Geil's Plans For RGB LED DDR4 RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Dumb and Dumber To all over again. Stop with the RGB lights! Soon our SSDs will have RGB lighting in them as well.
Way ahead of you.
http://hexus.net/tech/news/ram/83729-avexir-launches-led-plasma-tube-equipped-ssds/

So they are attempting to fix an issue they created by adding pointless lights?
Are we supposed to be impressed that they got down to two cables (in very few cases) and in the future one? That sounds like a big step back dont you think.
Heres our new high end RAM, but you have to power it.

The LEDs are a separate board. That is why it needs power.

Not that leds on everything do anything for me personally

Pointless gimmicks have been selling for years. Someone is buying all the led filled computer parts so they make more. I have no case window(well my old Antec 900 does, but yeah) and no use for anything other than the normal led indicators(Power/HDD. network would be nice too sometimes).

syrious1

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
It's for modding of course, you have a slick glass case or a window on your PC then you want RGG lighting. How is this a hard concept to grasp, if you don't want RGB ram kits then buy the lower priced stock heat shield DIMMs.

DonQuixoteMC

Distinguished
It's for modding of course, you have a slick glass case or a window on your PC then you want RGG lighting. How is this a hard concept to grasp, if you don't want RGB ram kits then buy the lower priced stock heat shield DIMMs.

I dunno. I guess I'd just rather tech companies spend more time on R&D rather than gimmicky marketing bull.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
2000 - "Wow, that is an awesome lighting on your CPU with cold cathodes"
2003 - "Oh look, your case looks cool with the LED on exhaust fan"
2006 - "Oh look, your CPU fan looks cool with that LED"
2007 - "Wow, your phone looks more cooler changing that LED from amber to white, matches your LED lights on your CPU"
2009 - "What is that LED on your motherboard?"
2012 - "What is that LED on your GPU"
2013 - "LED on your memory?"
2014 - nobody cares anymore...

Probably.
I have two cold cathodes in my PC just to light it up (why not, since most cases have windows now).
Other than that, I have a strip of remote LEDs behind my desk and the shelf on it. This way I can set it to white when I need it, dim it, or turn it to another color if white is too harsh.

sillynilly

Reputable
Jan 6, 2016

I can't express how much I hate you right now ;)

The world is truly coming to an end, but it will be pretty with all the RGB crap on everything.

jasonkaler

Distinguished
This product is idiotic.

why not just sell LED strips with double sided tape on them?
Then you can attach LEDs to any component you want.

Oh wait, that exists already.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
LEDs are for getting a colour scheme match. Remember the days of getting a motherboard that was blue and ram that was green and the GPU board may have been red (ATI) green or blue?

Now most motherboards and GPU boards are black but the accent colours still don't match up. All we have are red which is so annoying now because it seems everyone wants to do red and black themes. There is blue and black but hard to get a good GPU in blue.

Remember when everyone wanted a black and green build when the G1 Sniper boards were popular, green ram heatsinks and green LED fans were rare.

Now with RGB we can do what ever colour rig we want, the only issue I have is this ram. screw the additional cables for power and control. make them get power from the ram slot and control the colours from the ram slots too.

norseman4

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
LEDs are for getting a colour scheme match. Remember the days of getting a motherboard that was blue and ram that was green and the GPU board may have been red (ATI) green or blue?

Now most motherboards and GPU boards are black but the accent colours still don't match up. All we have are red which is so annoying now because it seems everyone wants to do red and black themes. There is blue and black but hard to get a good GPU in blue.

Remember when everyone wanted a black and green build when the G1 Sniper boards were popular, green ram heatsinks and green LED fans were rare.

Now with RGB we can do what ever colour rig we want, the only issue I have is this ram. screw the additional cables for power and control. make them get power from the ram slot and control the colours from the ram slots too.

That's what spray paint is for. Remove the side cover to the PC and go to town.

For anybody who thinks I'm being serious, turn off the computer, go outside, and see if there is a pick-up game of any outdoor activity.

Nope I don't. If I am doing a window build I would much rather have a LED strip controlled by a RGB LEG controller. Why? Because each thing with a LED will either have to match colors or it will end up looking like a Christmas tree.

beoir

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2007
Dear lord. Couldn't they instead redesign it as a heat dissipation device. Or, at least use the lights as an indicator if the RAM is not seated or finally dies.

Well, memory really dosent produce all that much heat, at all.
You should know when ram is seated or not, and there are already debug LED codes on motherboards.

This is why I favor LP ram. Sleek, simple, and out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.