[SOLVED] Gen 4 M.2 Fitting on Board with Protective Shielding

onefootswill

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2013
Have not built a case in 7 years and things have changed a bit.

I have a question about this board .

If you look at the areas where the M.2 drives go, they are "covered" over by some kind of protective shielding.

Now, if you look at this new Gen 4 M.2 drive from Corsair, it has some pretty significant heating fins on it -

Are these incompatible. Basically, I believe to accommodate that drivce, you would need to remove the protective shielding of the mobo.

Is that possible? Is that how it is meant to work?

Just want to clear that up before I go and make any purchases.

Thanks

Solution
You can use either or. The heating fins that come with the M.2 is removable and thus optional. And with that board you can choose to use the heatsink that comes with the M.2 or use the board's built in as you stated above. Though with a GEN 4 m.2 I would recommend using the beefy heatsink that it comes with. You can always test out both if you want to confirm efficiency.

Though since you say you haven't built a PC in 7 years perhaps you're unaware that you don't need a Gen 4 M.2 NVMe as a Gen 3 is still really fast for today's practical uses and much cheaper for the same size.

But if you really want Gen 4, then by all means go for it. There are no compatibility issues with those 2 components.
You can use either or. The heating fins that come with the M.2 is removable and thus optional. And with that board you can choose to use the heatsink that comes with the M.2 or use the board's built in as you stated above. Though with a GEN 4 m.2 I would recommend using the beefy heatsink that it comes with. You can always test out both if you want to confirm efficiency.

Though since you say you haven't built a PC in 7 years perhaps you're unaware that you don't need a Gen 4 M.2 NVMe as a Gen 3 is still really fast for today's practical uses and much cheaper for the same size.

But if you really want Gen 4, then by all means go for it. There are no compatibility issues with those 2 components.

Reactions: JoBalz
Solution