News GeForce RTX 3080 Ti Allegedly Delayed Until mid-May

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
The 3080 Ti will get cancelled again next month. Then it will be rumored for June with 10 GB of memory and less CUDA cores. Then it'll be cancelled again, resurface with 8 GB, cancelled, 6 GB, cancelled, and eventually the cycle will repeat until the card doesn't exist...not that it existed in the first place!

Meanwhile the product they announced 6 months ago is nowhere to be found
The EVGA notify queue is still filling orders from September of last year. The backlog is absolutely insane.

Reactions: coloradoblah

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
In 2021, "Released in May" is likely to mean "Generally available in December." This kind of crap needs to stop. Not picking on nVidia, as AMD just did a Fake Availability Launch (FAiL) for the 6700XT, knowing full well they didn't have beans to ship. Never saw one available in the AMD store. Not one. Same for the 6800XT, which I have been hunting daily, 3-6 times a day, since the 6800XTs' FAiL back last November! Nothing doing--"No 6800XT for you, bub!" has been the consistent message from AMD via the AMD store.

Tsk-tsk, and Lisa Su always talks up how important "gamers" are to AMD. nVidia's been doing FAiLs just as much as AMD. One gets the distinct impression that nVidia and AMD have embarked upon the Vaporware Races--they compete now on FAiLs. Amazing. Who needs GPUs when you can launch epaper? Doesn't make much sense to me.

Why both companies don't come clean and confess that the RTX-3k's and the RX-6ks were far too ambitious for SOA FAB production, and the reason we can't buy them is because they can't make them in the volume quantities needed? A little honesty would be nice.

coloradoblah

Reputable
Sep 2, 2020
The 3080 Ti will get cancelled again next month. Then it will be rumored for June with 10 GB of memory and less CUDA cores. Then it'll be cancelled again, resurface with 8 GB, cancelled, 6 GB, cancelled, and eventually the cycle will repeat until the card doesn't exist...not that it existed in the first place!

The EVGA notify queue is still filling orders from September of last year. The backlog is absolutely insane.
Lol im on it, I figured they stopped doing it, no wonder why I havent seen anything. Signed up in Oct!

Reactions: bigdragon
Why both companies don't come clean and confess that the RTX-3k's and the RX-6ks were far too ambitious for SOA FAB production, and the reason we can't buy them is because they can't make them in the volume quantities needed? A little honesty would be nice.

The thing is both the pandemic and the crypto boom in early 2020 massively spiked demand. Manufacturing also has to be reserved well in advanced because well, TSMC/Samsung are the only ones who can make bleeding edge parts and they're usually close to capacity. So NVIDIA and AMD didn't order "enough" parts simply because they were blindsided by the sudden demand and by the time they wanted to ask the manufacturers for more parts, well, said manufacturers were basically booked for the foreseeable future.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
The rumor sites must be getting bored and are just making stuff up now. Why would Nvidia delay a 3080ti release by a month? Certainly not to build up stock. There is no way within reasonable limits that Nvidia could have enough stock at launch to make them last more than a few seconds. If they couldn't do it with the 3060, which has a die less than half the size of a 3080/90, they can't do it with a 3080ti. The 3080ti will be released at some point, and I'm pretty sure the lack of 3080 drops is because Nvidia is using them for ti's, but it's not like Nvidia keeps thinking demand will die in a month or they'll be able to produce enough for a meaningful launch with another month so they keep pushing it back. They've never had a date in mind, so the rumor sites keep making one up every month so eventually they can claim they were right.

btmedic04

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2015
I've been on the que for an evga rtx 3080 since September 25th and still have yet to be notified. so when evga 3090s became available at my local microcenter in November, I bought one. I'm still holding my position in the que because my buddy has been trying to get a 3080 since launch. If i get notified by evga, he'll get the card for the price I paid

Giroro

Splendid
There's really no place in the market for a 3080Ti (outside of it being a straight price-hike to the 3080). Nvidia really messed themselves up by putting out such a terrible value "gaming" card with the 3090 (but hey, miners and dummies love it)

A 3090 is ~10% better performance for over twice the price of a 3080. So a 3080 Ti is going to be, what, 5% more performance for 1.5x the price?

Here's my guess: Nvidia will just give in to their evil, and launch a card that is exactly a 12GB 3080, which will cost exactly one $1400 stimi check (maybe after tax, if they're feeling charitable). They might even enable SLI, so they can leech 2 stimi sales out of a married couple. Your tax dollars hard at work.
Why even stop there? Discontinue the 3090, then sell an equivalent with 6GB memory to miners for $3k, or even $10k.
Who cares? Nothing Nvidia does even matters to gamers anymore. The cards get sold off by the shipping container 6 weeks before making it to the same continent as Western retailers. It doesn't affect us, so it doesn't matter. The best we can do is try and pop this dumb bubble as quickly and as catastrophically as possible.
Or, let game developers adapt and start targeting new AAA titles at a GT 710. We'll all get used to it, eventually.

Last edited:

Giroro

Splendid
You guys know you can actually buy GPU's right now if you simply pull the trigger on a pre-built?
The system integrators have already gotten wise. 2 weeks ago you child build an entire system for roughly the resasle value of only the GPU.
Now, Dell won't even let you configure a system with an RTX 3080 anymore, unless you're willing to drop $4k+ on their highest-end alienware.

But yes, if you're building an entire system from scratch and you absolutely have to order it in the next few weeks, a prebuilt is still the way to go. Although, turnaround times on some prebuilts are also getting bad. You still might end up waiting 6 weeks, either way.

Jim90

Distinguished
In the current climate, there's really no issue(!) with them 'releasing' the 3080Ti right now - all the relevant reviewers will, of course, get one and since every other 'released' 3000 series cannot be purchased then a 3080Ti release will have no bearing on changing the current situation. Delaying this is simply Nvidia's way of trying to postpone the inevitable availability backlash, however, they can rule that out since we've all become desensitised to that long ago. Additionally, (Nvidia in particular - AMD has two consoles + CPU's to manage) they really don't give a damn since they are making $$$$ both selling direct to miners and encouraging AIB's to do the same.

As I've said before, the big online review sites should get together and agree on giving no future publicity to GPU's the public simply cannot buy. They have done this twice recently with a positive outcome...most folk (and increasing) make their purchase decisions through online review sites - these sites have it within themselves, if they work together, to effect change.

Wouldn't it be great if Toms, Linus, HUB etc etc refused to review any new cards from both Nvidia and AMD until they're actually available!!
Unfortunately, we all know that ain't gonna happen (go on...surprise us!)

Reactions: bigdragon