Geforce3 doesnt have this

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well like i said the Rage Theater 2 on the Radeon 2 will have Hardware Mpeg4.

I cant wait to this:
A P3 533 w/ Radeon 2 beats an Athlon 1.6ghz with Geforce3 in Mpeg4 decoding.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
MPEG4 decoding by the video card to output to the monitor. The test everyone talks about is MPEG ENcoding, not decoding. Decoding must happen in REAL TIME in order to watch a movie!

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
That would probably be mpeg4 assist just like dvd assist. Do you have any links. Its just that you post so much crap, I couldn't take your word for it, even if you only said 2 + 2 = 4.

<font color=red><i>Tomorrow I will live, the fool does say
today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
GF3 does have embm. It supports all three popular bump mapping methods. Emboss, Dot3 and embm. Why are you spreading lies about that card?

today itself's too late; the wise lived yesterday</i></font color=red><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by holygrenade on 06/21/01 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
If anyone else said this, i'd believe him and ask him for benchmark details and results. Since you're saying it, I'll say you're BS'ing.

G

All I've got to say is that any 500+mhz AMD/Intel chip with any $50+ 2X AGP Video Card and 128MB RAM can play an MP4/DivX full screen just fine. I've done it an a K6-2, Celeron, and Thunberbird:)
Hardware MP4 will be just like hardware MPEG2 was, usefull but not neccessary if you have an alright computer to start with.
Too bad the card won't help with encoding....
Mmmmmm... Realtime Encoding....

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.
-Einstein

FatBurger

Illustrious
Realtime encoding? How the heck is that supposed to work?

The output is in a file. How do you judge it to be realtime? If it encodes it while you're watching it?

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

G

Sorry for not being more clear.
Realtime Encoding:
If it can encode it at the same FPS that the movie is at. Most DVDs are at 27 FPS.
Most fast computers can only encode at 15-20 FPS, so it takes ~50% longer than the actual film length to encode it.

I was saying it'd be nice to be able to encode faster than it would take to watch the movie, or even much faster....

Personally when I encoded Saving Private Ryan to an 700MB file last night on my Thunberbird 952Mhz, it took like 6 hours to complete.

That's what I'd like to speed up.
When MP3s first came out you could only encode at 1x or so, now you can do it at >20x with the right system.

Eventually MP4s will be as quick and easy, but not this year unless, of course, they make hardware MP4/DivX encoding.
:)

-Einstein

FatBurger

Illustrious
Yeah, I'm gonna have to start doing MP4 encoding, now that I've got my 1.4 T-bird and plenty of storage space.

------------------------------
Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
With encoding, ripping, and such the speed is in the drives. SCSI is THE only way to go. The key is sustained transfer rates, which IDE drives slow to a crawl after 5 mins.

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
What! first 2pac, now natedogg? where the hell are we? inglewood?

G

"With encoding, ripping, and such the speed is in the drives. SCSI is THE only way to go. The key is sustained transfer rates, which IDE drives slow to a crawl after 5 mins."

I don't know what kind of IDE drives you've been using...
I have SCSI as well, but my DVD drive is IDE and it can take an entire 5gig movie off my drive in about 10 minutes.

Encoding a DVD is Processor dependant, look at Tom's benchmarks. It would not be any faster with a 100x SCSI DVD drive.
Here's a link to Tom's findings
<A HREF="http://www4.tomshardware.com/cpu/00q4/001125/index.html" target="_new">MP4 Encoding </A>

But it was almost a good thought :tongue:

-Einstein

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Matrox cards have had embm for ages and its "Bump" not "Bumb". GF2's by specification do not have embm, but the GF3 does.

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Does the gf3 have embm?

Lets see...

<A HREF="http://www.tweakmax.com/html/gf3generation/gf3-1.cfm" target="_new">http://www.tweakmax.com/html/gf3generation/gf3-1.cfm</A>
<A HREF="http://www.review-zone.com/editorial/hardware/geforce3_overview/page2.shtml" target="_new">http://www.review-zone.com/editorial/hardware/geforce3_overview/page2.shtml</A>

Well, just do a search with <b>GeForce embm</b> you'll come up with enough evidence.