News GeForce RTX 3080 20GB GPUs Emerge For Around $575

Amdlova

Distinguished
Sound like damage control, nvidia can't give 20gb for gamer and prosumers but give that amount for the miners. I am ready to pay whatever sum intel want on new graphics or moving to Mac. Nvidia and amd scalped the market

Sound like damage control, nvidia can't give 20gb for gamer and prosumers but give that amount for the miners. I am ready to pay whatever sum intel want on new graphics or moving to Mac. Nvidia and amd scalped the market
Miner only needs 6GB. That's the reason why nvidia cancels the plan for 3080 20GB and 3070 16GB. This 20GB cards that end up in the miners hands is the prototype unit that AIB can't sell to retail market.

Sep 6, 2022
Posted this on Graphically Challenged YouTube of this article:

What gets me is the article on Tom's Hardware about the configuration requiring a core change for the 12GB models and other component changes over the 10GB model. What? My specialty is definitely not computer architecture or chip design; however I have played with the idea of increasing video RAM by adding an additional module on the PCB that was left vacant. Surprise surprise; I wasn't the only to think of it. It was done by a modder that had previously performed the hack/mod on a previous generation GPU. On a 3080, it required some BIOS hacking IIRC, but that was it. The writer and most of the community is steaming. Whatever; from what I recall, the 3090's hadve RAM mounted on both sides of the PCB because of the lack of 2GB modules. Many many woes were cleaned up in the release of the 3090Ti which I believe carries over to the 4000 series. I post this tidbit, because these 20GB models according to availability had to have been released much later during the shortage and scalping. This ignorant rhetoric has gone too far folks. That author posted hogwash about what an extra 2GB required. Common sense says it was already in the works. Youtube gaming influencers for the most are rumor mill folk with some if not many being competent testers and reviewers. How many have programmed in VHDL, taken computer architecture at an engineering graduate level, or even designed a basic adder or understand a scheduler or even NAND implementation? Leave out the fill and stick to the rumors leaving design speculation and its implentation to those with the background to do so. Even then, it could be a crap shoot, because you were not part of the engineering or design of such a complex development.

Posted this on Graphically Challenged YouTube of this article:

What gets me is the article on Tom's Hardware about the configuration requiring a core change for the 12GB models and other component changes over the 10GB model. What? My specialty is definitely not computer architecture or chip design; however I have played with the idea of increasing video RAM by adding an additional module on the PCB that was left vacant. Surprise surprise; I wasn't the only to think of it. It was done by a modder that had previously performed the hack/mod on a previous generation GPU. On a 3080, it required some BIOS hacking IIRC, but that was it. The writer and most of the community is steaming. Whatever; from what I recall, the 3090's hadve RAM mounted on both sides of the PCB because of the lack of 2GB modules. Many many woes were cleaned up in the release of the 3090Ti which I believe carries over to the 4000 series. I post this tidbit, because these 20GB models according to availability had to have been released much later during the shortage and scalping. This ignorant rhetoric has gone too far folks. That author posted hogwash about what an extra 2GB required. Common sense says it was already in the works. Youtube gaming influencers for the most are rumor mill folk with some if not many being competent testers and reviewers. How many have programmed in VHDL, taken computer architecture at an engineering graduate level, or even designed a basic adder or understand a scheduler or even NAND implementation? Leave out the fill and stick to the rumors leaving design speculation and its implentation to those with the background to do so. Even then, it could be a crap shoot, because you were not part of the engineering or design of such a complex development.
Sorry, the main staff was off yesterday for Labor Day, so this slipped through. I've edited the text to remove any suggestion that CUDA core counts are somehow tied to VRAM capacity or memory interfaces.

At the same time, take a chill pill. It was a minor error, by one of our freelancers. The main point is that adding more cores or memory capacity without increasing the memory interface width won't improve performance in many situations, especially gaming. The RTX 3080 10GB already runs into bandwidth limitations at higher resolutions, which is why the 12GB model performs so much better (with its 20% boost to bandwidth and capacity). 100% more capacity with the same bandwidth wouldn't do much.

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Are these legit cards or something modified by miners? I don't recall MSI cards ever making their way to stores during the crypto boom.

I agree that the 20 GB doesn't make a lot of sense as an official SKU unless it was cheaper for Nvidia than making modifications to support 16 GB. What a weird card. I'd be worried about support over the next several years. Sometimes low quantity products get dropped or sent inappropriate updates by mistake.

Are these legit cards or something modified by miners? I don't recall MSI cards ever making their way to stores during the crypto boom.

I agree that the 20 GB doesn't make a lot of sense as an official SKU unless it was cheaper for Nvidia than making modifications to support 16 GB. What a weird card. I'd be worried about support over the next several years. Sometimes low quantity products get dropped or sent inappropriate updates by mistake.
I sort of wonder if MSI did a prototype run and then when Nvidia canned the 20GB SKU, it just sold the cards to miners. Probably at a price of $1500+ each. All indications are that MSI and Gigabyte were particularly bad about selling huge quantities of GPUs direct to miners.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Remember when NVIDIA cut the 3090? Model VRAM by half in order to have more supply during the supply-chain issues?

Interesting that they now increase the amount unnecessarily....If I had a conspiracy I would say they want to create an artificial supply-chain issue again.

Amdlova

Distinguished
Last time I see a prototype gone wild is the 3dfx voodoo 6000. 500 prototype? I see many es cpu on ebay, but I don't remember one eng sample graphics card from Nvidia or amd... it's damage control, maybe the people still wainting to get a graphics card goes mad who knows. I'M REALLY PISSED.

TRENDING THREADS