[SOLVED] Gen4 PCIe worth it for the normal consumer?

Apr 11, 2019
Hello eveyone. Ryzen series is about to launch and so is the PCIe 4.0 features.

While I was building my new pc for gaming, streaming and just normal day to day workload I wondered if I should get the Corsair Force MP600 NVMe Gen4 m.2 - 1TB for 285 USD or if I should get Intel 660p SSD M.2 NVMe - 2TB for 240 dollars - Its gonna be build with the Ryzen 9 3900X

Solution
Should I go with the Intel 660p SSD M.2 NVMe - 2TB for 240 dollars then ? or the MP force 510 - 960 GB for 195 dollars ? is the Corsair so much better ? because i will almost get one TB more with Intel for 50 bucks
In the NVMe world, the Intel 660p is a slow performer. Still much faster than a SATA III SSD, but not as fast as other NVMe drives.
(I have one as a secondary drive in my system)

Will you personally notice the difference? Probably not.
"Should I...?" is all up to you.

USAFRet

Titan
Eventually, yes. PCIe 4 will become the standard.

Will you notice a difference between a brand new superzoom PCIe 4 SSD and an Intel 660p?
Depends - What do you use this system for? From your description, (gaming, streaming and just normal day to day workload ), almost certainly not.

SSD's, even SATA III SSD, are already fast. We're getting into diminishing returns here.

Getting into a new game level in 3 secs or 2.6 sec. Vs 40 seconds on an old spinning HDD.

That Corsair is way more expensive per GB than the Intel or any other SSD because it is the New Shiny.
Prices will come down over time.

Apr 11, 2019
Im not sure what you mean? Should i go with the mp600 , because PCIe 4 will become standard? or do you recommand that I wait for prices to come down ? because I will need a storage unit in my build, so what do you suggest I do ?

I could also go with a normal ssd, just heard that the M.2 is the way to go

PS. Thanks for the fast reply

USAFRet

Titan
Im not sure what you mean? Should i go with the mp600 , because PCIe 4 will become standard? or do you recommand that I wait for prices to come down ? because I will need a storage unit in my build, so what do you suggest I do ?

PS. Thanks for the fast reply
I'm recommending NOT getting the mp600 Gen 4, because you'll see no performance difference for that 2x added cost.

By "standard", I meant that SSD's of any type are more or less a standard thing to have in a PC, that PCIe Gen 4 will eventually become just a standard thing you get and install. Just not today...;)

Apr 11, 2019
Should I go with the Intel 660p SSD M.2 NVMe - 2TB for 240 dollars then ? or the MP force 510 - 960 GB for 195 dollars ? is the Corsair so much better ? because i will almost get one TB more with Intel for 50 bucks

USAFRet

Titan
In the NVMe world, the Intel 660p is a slow performer. Still much faster than a SATA III SSD, but not as fast as other NVMe drives.
(I have one as a secondary drive in my system)

Will you personally notice the difference? Probably not.
"Should I...?" is all up to you.

Solution

prophet51

Reputable
Jun 14, 2019

I would go intel. More gigabytes matter for gaming and it's probably faster than any sata 3ssd.