GeForece 2 MX Vs. Voodoo5

mjdunn

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2001
I would like to know the performance difference between the GeForce2 MX and the Voodoo5. Both cards can be bought for about the same price ($15 dif is same price to me). I have always loved 3dFX over Nvidia mainly because I have never had a problem with 3dFX (My older brother loves Nvidia but always is downloading new drivers so his new game will work). I had a TnT2 and had driver problems until I downloaded them from Nvidia. I am willing to break my ties with 3dFX if the GeForce2 MX is able to keep up with the Voodoo5. Or I may wait until NV20 comes out and watch the GeForce2 GTS and Ultra prices fall. If anyone has benchmarks showing which is better I would love to know.

Thanks,
Matt

mpjesse

Splendid
A GeForce 2 MX outperforms a Voodoo 4/5 on every level. The only disadvantage to the MX is the crappy FSAA support- but who cares at resolutions above 1024x768 anyways? Most newer games are not playable with Voodoo 5's FSAA at 1024x768 because of low frame rates anyways. 3dfx is dead- might as well go with the ppl who bought them- nVidia.

-MP Jesse

G

Go for the nVidia. 3DFX no longer exists - and no-one knows who'll support the products in the long term if you had any problems. I wonder also whether nVidia will bother writing new and improved drivers in the future. You could be stuck with the current versions forever :O

The Voodoo 5 performance is also worse - it's not really a graphics card, it's 2 overclocked graphics cards on one card drawing immense power from your system. The overclocking potential on the GeForce is much better. The Voodoo 5 technology is basically the same as the Rage Fury MAXX. They can't be bothered to develop new chips so they put more than one on a board.

Plus, if you wait a while, you might find the price of the MX drops sharply when NV20 (GeForce 3) is released very soon (mid March).

~ I'm not AMD biased, I just think their chips are better ~

G

I agree on buying the MX over the V5 unless FSAA is a big thing for you. I wouldn't bet on a big price drop for the MX after the NV20 comes out. Figure $10-$15 at the most. They're already very low as it is.