Geforce2 pro?

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Hey everyone. i have posted here before, and i have a new question for all of you to ponder.
I am in the need of a new video card, and i was wondering which one i should get.
i can pick up a geforce2 pro card with 64 megs ddr and tv/out made by MSI for about $134 plus 7 for shipping.
then again, knowing how most people here (DONT TAKE THIS AS AN OFFENSIVE REMARK!) are sort of prejudiced towards ATI chips and the cards they come with, (i can tell by looking at previous posts about which card to buy), you will probably all tell me to go out and buy the radeon ve dual display edition with 32 megs ddr and tv/out.
however, i have read a few tests which show the MSI-831 being able to keep up with the geforce2 ultra, and EVEN WITH THE GEFORCE 3!!!
here is the link with the charts.

http://www.pcworld.com/reviews/article/0,aid,52443,pg,10,00.asp

with this knowledge, and by the fact that it shows the radeon falling behind in performance, i think that i might be able to go for the GF2-pro instead.
BUT, since i got some good advice from this site before, and i have told a few friends to go here for info, i figured that i should come here and find out what you people said.

if you have any ideas, or suggestions on a card that will perform in games like unreal tournament, and quake3 arena, with compareable numbers to that of the msi board, and also for around the same price, that would rock...
oh yeah, one more thing, i was also looking at the new kyro, but i heard that thing has a few bugs, despite the performance. that is why i was sticking to nvidia and ati chips because they are more stable...
alright, enough typing for now..
-David
honestjhon@msn.com
i dont know if i have put that email address in or not..but there it is.

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the one i was looking at was a retail box one..
is there a problem with the retail ones coming with the slower ddr memory?
if i can get this visiontek gf2 ultra.....then i am going with that. but right now...it is all hanging on whether or not they restock that by thursday....
-David

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
the one i was looking at was a retail box one..
is there a problem with the retail ones coming with the slower ddr memory?
if i can get this visiontek gf2 ultra.....then i am going with that. but right now...it is all hanging on whether or not they restock that by thursday....
-David

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If your getting it from a store, this is easy. Open the box, and look for the number 5, 5.5, or 6 at the end of a string of numbers on the individual memory chips. If it's 6, pass and get a real Pro.

Video killed my Radio Card!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
i cant check if i am buying it online..
i went to the microstar website to see if they would have info on it, but all they say there is that it is 64 megs ddr..
not the speed..
if i am buying the retail box version, would i be safe to assume it>?
i would certainly hope so..
maybe i can call the place and see if they can check for me..
hmm..lets hope that the tech people at microbarn are helpful...
i am pretty sure that is where i am going to order it from..
they had the best shipping rates, and the best price to go with it..
-David
:still kinda tEEd off about cdrexpress getting my hopes up!:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
well, they state on their website "6.4GB/sec. memory bandwidth. That means that it runs at 200MHz clock x DDR, which is DDR 400 (aka 400MHz). It takes 5ns memory to run that speed within spec (although 5.5ns memory will do it, the spec for 5.5ns memory is 183xDDR=366). So if it arives with slower than 5ns memory I would scream at MSI for false advertizing!

Video killed my Radio Card!

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
THANKS! that info actually helps..
and yeah...it had better not be false advertising..
also....if i was to put ram sinks made by thermaltake on that sucker, would that be voding the warranty?
that shouldnt...they should have ramsinks on them already..
-David

HonestJhon

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
really?...JB weld works better than arctic silver...
that is strange, but i suppose it is possible...
i have never personally used JB weld, but have handled things fastened with it and observed it being applied.
that is really strange, but yeah, there is the permanence of the application, and the voiding of the warranty that has to be taken into consideration.
-DAvid

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Yes. I tried it on a video card. The Artic Silver paste was a temporary solution, then I tried JBWeld. You REALLY need to apply it in a very THIN layer and use PRESSURE to make sure you get out any gas bubbles for optimum results. It's simply a metal filled epoxy, like AS Epoxy. I never tried AS Epoxy, but the JB beats AS II paste.

I'm so tired of cookies I'd settle for spam!