Geinimi: Android Gets A New Trojan

Status
Not open for further replies.

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Google market needs to add a new feature to rate the security of the Apps.

An App that requests permission for installing and uninstalling of apps should never be trusted. And I just don't see why that is even necessary for any App.

THEfog101

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
[citation][nom]alzheimerz[/nom]I have a Symbian phone. No Trojan. No problem.[/citation]

I have a Rock. No Trojan. No Problem.

see what i did there.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
In Geinimi's case, the app asks for location coordinates, device identifiers, the permission for installing and uninstalling of apps, and a list of installed apps on a device.
Google made it very easy to know to what an app will have access when installing it but most people simply choose to ignore it. I think most people should reeducate themselves in terms of information security.

pim69

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
sooo... they know exactly the domains the malware reports to. Pretty easy to find out who hosts/owns those domains and sue them, isnt it? I don't get it... why havent they been shut down already?

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
pim that depends where thier servers are, if they re in a country that us or interpol have no jurisdiction over and in a country that has no laws against cyber crimes then no it technically isn't illegal at all

pim69

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
Hopefully they quickly get added to DNS blacklists on internet backbone servers in North America then. Most of the internet's backbone is in the US, so servers in other countries maybe can't be physically brought down, but it's easy to make all the internet's DNS servers ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.