Geforce2 vs. Radeon

G

Hey I am buildin a system w/ an Amptron DDR-266 board, 1.2 Ghz T-Bird w/ 266 FSB, 256 MB of SDRAM (at least), and an undecided sound card. In your opinion, which would be a better buy? Also, what is the difference between the Radeon VE and LE besides price and which is the best buy of the Geforce2 MX series? Thanx a lot for your help!

One last thought: why are there more new posts than total posts on some subjects hmmmmmmm interesting

---matt

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Radeon VE is the Dual Head monitor Card. It supports two monitors but has it's T&L engine removed. The Radeon LE is a 32MB DDR OEM card that is clocked slower than the retail Radeon. It also has the HyperZ ability removed. You can overclock the RadeonLE to retail speeds with ease, and you can enable HyperZ with a simple registry change. The overclocked hacked version of the RadeonLE is faster than most Geforce2MX cards.

If you want to buy a MX card, buy the Gainward MX400 card with the 4ns Ram included. It's the Ultra card of the MX line.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

FatBurger

Illustrious
I think the posts are because this is your first visit, and the server registers posts made since your last visit (or in your case, since the dawn of time). But, if one gets deleted, then it still appears in the new post category, but not in the total post category?

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

go here and read this:
http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1473

it lays out the differences between the ve and le in terms even I could understand, being far from a computer build expert. Been learning a bit from these boards though and I think I will end up going with the le myself, even if it doesnt overclock to the maximum possible, it is still plenty bang for the buck.

btw, awaiting delivery of my gigabyte ga-7dx mb, 1.2gb thunderbird, 256mb micron, 40gb ibm deskstar and antec sx830 case to put together my first computer! :-D heh, bought mac classic, then a generic and then gateway prebuilts, now to build my own! Sounds like your specs are similar to mine, I wish you luck!

btw, anyone know a good place to order the LE from? I think newegg had it pretty cheap, cant remember which it was though. Looking for a good place to order a pioneer dvd-116 dvd/cd too, since i can only mostly find the 115 at sites I know and trust.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by dal on 06/12/01 02:32 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Order from Newegg even if it's $5 more than another company. I almost order exclusively from Newegg now.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

G

yeah petty, ordered the deskstar and the floppy from them, but they were a bit pokey filling the order and getting it moving out compared to thenerds.net who whipped out the motherboard and case almost faster than the page took to load to tell me the order was accepted ;-p Compuplus for the processor and of course crucial for the memory. This is really my first time building AND ordering parts through the internet, so trying a couple different suppliers, though sticking to ones that I have at least heard of or have gotten great reviews.

still, newegg doesnt carry pioneer dvd's. They do have toshiba, but I am really stuck on getting the pioneer 116.

G

why don't you consider kyro 2 also?

sometimes kyro 2 is even showing it "teeths" against geforce 3...

look here:

nascar 4...

<A HREF="http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=445821&start=61" target="_new">http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.cfm?catid=31&threadid=445821&start=61</A>

maybe this will happen more in future. Games are getting more complex more overdraw so kyro 2 have some advantage in the future .. especialy if you have a good cpu...(like yours)

look what I taken from that:

<i>"Race Average-
GF3- low-27 high-44 lap average-33
K11- low-34 high-49 lap average-46</i>

in direct3d kyro beats geforce 3 ?
but not in opengl...

if he had tested with an 1,2 ghz athlon then geforce 3 would not look good on this intensive and stressing (to the cards) game...
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by powervr2 on 06/13/01 08:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

good point power, but isnt the kyro about twice the cost of the LE? If the LE is as good as they say it can be when overclocked, then the value of it is undeniable. Besides, the only video card I have owned before now was the ATI All-in-Wonder 16mb PCI card! SO pretty much anything will probably blow my socks off ;-p

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
That was with no t&l.

here are the results with t&L enabled:

<font color=purple><b>GF3- low-42 high-63 lap average-46</b></font color=purple>

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

He will use an athlon 1,5 in the next bench ...
kyro might get better results than geforce 3...