General clean-up type questions!

mb

I have a Dell Dim 2400 system with XP Home.

1) I notice that at 1:00 AM the disk drive starts running and there is about
3 minutes of noticeable activity. This happens every day at this time. What
could this be?? I didn't see anything listed under scheduled
maintenance/tasks, but perhaps I am not looking in the right place. Also,
when I press ctr/alt/del I see plenty of processes running so I can't really
decipher from that what it might be. Any ideas on how I can track down what
is happening (I suspect it is some routine task, but what??)??

2) I run Ad-Aware about once a week and it always seems to identify about 33
files. I eliminate them, but next week it again identifies these files (it
calls them data miners). I then follow it with Spybot and it seems to find
an additional 14-15 files. I eliminate those. But am I accomplishing
anything since the same (approx) number of files re-appear week after week.
I guess first I am wondering if this is a high or low number of spy-type
files and any ideas of how to avoid this continual accumulation of the same
files!

Oh, yeah, I also run my AV program (AVG) every week or so and it has never
identified any viruses. I also do disk cleanup sometimes and I'll defrag my
drive every few months.

Mel

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a Dell Dim 2400 system with XP Home.
>
> 1) I notice that at 1:00 AM the disk drive starts running and there is
about
> 3 minutes of noticeable activity. This happens every day at this time.
What
> could this be?? I didn't see anything listed under scheduled
> maintenance/tasks, but perhaps I am not looking in the right place. Also,
> when I press ctr/alt/del I see plenty of processes running so I can't
really
> decipher from that what it might be. Any ideas on how I can track down
what
> is happening (I suspect it is some routine task, but what??)??

could be anything that you have installed. bring up task manager and see
what
process is clocking cpu time when you hear the disk activity. post it or
look it up
here:

> 2) I run Ad-Aware about once a week and it always seems to identify about
33
> files. I eliminate them, but next week it again identifies these files (it
> calls them data miners). I then follow it with Spybot and it seems to find
> an additional 14-15 files. I eliminate those. But am I accomplishing
> anything since the same (approx) number of files re-appear week after
week.
> I guess first I am wondering if this is a high or low number of spy-type
> files and any ideas of how to avoid this continual accumulation of the
same
> files!

they are coming from the web sites you are visiting. the latest version of
spybot
will allow you to deny them.

> Oh, yeah, I also run my AV program (AVG) every week or so and it has never
> identified any viruses. I also do disk cleanup sometimes and I'll defrag
my
> drive every few months.

good practice. make sure you check for virus updates daily though.

> Mel

>"CurlyQ"

>bring up task manager and see
>what
>process is clocking cpu time when you hear the disk activity. post it or
>look it up
>here:
>
>http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

Ahhhh. Thank you.
--
"When you argue with a fool be sure he is not similarly occupied."

See how the pros get their power!
http://www.powrwrap.com/press.htm

powrwrap@aol.compost (Alan S. Wales) wrote:

>>"CurlyQ"

>>bring up task manager and see what
>>process is clocking cpu time when you hear the disk activity. post it or
>>look it up here:

>>http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist.htm

>Ahhhh. Thank you.

Echoing Alan's thanks, that is a neat page that seems to answer a
*lot* of questions - in one place - that I've always had about
the s[tuff] that's always running on my machine. Quite complete,
AFAIAC; it only missed two of the processes I have running, both
of them obscure, but easily identifiable, utilities.
--
OJ III

mb

Folks:

OK, I did as suggested. The program appears to be cisvc.exe

But I see nothing that would indicate why it would start at exactly 1:00 AM
every day. What am I missing???

Mel

MB wrote:
> Folks:
>
> OK, I did as suggested. The program appears to be cisvc.exe
>
> But I see nothing that would indicate why it would start at exactly
> 1:00 AM every day. What am I missing???

Could be Windows Indexing or a keylogger - http://tinyurl.com/3tl2h

Ed

The program CISVC.EXE is also the executable for a shareware program called
Family Keylogger by SPY Arsenal. Maybe your keystrokes are being logged and
viewed by another person??

http://www.spyarsenal.com/familykeylogger/

> Folks:
>
> OK, I did as suggested. The program appears to be cisvc.exe
>
> But I see nothing that would indicate why it would start at exactly 1:00
> AM
> every day. What am I missing???
>
> Mel
>

> "Ogden Johnson III" <oj3usmc@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> or

>> >Ahhhh. Thank you.
>>
>> Echoing Alan's thanks, that is a neat page that seems to answer a
>> *lot* of questions - in one place - that I've always had about
>> the s[tuff] that's always running on my machine. Quite complete,
>> AFAIAC; it only missed two of the processes I have running, both
>> of them obscure, but easily identifiable, utilities.
>> --
>> OJ III
>> [Email to Yahoo address may be burned before reading.
>> Lower and crunch the sig and you'll net me at comcast.]

keylogger

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Family Keylogger is a software program or hardware device that is used to monitor and log each of the keys a user types into a computer keyboard. The user who installed the program or hardware device can then view all keys typed in by that user. Because these programs and hardware devices monitor the keys typed in, a user can easily find user passwords and other information a user may not wish others to know about.