geforce256 - overheating

G

i have a asus v6800 deluxe geforce256. what are normal temperatures to operate at? in windows i get 60 degrees celsius. last night i played counter-strike, and i noticed it was running at 80 celsius. scared the crap outta me and i closed and watched it slowly descend. is it normal for a geforce to go that high? and what is a safe temperature to run at?

lagger

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2001
I had a leadtek gf2 gts that was spiking 70-74 deg C in airwarrior 3dMV online and later 70 while idling with win 98 se.. I got leadtek to replace it ( they also upgraded me to a gf2 pro but that is another story) and it runs 48- 56 idle and about 58 deg stressed out. Contact the manuf and request a replacement 80 is nutz !!
Lagger

<b><font color=blue>Never try to idiot proof anything..God will always make a better Idiot </b> </font color=blue>

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
If you are worried about heat you can replace the GPU fan. I didn't want to try prying off the old heatsink so I just strapped an old 486 fan over the current heatsink. I used 3 wire ties linked together and just wrapped over the fan and through two holes on video card. The fan sits skewed but it works and I know it works because I can overclock higher than I could with the stock fan.

By the way, what are you using to measure GPU temperature? I didn't know this could be done on a Geforce256.

G

with asus v6800 deluxe you can go to asus.com and download a program called 'SmartDoctor' and it monitors your GPU temperature.