News GeForce RTX 4080 May Come In 16GB and 12GB Flavors

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
I always question if more is indeed better all the time. If the price between the 16GB and 12GB are the same, then obviously, go with the 16GB version. But the reality is that it is not generally going to be the case, assuming the same build quality from a same brand. 12GB in my opinion is plenty for a gaming on 1440p, which I guess should be more popular than 4K. I guess more VRAM may translate to better texture being used, but I guess it can at the same time encourage sloppy optimization by the developers.

atomicWAR

Glorious
Ambassador
I always question if more is indeed better all the time. If the price between the 16GB and 12GB are the same, then obviously, go with the 16GB version. But the reality is that it is not generally going to be the case, assuming the same build quality from a same brand. 12GB in my opinion is plenty for a gaming on 1440p, which I guess should be more popular than 4K. I guess more VRAM may translate to better texture being used, but I guess it can at the same time encourage sloppy optimization by the developers.

I can't speak to 12GB of vram directly but I can speak to 11GB of vram having issues with some games even at 1440P and that has been true since I got it in 2019. Granted its only a hand full of games at this point but it started three years ago with one game at that time I got the card then has slowly become worse. Game vram usage only goes up with time.

If 11GB wasn't enough in 2019 for the first time (for me) at 1440P, it certainly will cause problems in the near future. So yeah 12GB is not enough for the high end. If it was just the RTX 4070 series pulling this move or something further down the stack I could get on board (ie gaming at 1080P high refresh rates). But its not so I strongly but respectfully disagree with your stance (minus encouraging sloppy devs, 100% with you there)

Edit/note: while I typically game at 4K I do frequent 1440P so max setting are playable as well which is where my experiences in this post are being expressed.

Last edited:

BILL1957

Commendable
Sep 8, 2020
One thing to consider is that when buying an upper end GPU the purchaser should reasonably expect such purchase to play games for at least the next 3 years at minimum without needing to start tweaking settings lower.
With 12g of vram I would be a lot more leery of that holding true than when considering the same card with 16g vram.

I have been looking forward to the 4080 release and plan on buying one but if that vanilla 4080 card with a msrp of probably $850 or more only has 12g of vram for the first time in my life move over Nvidia team red here I come and I have been a staunch Nvidia GPU purchaser for over 2 decades!