Geforce Sucks ?!? help

G

OK. thank u for reading this.
Should Geforce2 mx-400 64mb be faster than voodoo 3 3000 16mb ? yes i think so too.. something is messed in my computer. im in serious trouble. fps ratings are higher with voodoo, stability is higher with voodoo.. geforce makes my computer crash. i got detonator 12.41 drivers installed and newest mainboard drivers installed. whats wrong help me all please. im desperate.
my computer is Celeron 533mhz, abit va6 mainboard,3dpower geforce2 mx-400 64mb, 425 sdram,win98 and soundcard,networkcard ect... help needed.

thanks for your time.

thankya all

btw.. how can i edit my registery?? i dont have regkey.exe<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by nybe32 on 07/03/01 12:55 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

could be your processor is the problem.

! Member of the Intel Triple Threat w/ Fugger and AMDmeltdown !

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
If you havn't fully removed all your Voodoo drivers from your hard drive and registry then you will be plagued with problems. Do a search through your hard drives using <b>3dfx*</b> and delete all files that come up. In the registry just type in <b>3dfx</b> and delete the keys that contain that, make sure you backup your registry first. The best way to ensure everything is in sink is to reformat and install windows again. In the long run the last option is usually the best. Old Voodoo drivers have been causing alot of people problems.

G

What is the point of using 12.xx drivers??? I see lots of people using these drivers. I was under the impression that all drivers higher than the current official 6.xx series were optimized for the P4 or something. Do PIII users get any benefit from the hacked drivers, other than lower stability that is? ;) j/k

Sample...

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
All I get in any drivers over 6.50 are corrupted 3d textures in airwarrior 3d online... flashes like crazy and has all kinds of psychedelic colors... tried em all from 7.xx to 12.xx I suspect the old 3d engine (written in assembler) is the culprit here.. 3dmark 2001 goes up about 100 pts with the newer drivers and FR improve some but ya ever try to shoot a f6-f hellcat on the deck with the water flashing all kinds of colors ?? lol impossible !

system
asus cusl2-c 800EB @ 876
pc 133 cas 2 512 crucial ram 2-2-2 5t 7t
GF2 Pro 32 mb leadtek
SB live
yamaha 2100ez, memorex 48x
usr 2977 pci hardware
ibm ata 100 30gb

Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

The below sounds right. It's probably still using the voodoo drivers if you did not remove the voodoo drivers! to make things easier on yourself try this!

i'm in windows NT 4.0 SP6 so bare with me and look for similar things...

right click on the desktop and click properties. goto settings. Display Type and change the adapter to a standard PCI driver. reboot. after reboot install your nvidia drivers. By installing the standard PCI drivers you essentially remove any drivers prevously installed.. it doesn't remove it it just takes it out of the registry. so you may still have to look in there and delete the drivers but why bother? you will have to reinstall the nvidia drivers in the end anyway and not worth the time...

below sounds good like i said but a lot of work involved.. try my idea first and if that doesn't work try below. However i'm 99% sure the above will work.

"If you havn't fully removed all your Voodoo drivers from your hard drive and registry then you will be plagued with problems. Do a search through your hard drives using 3dfx* and delete all files that come up. In the registry just type in 3dfx and delete the keys that contain that, make sure you backup your registry first. The best way to ensure everything is in sink is to reformat and install windows again. In the long run the last option is usually the best. Old Voodoo drivers have been causing alot of people problems."

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by xxsk8er101xx on 07/03/01 12:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

Get rid of the card, it is terrible. Had one. Was not satisfied.

G

I did what u said.
removed all 3dfx drivers from drives
and from registery everything what included "3dfx"
and re installed nvidias newest detonator drivers.

could the problem be in directx 8? should i re-install it ?

well those deleting things improved something 3dmark2001 gives me now 827 points. before that it gave me 818 points.

waitin for answers.

thanks.

thankya all

Booky

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2001
mojohd,
The latest Official drivers from NVidia are 12.41 with MS certified.

I think that the MX should use 6.50 or maybe 6.31 as Crashman suggested.

Crap, all the good ones are already taken.

G

anyone can say how much i should get in 3dmark 2001
with this setup
win98
abit va6 mobo
celeron 533
geforce2mx40064mb
425sdram

I get 828 and i think i should get a lot more than that.

thankya all

ajmcgarry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It should probably be in the 3000 region.

You could try doing a DirectX uninstall using an unistaller from the web and going back to version 7.1 but that is messy too.

Your best bet is to reinstall windows from scratch. Your machine will run a lot better afterwards anyway. Make sure you back up everthing you need beforehand. An easy way is if you have a second a second partition (D:) then put all the data files (not program files) that you need to keep on this.
Boot to dos and format c:
Go to your bios an set your first boot device to CD-ROM. Then put the Windows CD in the CD Drive, reboot your machine and your off.

<font color=blue>Smoke me a Kipper, I'll be back for breakfast!</font color=blue>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
LOL! Oh, please.

Thanks for the sarcasm with my morning coffee.

No, really ... thanks! Not a flame!

Toejam31

<font color=purple>My Rig:</font color=purple> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847</A>

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
<A HREF="http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?include_page=publish_search.shtml&current_chipsetid=63&current_cpuid=27&current_resolution=1024&current_bitdepth=16&current_cpuspeed=862&current2001_chipsetid=63&current2001_cpuid=27&current2001_resolution=1024&current_bitdepth=32&current2001_bitdepth=32&current2001_cpuspeed=1466&current2001_FSAA=1&current2001_textureformat=64&project_type=6&cpuid=6&cpuspeed_from=500&cpuspeed_to=600&chipsetid=64&uscreenwidth=1024&bitdepth=32&fsaa=0&score_from=&score_to=&email=" target="_new">http://gamershq.madonion.com/products/orb/?include_page=publish_search.shtml&current_chipsetid=63&current_cpuid=27&current_resolution=1024&current_bitdepth=16&current_cpuspeed=862&current2001_chipsetid=63&current2001_cpuid=27&current2001_resolution=1024&current_bitdepth=32&current2001_bitdepth=32&current2001_cpuspeed=1466&current2001_FSAA=1&current2001_textureformat=64&project_type=6&cpuid=6&cpuspeed_from=500&cpuspeed_to=600&chipsetid=64&uscreenwidth=1024&bitdepth=32&fsaa=0&score_from=&score_to=&email=</A>]

Using the database at Madonion, I plugged in your specs and see 1751 was the highest that anyone ever reported for 3dMark2001 at 1024x768x32. You can do the same, I don't know if the above link will get you there but you can try it.

atavus

Distinguished
Jun 19, 2001
To edit registry start->run->regedit

Don't know if anyone else mentioned that.

<b>P</b>eople for the
<b>E</b>ating of
<b>T</b>asty
<b>A</b>nimals

try different drivers.. i know when i tried to install those same exact drivers for my bro, he has a tnt... i got a windows protection fault error upon reboot... i tried lower version it booted up finally but they didn't work and i could not set it to 32bit color. after trying each driver the only version that worked was 6.16 i think those are detonator 2 drivers.... not sure .. but they worked so... can you set your color to 32 bit?

i dunno try different drivers.. nvidia has so many leaked versions and alpha and beta versions out there you might wanna try different drivers...

have fun!
-Jeff