News GeForce RTX 3060 and RTX 3090 in Weekend Newegg Shuffle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mikepellegrini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2020
That's the truth! Glorifying scalping. We need more stories like this. Yeah, sure.

Because it is just scalping. And Newegg's acting like they're doing you the world's best favor.

They dangle the video card you need, add a scalper's, 50% over MSRP surcharge, then force you to buy some worthless POS extra you don't want, don't need and will never use - just to get your GPU.

SCREW NEWEGG! I will NEVER, EVER do business with them again.

That's the truth! Glorifying scalping. We need more stories like this. Yeah, sure.

Because it is just scalping. And Newegg's acting like they're doing you the world's best favor.

They dangle the video card you need, add a scalper's, 50% over MSRP surcharge, then force you to buy some worthless POS extra you don't want, don't need and will never use - just to get your GPU.

SCREW NEWEGG! I will NEVER, EVER do business with them again.
You might try reading the article text. Does this count as glorifying?

"The most enticing options seem to be the EVGA RTX 3060 combos, as we're never sad about having a reasonable quality spare PSU around. The EVGA SuperNOVA 750W G5 wasn't awesome, but if you need something as a spare to power a ~400W PSU, it should suffice. Plus, the prices are downright reasonable. Assuming $70–$100 for the power supply, that means the RTX 3060 cards only cost around $400. You won't find a lower price on a modern graphics card right now!"

Yup. And here's the thing: THAT'S A GOOD DEAL! $400 for an RTX 3060 is, at most, 21% over Nvidia's launch price. You could toss the PSU and it would still be reasonable in today's market. So no, I wouldn't call that scalping. What about the rest?

"The Asus 3060 bundles by comparison cost over $100 more, and while they come with more expensive motherboards, having a potential spare board isn't nearly as helpful in our experience. If you're planning on building a PC using a B450 motherboard, though, they're still worth a look. The pairing of a top-tier eSports gaming monitor with a modest graphics card on the other hand just feels a bit... off."

Gee, that almost reads as though we're suggesting the Asus cards aren't a good deal because they're marked up too high. Or that the bundles are less desirable. And then we end with this:

"Gigabyte rounds out the list with six different RTX 3090 bundles, all obviously in the extremely expensive range. Oddly, the 3090 Gaming bundles cost quite a bit more than the 3090 Xtreme and 3090 Xtreme Waterforce bundles, even though the 3090 Xtreme models actually have better cooling and higher factory overclocks. In other words, the RTX 3090 Gaming bundles aren't recommended — unless you really want to drop a bunch of money to try your hand with one of the best mining GPUs?"

Definitely not praising the prices there. If you simply must have a 3090, though, paying $2400-$2600 and getting a high-end motherboard with the GPU is certainly a better deal than paying $3000+ on eBay.

One thing we don't know is how much of the price increase on the cards goes to Newegg, and how much goes to the AIB providing the cards to Newegg -- actually, there's possibly a wholesale distributor in between Newegg and the AIBs as well. So, if a card sells for $150 over MSRP, that could be $50 each, or all of the extra could go to Newegg. All indicators are that the AIBs have set much higher prices on their RTX 30-series and RX 6000-series GPUs, though. Tarrifs are part of it, but profiteering is certainly happening due to the high demand and limited supply.

Reactions: spongiemaster

mikepellegrini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2020
You might try reading the article text. Does this count as glorifying?

Definitely not praising the prices there. If you simply must have a 3090, though, paying $2400-$2600 and getting a high-end motherboard with the GPU is certainly a better deal than paying $3000+ on eBay.

One thing we don't know is how much of the price increase on the cards goes to Newegg, and how much goes to the AIB providing the cards to Newegg -- actually, there's possibly a wholesale distributor in between Newegg and the AIBs as well. So, if a card sells for $150 over MSRP, that could be $50 each, or all of the extra could go to Newegg. All indicators are that the AIBs have set much higher prices on their RTX 30-series and RX 6000-series GPUs, though. Tarrifs are part of it, but profiteering is certainly happening due to the high demand and limited supply.

The tariffs didn't go into effect till last month. Newegg raised the prices in January right after they were announced. That most definitely is scalping. I don't care who's pocketing most of the bucks (Newegg/AIB). I'll guess it's Newegg because most of the other retailers did not raise their prices.

But really it doesn't matter. It's their platform. They own what happens on it.

Forcing you to buy the unwanted "extra's" to get the card you want is also scalping. Or profiteering, or whatever. Same difference. Selling the cards that way is an unfair, predatory practice. If there was a power blackout today, Newegg would be selling $20@ flashlight batteries bundled with 8GB sticks of DDR4. That's not at all different than what they're doing now. And it's just as unethical.

At least the scalpers on eBay are honest about being scalpers. Newegg's acting like they're doing everyone a great public service with their shuffles. And when you write about it - without the proper context - that is glorifying it. Yeah, you did equivocate and offer some (very) muted criticism. But that criticism is lost in the balance of what is more than anything, a news article outlining the choices for today's shuffle. I stand by my comment.

Taking unfair advantage of people - profiteering like that - is wrong.

If you're going to write a story about it, you should very clearly and expressly point out that fact, and condemn the practice.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The tariffs didn't go into effect till last month. Newegg raised the prices in January right after they were announced. That most definitely is scalping. I don't care who's pocketing most of the bucks (Newegg/AIB). I'll guess it's Newegg because most of the other retailers did not raise their prices.
Prices weren't raised only because of tarrifs. Because of Covid, shipping costs skyrocketed among other supply chain price increases. Pretty much every AIB announced price hikes the first week in January.
https://www.pcmag.com/news/with-tar...u-vendors-evga-zotac-raise-prices-on-graphics
Newegg nor any other retailer is going to absorb those increased costs. Considering NewEgg is the only retailer with a constant flow of available cards, there is no way to know if or by how much they are increasing prices, so there is nothing to clearly write about , with no clear answers.

Last edited:
Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

mikepellegrini

Commendable
Apr 27, 2020
Best Buy didn't. B&H Photo didn't. They're absorbing the costs, then? eVGA didn't start the increased prices for those customers on their queue till just recently. They're eating the increased costs, too?

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Best Buy didn't. B&H Photo didn't. They're absorbing the costs, then? eVGA didn't start the increased prices for those customers on their queue till just recently. They're eating the increased costs, too?
Best Buy has raised prices. There are currently six 3080's on their website listed for $1050 or more. That is WAY above the launch day prices they had which were all within $150 of the $700 FE MSRP. The only cards that didn't see prices increases are Nvidia's FE models, because Nvidia themselves never raised prices. Only Best Buy is selling those cards, so that's irrelevant to Newegg. I don't shop at B&H and I have not heard of a single person landed a GPU from them since this craziness started. Without even looking at their site, I guarantee you their prices are not the same they were last September.

EVGA announced price increases effective January 11th. If you were already signed up in their order queue, then they honored the price you signed up for until April 16th. Since almost no one is getting cards through the queue any more, almost no one was able to take advantage of EVGA's "generosity" here.

You're factually wrong on everything here.

Reactions: JarredWaltonGPU

Heat_Fan89

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
No one is being forced to buy anything from Newegg Shuffle. If not interested, buy elsewhere.
And there’s the comment of this thread which sums it up nicely. Newegg was not trying to force me to buy a Playstation 5 with two extra controllers and three $70 games. I wasn’t interested and decided not to enter the shuffle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS