XerXes

Distinguished
May 20, 2001
Jeez... theres a lot of GeForce3 cards, and the most interesting one to me is the Asus Deluxe version.... it has the video in / video out feature, which is pretty cool. I want to buy a dell which offers a GeForce3, but i dunno because its not very clear on what brand it is... Theres like a 1 in ten chance that it may be the Asus, but I can't ask dell via email because it keeps sending back email that i send them... should i just get a Geforce2MX and later add on the GeForce3 (possibly increasing performance?)??

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
You could do that, but Why don't you just build your self a whole new machine. That would be cheaper and you can pick every single component your self.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

It wont be a name brand board, Nvidia gives Dell the chips and they produce their own board for their systems.. it will be a Geforce3 chip but on Dells own board.. and its cheaper to buy the parts off the net and pay somebody locally to put it together, im doing that right now...

Rustolem

Chicken_Attack

Distinguished
May 28, 2001
It really isnt hard to build your own computer, you dont have to really fully understand what jargon it talks about... just as long as you follow instructions that come with the parts, and buy building a pc for dummies book, youll save a [-peep-] load of money.

Raskall

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2001
I would have to agree with the custom built computer idea. It really saves you a lot of money. If you need any help with selecting components, you can always just refer back to this site or ask somebody else. Dell, and all other manufacturer's for that matter, are going to charge a heck of a lot more, for inferior products.

Jason

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Once you do it, you will probably never buy a assembled computer again. Reason, higher quality, easier to upgrade, more overclockable (getting extra speed for free) plus a new found confidence in building computers besides being cheaper overall. Really it is really easy and you can get plenty of help here to guide you through any questions that you may have.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

killall

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dell are skanks... they will try to cheat you every step of the way (using their own mobos and graphics cards for example) potentially making the systems cheaper but at the same time lowering quality and performance... just build it yourself... its not near as hard as it seems (the only problem i encountered on my first box was the reset power button and led hookup which is simple if you read the manual...)

you do not strengthen the weak by weakening the strong

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Then you're gonna start putting 8 fans in your computer with switches and leds in the front panel. Cut out part of the side and put a wire mesh on it, and start looking for ways to connect two power supplies together. But of course you'll never finish the project.

Sorry thats me.

Building computers is dirt easy. The only tool you really need is a crosshead screwdriver and 15 mins of your time. Then comes the slow part, installing windows.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
hehe, I have one case fan, a P/S that has a duel fan, a T-Bird 1.2gz @ 1.4ghz, a Radeon 64 (I love it) and everything is running fine. Why so many holes in the case and fans.??? Plus a MX400 machine but that isn't nothing to brag about. Of coarse you are never finished because there are always cool stuff you can buy cheap and try out and usually end up throwing out or not using in the long run.

Well to eat your <b>C :smile: :smile: kie</b> and have it too, gotta get <b>Rade :smile: n II</b>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I dont have an mx400. I've got a Generation 1 GeForce DDR. I think its almost two years now. or is it over two years.

This things got so many fans because, in my old place before I moved, I connected up my case to a vent on the outer wall of the house with a fan pulling in air from outside. The case temp was between 15 and 18 degrees C. I had to put sponge in the inner part of the duct cos of condesation.

I suppose I'll have to do with 28-32 degrees now. Besides, I don't care about those things anymore. I've got rid of my upgrading addiction. Over a year without upgrading. I've had to buy a hard-drive but that comes under necessities, right? and perhaps this and that here and there. But no major upgrades.

I'll upgrade when Doom 3 is released. Thats gonna be cool. Athlon 4/5, with GF4/Radeon2/3/Kyro3. I'm guessing money won't be an object.

Kinnie_III

Distinguished
May 1, 2001
Remember that if you build it yourself there is no tech support, other than sites like this one.

I always bought Dell machines because I didn't want to open the box and Dell had a good name. Then I decided I would just upgrade a few components but most them were built into the motherboard. I decided then that I would build my own and I could put on it what I wanted. I completed it about a month ago and am glad I did. I will add/replace components here and there and probably never buy a complete system again.

A Child of the King,
Kinnie

A Child of the King,
Kinnie

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Usually the tech support here is much higher quality then from the manufactuer. As long as you have another computer to get access to the internet then tech support is not a problem if you build your own. Plus usually the motherboard manufacturers will give you tech support anyways while if you bought the same motherboard in a Dell system the mobo manufacturer won't touch it and will refer you back to Dell. Same with the graphics card and a number of add in cards. I believe you get better support when you build your own is the bottom line, much better.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Well if the motherboard goes out you can usually get a replacement of the motherboard up to a year from time of purchase. Luckily I never had to do that. Video cards also works the same way except for ATI Retail you have a 5 year warranty, ELSA I think has 6 years (who keeps a video card that long?). Hard drives also carry a warranty. I understand what you are saying, since most problems are software, driver or Bios related.

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
I will aggree on biulding your own, mainly because you will know exactly what goes into your system, and will know its limitations. Dell and other companies also use cheap commponents. I recently built a machine for a friend and saved him about $500 over a comparable Dell or Gateway. If you do come to this site, you are not the normal commputer iliterate person, build our own. Plus 90% of the problems with building it yourself are in the installation. I have had many home made computers over the years and once I got it running smoothly, none of them have ever had any problems, with exception of extreme old age; an OEM on the other hand can crash at any time, any where.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

HighCv2

Distinguished
May 31, 2001
LOL, this is wrong, I was able to play FF 8 on Bleem (emulator) on my old p200 mmx with 64 ram and a Voodoo2 at 640x480 at about 20 fps, and it would slow down a bit on the world map, which has like 10000 polygons at any given time on the screen. U should be able to get a much higher framerate on the native PC version!!

"He who laughs last doesn't get the joke"

G

I bought a dell before, then I decided to upgrade, ended up replacing everything but the case (which gave me problems later because the case buttons weren't standard)