GeForce3 or GeForce2 Ultra

G

I've read the reviews and comparissons but I was curious what yall thought. Say you have $300 - $500 to spend on a new graphics card, would you get a GeForce2 Ultra or a GeForce3? I have my opinion but what are yalls? Please, no flaming and no comments about how sorry NVidia is and how great ATI is. Pretend these two cards are your only choice and ATI doesn't exist.

Its not paranoia if they <b><i>really</b></i> are after you!!!

G

Come on guys, some of you have <i>got</i> to have an opinion about this. I personally say get a GeForce3 since it doesn't seem like money is a problem. It'll last the longest, even if you don't see a hugh increase in the performance of todays games. A 3 would be good for a while until the Truform tech of ATI hits retail and we see how well the implement it.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes, a very strong opinion, one which yo don't want to listen to. No, really the GF3 is the better deal, just don't look at FPS. The image quality of the GF3 is superior then the GF2 Ultra with better 2d and 3d. It is more feature packed and will last much longer, fully DX8 ready with a few exceptions. Do yourself a big favor and buy the GF3. If you can find an Ultra for less then $200 then maybe. GF3's can be had for $340 now days. GF3 man, it is the best 3d graphic card out there. Oh all right I broke down, until the Radeon 2. HEHE sorry :lol: .

G

Thats cool noko, don't worry about breaking down. That type of comment I don't mind. Besides, your right. If the Radeon 2 doesn't perform better than the GeForce 3 then ATI shouldn't release it. :tongue:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
I am sure it will perform better in some things and worst in others. If you want to just focus on one aspect thats fine with me since you may need those better abilities. I think the Radeon2 will outperform the GF3, that doesn't always comes down to FPS. The Ultra beats the GF3 on a number of benchmarks, does that make the Ultra better? Did Nvidia go backwards? Why no, at least by my viewpoint. Once the frame rate is smooth and playable other factors come into play such as image quality, drivers, problems etc.. The image quality of a MX200 is no different then a GF2 Ultra, only thing really different is the speed. The image quality between the GF2 line and GF3 is huge and is one of the reasons why I consider the GF3 to be the best commercial 3d player right now besides vertex shaders and pixel shaders, DX8 stuff. Still when the Radeon2 comes out then the GF3 may get an update so who will be better for you or me is up in the air. It all comes down to what is best for you and then what is best for me.

G

Wasn't Radeon 2 supposed to ship this summer? Can't remember where I heard it, though.

Leo

G

The GeForce 3 has that nifty memory crossbar. Last time I saw one of them used was in a 20K + Computer! How did Nvidia do it so cheaply?