GeForce2MX and audio

G

I recently purchased a GeForce2MX pCI 32MB(dont laugh) to upgrade from a Voodoo3 AGP 16MB.

I dont play games THAT often. But I did want to play some games like Civ3 and Spiderman. And a few others. Anyway, thats why I just went w/ an MX/PCI.

Anyway.
Whenever I play Civ3 and listen to MP3s.
The MP3 audio *TOTALLY* messes up. Slows down/pops/etc.
Whenever I watch movie clips the same thing happens.
Its fine in basic 2D windows. this never happened w/ the V3AGP. Its not just the MP3s audio, its also game audio.
Spiderman cutscenes are messing up as well.

I aslo bought another soundcard, same thing.

AMD XP 1600 (1.4GHz)
256MB DDR
60GB 7200rpm.
WinXP Professional

SiS7012 builtin audio.
C-Media 8738 SX PCI audio.

I formatted and reinstalled XP on NTFS, just in case old drivers were messing it up. They werent. I disabled the onboard audio before installing the Cmedia PCI audio.
Running latest drivers for everything and DX8.1

I'm lost :(

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Yeah I get this problem too, but I have a PIII 600E and 256MB of SDRAM and a GF2MX. I always thought that it was cause my comp was slow, but it seems like that may not be the only reason.

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

G

is there any way around that?
I dont see why that would really be a problem.
I mean...if they new it was gonna eat so much bandwidth, why make a PCI version at all?

chuck232

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2002
Ummm...... cause some mobos don't have AGP slots. AGP slots are the optimal slots for Video cards because it has it's own bandwidth so it doesn't have to share it with anything else. Since you had an AGP slot, why ddin't you get an AGP card??..... (not such a great idea to get PCI video cards)

My firewall tastes like burning. :eek:

G

ack..why dont my replies reply?
anyway.

the AGP is like 100+ bucks.
And i'm not willing to shell out that much for a video card.