luck" as my method.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by phsstpok on 02/06/01 11:28 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Does anyone here recommend the Creative Lsbs Annihilator Pro? Is this the card with the 32 mgs DDR and GeForce 256 GPU? Its the card I'm most interested in, I'd be grateful for helpful advice.