[SOLVED] Geforce RTX 2060 mobile vs. RTX 2070 mobile

Mar 28, 2021
I’m deciding between two different gaming laptops from Dell (G5 15” gaming laptops). One has an RTX 2060 graphics card and the other has an RTX 2070. From what I’ve read, the 2070 uses 115W of energy, whereas the 2060 uses 80-90W.

What are the effects on a laptop of using a graphics card that uses more energy? Is 115W too much energy or is considered safe? Can it overload the laptop’s power supply and cause it to shut down? Does it wear out the battery faster? Does it generate more heat? Will it wear out the laptop faster?

Also, what effect does using a more powerful graphics card in a laptop cause when you run the same game at the same settings? Does it generate more heat and cause the laptop to wear out faster? Or does it generate less heat because it has to work less hard than the weaker graphics card?

Thanks.

Solution
The 2070 in the G15 is the slower Max-Q variant, so it's limited to 80W. However, performance seems kind of meh over the 2060 and the price you pay to get it doesn't seem to make up for it. I don't see any other compelling thing about the 2070 Max-Q equipped one to make it worthwhile either.
The 2070 in the G15 is the slower Max-Q variant, so it's limited to 80W. However, performance seems kind of meh over the 2060 and the price you pay to get it doesn't seem to make up for it. I don't see any other compelling thing about the 2070 Max-Q equipped one to make it worthwhile either.

Solution