General Discussion: relative merits of i5 vs i7

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
So, the news is out that Intel are dropping the i7 920 and 940 and moving the range into high end computing.

i5 is due to be released on September 1st but:
- we know already that the board costs are top end of C2D range due to a high bill of materials. The expected price, according to Bit-tech is £125 to £200.
- we don't know what the price of the equivalent i5 chip to the 920 is going to be. Are builders about to be ripped off?

So really the question for all the new builds here is:
- Snap up an i7 920 and X58 board before they vanish
- Wait for i5 and hope the an equivalent chip to the 920 is a sensible price

I thought I'd set this thread up as a discussion to find out what people know and try to gauge what the best option for builders is.

Jeremy

Bit-tech links:
- Dropping i7: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/05/28/intel-to-discontinue-core-i7-920-940-cpus/1
- P55 boards: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/05/28/intel-p55-and-lynnfield-to-launch-on-1st-se/1

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Well I think it comes down to your needs and wants. If you require a lot of raw horse power snag up an i7 chip. If your more of a casual person then the i5 will most likely fit your needs much better.

What's interresting about this is my thoughts for when the i7 chip came out was that this was more for the bussiness world (multi-tasking office work ect) and not for the gamers/euthiest world. I thought they may make a suped up verison of the i7 with a lot of cache on it sorta like they did with the Q9550 and that would be considerd the gamers/euthiest chip and the i7 would be more for the multi-taskers. I believe after the release of the i5 this is the case but who knows. *shrugs*

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
well it looks like intel is digging one big hole for themselves.

so £125 for the mobo + £250 for the 920 equivalent CPU + £50 for some 1.65v DDR3.

that totals at £425, and for the same price at the moment you can get a 955 BE oc'ed to 3.8ghz with gigabyte 790GX AM3 motherboard and some 1600mhz ram.

and the 955 is no slacker, it comes fairly close to the i7 920 in synthetic benchmarks and beats it in gaming.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Ya, I think the i5 is to target the laptop market more than the high end desktop market.

Like i noted above i think the i7 was to target the bussiness world

and i think the next future cpu will target gaming/ethusists world but we'll see?

Helloworld_98

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
^ maybe but 95w for the bottom end CPU is going to be hard to shrink down to the 25w for mobile computing.

TBH a bigger debate other than i5 vs i7 would be why the heck is AMD losing so much money?

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Interesting thoughts.

Do you think intel are trying to replace the whole C2D line as well, or do you think they will keep it going for longer?

Kubes you talk about another CPU to target high end gaming market, do you think this will come with i5 or later?

I really want to start a discussion to see what is happening, I've read a bunch of the latest comments and can't decide which is better. Maybe you could post things into this thread as you come across them.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008

Ya, but battery technology is also coming a long ways but your right that'll be a task. I know there's the atom but for higher powered laptops i just think the i5 would be the cpu for the job. Now that both the C2D and C2Q have their predassors in place (i5 and i7) i would pick the i5 to be the one that is used in laptops? This is me just making up my own assumptions though.

I think this will come later. instead of increasing clock speeds i forsee intel parralizing out how many cores each chip has and the way cache's will be utilized. I think the gaming industry is starting to jump on the multiple core band wagon being able to take use of this technology.

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Thanks for the link why_me, Looks like the arrandale will be the cpu for mobile computing. meaning the i5 is not it. It should be realeased right behind the i5.

jpdykes

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2007
Interesting article why_me.
One of the reasons for starting the thread was to find out what the 920 equivalent is going to be. Apparently a 2.80GHz system.

The system they had a 2.66GHz without HT seemed to be doing the business very nicely in the gaming benchmarks. In the Excel benchmark it seems to come close, though not quite as fast.

It looks more like the preproduction chip is giving the i7 920 a hard time than the other way around. And given the system will be cheaper overall that looks like a good bet.
The consider that i7 will vanish in September to all of us without very deep pockets and the i5 looks very nice indeed.

Other stuff I've picked up:

Overclocking of Lynnfield, suggest 5GHz is achieveable with air cooling:
http://www.bit-tech.net/news/hardware/2009/06/03/lynnfield-overclocks-to-5ghz/1

New i7 processors:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/core-i7-975,2318.html