News GeForce RTX 4090 Power Adapter Hack To Draw 600W From Just Three 8-Pin Plugs

InvalidError

Titan
The sense pins are simply open/ground signals to tell the GPU whether it can draw 150, 300, 450 or 600W from the plug. Nothing special to it. Ground both sense pins by whatever means you prefer and that tells the GPU up to 600W are available.

As for 300W from three plugs, the Molex MiniFit spec goes to at least 8A per pin and that is basically 300W per 8-pin connector. As long as the cables and connectors are properly made, there is nothing particularly hazardous about going down all the way to 2x6-pins which is technically the same number of active 12V pins as the 12V HPWR connector using fundamentally the same connector with a different pin count.

Put another way, the single biggest difference between the "PCIe 5.0" aux connector and older PCIe aux connector is that 5.0 goes up to 100% of the Molex per-pin spec vs 50% previously.

Oct 13, 2022
I'm now confused.. forum's and other news sites show Seasonic psu company and others are releasing a dual 8 pin to 12+4 pin... are they scams?

InvalidError

Titan
I'm now confused.. forum's and other news sites show Seasonic psu company and others are releasing a dual 8 pin to 12+4 pin... are they scams?
Properly made 6-pins cables can handle 300W per Molex spec, it is perfectly fine for PSU manufacturers to push 300W per 8-pins as long as their connectors and cables are made properly. the "75W" rating on 6-pins is the PCI-SIG officially allowing only 25% of Molex's per-pin rating. As I wrote in my previous post, the major difference with 12W HPWR is the PCI-SIG allowing 100% of Molex's per-pin rating.

Oct 13, 2022
I see off brand on Amazon but I know to avoid that ... it was the only cable on pre-sale... then like I said , seasonic is making one. I do not know how to get one for my corsair rmx 1000 ... it only came with 3 pcie cables, I do not even have a 4th for Nvidia stock adapter lol ... I really just wish I could get a 1000 watt or more pcie 5 psu but I only see a 850 hela or gigabyte which the later is not up to spec.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
I see off brand on Amazon but I know to avoid that ... it was the only cable on pre-sale... then like I said , seasonic is making one. I do not know how to get one for my corsair rmx 1000 ... it only came with 3 pcie cables, I do not even have a 4th for Nvidia stock adapter lol ... I really just wish I could get a 1000 watt or more pcie 5 psu but I only see a 850 hela or gigabyte which the later is not up to spec.
Each of your three PCIe connectors should have two 8 pin connectors, for a total of six. You can just plug in both connectors on one of the cables to get the 4th connector for the adapter.

Latest posts