News GeForce RTX 3080 Falls to $740 Amid Continued GPU Price Cuts

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
Oh, look, EVERY price for the Nvidia cards is still above MSRP. As if there was an "It's Nvidia, of course you're expected to pay extra" kind of attitude lingering about.

@thisisaname - yeah, but that just references a claim made by a Twitter user. I'd write that off as rumor, or possibly a BS tweet, until said card actually gets released. Assuming it ever does.

thisisaname

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2009
Oh, look, EVERY price for the Nvidia cards is still above MSRP. As if there was an "It's Nvidia, of course you're expected to pay extra" kind of attitude lingering about.

@thisisaname - yeah, but that just references a claim made by a Twitter user. I'd write that off as rumor, or possibly a BS tweet, until said card actually gets released. Assuming it ever does.

About the only Nvidia card below the MSRP is the 3090 and it's variants, which is why a put falls in quotes.
As for the leaks I 100% agree with you until people can buy it I will take this rumour with a sea full of salt. I find it funny the rumoured better spec'd card is rumoured to have a lower price than any 3080 out now.

About the only Nvidia card below the MSRP is the 3090 and it's variants, which is why a put falls in quotes.
As for the leaks I 100% agree with you until people can buy it I will take this rumour with a sea full of salt. I find it funny the rumoured better spec'd card is rumoured to have a lower price than any 3080 out now.
First, you might try reading the article and paying attention to the table, and the headline. Most cards are at or near MSRP, some are far below it, but the headline mentioned neither. 3080, 3070, 3060, and 3050 are the only GPUs that cost more than MSRP at retail. The table also shows month over month price cuts at retail, which average out to 7%. The RTX 3050 is the only card that didn't get any cheaper at retail since August 1.

Second, as King_V points out, someone in Asia posting about RTX 3080 20GB cards going on sale on third party markets isn't at all the same thing as brand new cards at retail. How old are those 3080 20GB cards? Maybe MSI could tell us, but I suspect those were made a long time ago. For all we know, they're even first generation silicon just with 2GB chips, so they might not even have the anti-Ethereum "lock" (that's been broken for a while now) in place. The main point with the 3080 20GB is to show just how close such cards likely were to seeing a full retail launch. If Covid and the resulting supply chain disruption (plus crypto) hadn't happened, maybe we would have had 3080 20GB instead of 3080 12GB. Because even though the 12GB model was likely better for gaming, mining is almost certainly what pushed anyone toward releasing a card with more bandwidth. Then the people that think 20GB would be so much more beneficial than 16GB or 10GB could have paid $150 extra for the privilege.

Apr 1, 2020
MSRP has always been meaningless in the GPU world unless you're talking about reference editions, which very few of are produced anymore, as it's far more profitable for AIBs to produce their own custom versions and slap a price increase, which can amount to $100 or more, on top of AMD and nVidia's set MSRP.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Also important to remember that there's been about 13-14% inflation in the two years since release, so $699 in 2020 is not $699 in 2022, not to mention that $699 was the MSRP before the tariff exemptions expired.

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
Regardless of reference or aib, $740 is way overvalued for any 3080, by a couple three hundred.
Especially given current circumstances and the fact that the 3000 series isn't the latest model. The 4000 series is around the corner.

So these years old cards are only now being sold at overpriced new regular price.
No. No thank you.

Reactions: Tac 25

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Do you have a specific source for that inflation number?

US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Untitled.png

There are, of course, different ways to interpret inflation rate, simply because it's not going to affect all sectors equally; but I will not discuss those because going beyond the basic number, we'd be veering dangerous close to politics, which is verboten in these forums. But in any case, a 7/22 dollar (and a 9/22 dollar; 8/22 inflation has not been reported yet) buys less than the same dollar would in 9/20, when the RTX 3080 was released with that stated MSRP.

And, in any case, the aftermarket ones were largely not going to be at MSRP.

Inthrutheoutdoor

Reputable
BANNED
Feb 17, 2019
Still too friggin much for a 3+ year old gpu..... drop it to $440 and I might buy one, IF and ONLY if I were in the immediate/near term need of a GPU, which I am not atm....

Or as I usually like to say:

Nope, notta, no way, 'jose !

Reactions: bigdragon

Tac 25

Estimable
Jul 25, 2021
Especially given current circumstances and the fact that the 3000 series isn't the latest model. The 4000 series is around the corner.

So these years old cards are only now being sold at overpriced new regular price.
No. No thank you.

"overpriced new regular price" good one. Yeah, quite true over here in my country. RTX 3050 is at 320 usd each if you convert the peso. 320 is above msrp, and is the "overpriced new regular price".

Last edited:
Reactions: bigdragon
US Bureau of Labor Statistics

Untitled.png

There are, of course, different ways to interpret inflation rate, simply because it's not going to affect all sectors equally; but I will not discuss those because going beyond the basic number, we'd be veering dangerous close to politics, which is verboten in these forums. But in any case, a 7/22 dollar (and a 9/22 dollar; 8/22 inflation has not been reported yet) buys less than the same dollar would in 9/20, when the RTX 3080 was released with that stated MSRP.

And, in any case, the aftermarket ones were largely not going to be at MSRP.
All good. I was just curious where it came from.