News GeForce RTX 4090 Reportedly Peaks at 493W to Hit 3.1 GHz

It's getting to a point where the GPU will need to be housed in a separate case just for the GPU as its unfair to the rest of the pc components to have to put up with getting roasted in a hot box.
There...the next big thing in PC enthusiast hyper-market...the nVidiaGBOX. you read it here first 😎

ezst036

Honorable
Oct 5, 2018
It's getting to a point where the GPU will need to be housed in a separate case just for the GPU as its unfair to the rest of the pc components to have to put up with getting roasted in a hot box.
There...the next big thing in PC enthusiast hyper-market...the nVidiaGBOX. you read it here first 😎

Aren't there already Thunderbolt attached eGPUs?

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
Am I the only one who can't get over the exact same look? I mean, no changes at all to the color scheme or design is kind of weird to me. I know it is minor and I don't usually care but man, just nothing is odd.

Am I the only one who can't get over the exact same look? I mean, no changes at all to the color scheme or design is kind of weird to me. I know it is minor and I don't usually care but man, just nothing is odd.
There are definitely changes to the design, though superficially the 4090 FE looks like the 3090 FE:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-4090-unboxing

It's a bit thicker, not quite as long, same height, same weight. There's a slight "curve" to the silver/gray casing on the 4090.

Not every generation gets a full reworking of the GPU design. GTX 680, 780, 980, and 1080 were all similar blower designs, with modest updates to the fans, fins, etc. It's only 20-series (complete new design) and 30-series (another design overhaul) that really changed things. I do have to say, I think one of the major reasons for Nvidia's 30-series (and now 40-series) Founders Edition designs was just to move one of the fans to the opposite side of the card to reduce measured noise in testing. I always find the exterior of the 30-series cards get VERY got while under load.

slash3

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2008
It's worth noting that neither of those screenshots were tested at ambient temperatures. Those are chilled loop temperatures. Nothing too crazy, but don't expect to see anything similar out of the box.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
It's worth noting that neither of those screenshots were tested at ambient temperatures. Those are chilled loop temperatures. Nothing too crazy, but don't expect to see anything similar out of the box.
There was no chiller used for this test. Minimum temperature was measured at 40C. If a chiller was used, that should be in single digits. The 4090 FE reportedly runs at about 50-55C under load.

A previous leak showed a 4090 using 616W while running Furmark and the GPU temperature was 46C. That was using a chiller. This test hitting 65.6C while "only" using 493W is using a retail cooler.

BillyBuerger

Reputable
Jan 12, 2021
Some over-engineered custom models, which sport heavy factory overclocks, require a 1,200W power supply
Semantics, but as the article that was linked to states, it's a recommended PSU wattage. A 450W GPU can't require a 1,200W or it wouldn't be a 450W GPU. If they factor overclock it, then they should provide the power required for what that is so that people can make the appropriate calculations for themselves instead of just throwing out some random number that means nothing without the context of the other parts involved.

junglist724

Honorable
Apr 10, 2017
Semantics, but as the article that was linked to states, it's a recommended PSU wattage. A 450W GPU can't require a 1,200W or it wouldn't be a 450W GPU. If they factor overclock it, then they should provide the power required for what that is so that people can make the appropriate calculations for themselves instead of just throwing out some random number that means nothing without the context of the other parts involved.
A 450W GPU doesn't always draw 450W. Nvidia's power limit is an average over time so it doesn't even really matter if the card has a higher power limit. The recommendation is just in case a lower wattage PSU can't handle high transient power draw. Samsung 8nm was so bad that Asus measured 3090 peak power draw at 940W. They're probably being extra cautious.

I can get my 3090 FTW3 to pull 430W at IDLE voltage in Furmark. In some workloads my watercooled 3090FE trips OCP on an SF750 that can handle about 950W on 12V before OCP kicks in. That even happens when it's locked to minimum voltage and power limit with very little load from other components. Rumor has it that Lovelace isn't nearly as bad with transient spikes but I wouldn't be surprised if my HX1200 isn't good enough for a 4090 in all situations.
SEk8Sw1.png

samopa

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2015

Do you mean something like this :

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-REV...D/dp/B09CC3VLPT/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B08R594ZX1

or this :

https://www.amazon.com/GIGABYTE-WAT...l/dp/B08R594ZX1/ref=psdc_284822_t1_B09CC3VLPT

Reactions: Nine Layer Nige

escksu

Reputable
BANNED
Aug 8, 2019
Wow, you need a 500w GPU to play games?? That's not free at all. Energy prices are going through the roof. Some countries may not even have sufficient energy for this winter and this is a 500w gpu...

Warrior24_7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
Why are people complaining about this? If price and power bother you, then buy a console! You can game at 4K with them, they don’t draw a lot of power, make too much heat, or noise, and for what it is, you can’t beat it for $500. The gaming PC has ALWAYS had heat issues. Water cooling, overclocking, quad SLI (back in the day), 500 to 1200w PSUs have been around a lot longer than the 4090.

Many are complaining about a card they’ll never own! Why? There’s a card for every power and price point. I’ll buy my 4090 upon release hopefully!

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
If price and power bother you, then buy a console

and what if the consoles have no games a person wants to play ? then what ?

many people go the " well buy a console " route, but i wonder if they even consider the games a person plays. most of the games i play are on my Comp. only a few are on the consoles i do have ( and i dont own the PS5, switch or newest xbox ) IF i were to get a console it would be a Switch, as between PS and Xbox, there are maybe 5 games between those 2 that i would play last time i checked.

Warrior24_7

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2011
and what if the consoles have no games a person wants to play ? then what ?

many people go the " well buy a console " route, but i wonder if they even consider the games a person plays. most of the games i play are on my Comp. only a few are on the consoles i do have ( and i dont own the PS5, switch or newest xbox ) IF i were to get a console it would be a Switch, as between PS and Xbox, there are maybe 5 games between those 2 that i would play last time i checked.

Well, I don’t know what those games are then. Because just about every genre is available on the next gen consoles. I can’t think of one that’s not. Further, there is nothing about the PC that’s really changed. So to spend that kind of money to play a few games is a waste. There is a card at every price point and power level. So the “4090” itself shouldn’t really interest you. There are levels to this, get in where you fit in.

Ogotai

Reputable
Feb 2, 2021
Because just about every genre is available on the next gen consoles
is not which genre, is the games them self.

So to spend that kind of money to play a few games is a waste
the same can be said about a console. would you spend 500+ on a console for only 2-3 games ? i sure wouldnt. id rather spend that on a vid card. at least i could play the games i play, as well as other things that the comp can do, which a console cant.

So the “4090” itself shouldn’t really interest you
actually the top end vid cards do interest me, its the prices that dont :)

JTWrenn

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2008
There are definitely changes to the design, though superficially the 4090 FE looks like the 3090 FE:
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/nvidia-rtx-4090-unboxing

It's a bit thicker, not quite as long, same height, same weight. There's a slight "curve" to the silver/gray casing on the 4090.

Not every generation gets a full reworking of the GPU design. GTX 680, 780, 980, and 1080 were all similar blower designs, with modest updates to the fans, fins, etc. It's only 20-series (complete new design) and 30-series (another design overhaul) that really changed things. I do have to say, I think one of the major reasons for Nvidia's 30-series (and now 40-series) Founders Edition designs was just to move one of the fans to the opposite side of the card to reduce measured noise in testing. I always find the exterior of the 30-series cards get VERY got while under load.

I get the idea but uhm...if nobody can tell, then it wasn't enough to matter. Also, to be more specific I am talking about the esthetics design. No color change, no font change, no extra lines or anything makes it LOOK LIKE there was no design change. I think it is one of the smallest changes I have ever seen in a major change over.

TRENDING THREADS