News GeForce RTX 40-Series GPUs Are 22% More Expensive in Europe

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I think this pretty much paints the picture that RTX 3080 10GB was never meant to be that cheap. The current pricing is somewhat similar to the Turing series where the xx80 is not affordable for most gamers. I do feel it's worthwhile waiting to see what RDNA3 can bring to the table.

D

Deleted member 431422

I'm not sure if the author realises VAT is not uniform in all EU member countries. In Poland it's 23% and € is not the national currency.
Also, don't compare German market to whole Union. It's not a determinant.

Reactions: 10tacle

Co BIY

Splendid
US sales taxes average 7-10% total (state and local ) for most consumers but is never expressed in the advertised price because it varies based on location of the seller or the buyer (for internet sales). So that tax advantage is not as great as it may appear.

Weirdly the US Dollar and the Euro are at parity as I write this. That is the first time I remember that happening.

Last edited:

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
Haven't seen the prices yet but going by the history, even after currency conversion, these will probably be about 40% more expensive in Australia too!

SunMaster

Prominent
Apr 19, 2022
I have no idea what the Norwegian prices are at launch, but I don't think it's comparing apples to apples when you compare US price exclusive sales tax with <insert country here> with sales tax.

I can dislike nVidia for a lot, but not for sales tax across the world.

Reactions: KyaraM
D

Deleted member 14196

Well, consumer should be smart and not buy things that is expensive. People have to start voting with their $$ in order for prices to come down

Reactions: sherhi

hannibal

Distinguished
Well this is the trend. Intel is talking about incgreasing CPU prizes. AMD announcement of keeping 7000 series prices same... make it hard to Intel to execute that plan. When Nvidia did increase prices, also AMD could increase... Lets see what they do. If they keep the price level same... Well that will be interesting indeed!
Do the AIB artificially increase AMD pricing, so that they can
subsidize bad income from Nvidia GPUs? But all in all prices are coming higher.

sherhi

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2015
"prices of the best gaming graphics cards rose quite dramatically due to 1) higher prices of graphics processing units (GPU) production at contract manufacturers like TSMC and Samsung Foundry, 2) higher costs of actual boards production, 3) chip shortages/complicated logistics as well as 4) very strong demand from gamers, 5) miners, and 6) professionals"

I dont think this order is correct :D

In any case I was thinking about building new PC but with these prices I decided to buy Xbox for my 4k TV I already have, Nvidia basically decided that their average GPU price should be around mainstream console price but mathematically they take into account garbage like 1630 or whatever are they still pumping out so for a console price you get something like 3060/4060 around 500 €. Thank you but no thank you. Even for 300€ (which they sell 1660 super here for) I would just grab Xbox series S. Very sad times.

D

Deleted member 2928070

I wonder if the higher margins will justify selling a couple thousand units across a whole continent.
Not that Nvidia ever gave a <Mod Edit> about pricing their garbage in a range where it makes economic sense for anyone in Europe to buy them; but I wonder if they're ok to exclusively sell in the US this time around.

Last edited by a moderator:

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
I wonder if the higher margins will justify selling a couple thousand units across a whole continent.
Not that Nvidia ever gave a <Mod Edit> about pricing their garbage in a range where it makes economic sense for anyone in Europe to buy them; but I wonder if they're ok to exclusively sell in the US this time around.
Never in a million years would NVIDIA exclusively sell in the U.S.
The VAT pricing is tax included, so the U.S. pricing is misleading. Additionally, I don't see how a 10% margin for 4060 - lower-4080 cards will deter customers. Sales and time will drag prices down where percentages don't make up as much of an issue.

I doubt many here in Europe are interested in buying a 1k€ GPU in the first place. 1000€ for a little graphics processing plastic card....No thank you.
Additionally, inflation, etc. are making customers world-wide less purchasing-happy.

KyaraM

Admirable
Europe getting the short end of the stick isn't exactly new. It's rare to find anything getting sold cheaper here, and what is, is usually produced over here in the first place. So far, this was masked by exchange rates. If you sell something for 500 bucks in Europe and the US, but you get 1.16$ for each €... I think it's obvious where this is going...

I still prefer living here with all the additional benefits in comparison, though. It's just kinda annoying.

closs.sebastien

Honorable
Feb 9, 2018
All the high-tech things is more expensive in Europe. In France, we have 20% vat. In germany 19%. In most european countries it is between 15 and 25%..

So all is more expensive than the official prices of USA, which are told without vat. Even if americans pay more than that, because of additional local taxes.

So your article is nothing new..

ikernelpro4

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 4, 2018
All the high-tech things is more expensive in Europe. In France, we have 20% vat. In germany 19%. In most european countries it is between 15 and 25%..

So all is more expensive than the official prices of USA, which are told without vat. Even if americans pay more than that, because of additional local taxes.

So your article is nothing new..
Yep. The article feels like a (U.S.) author just realised that either a) VAT exists or b) thinks Europeans pay VAT + some american-ish tax.

Very odd article.
Who buys GPUs right now anyway, with inflation, supply chain issues, absurd MSRP pricing and energy prices, there's zero incentives to spend almost a thousand Euros for a piece of plastic with wires and circuits in it.

I hate AMD when it comes to GPUs but if they can output something similar to the 4000 series at a considerably lower price, they might skim off Nvidia's 4000 customers & force RTX cards towards saner lower price-ranges.

TRENDING THREADS