Question General future Proofing of a Liquid Cooler

Jan 22, 2020
I bought a Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, 240mm Radiator off Amazon for a future build I have in mind that I want to make by late 2020. I know that there is a lot of speculation on AM5 being released around that time and towards 2021 so that said would that liquid cooler be a bad purchase for now? Would all I have to do is potentially change the mounting brackets? Kinda a dumb question because it’s not like anyone can predict the future but I’m just wondering the likely hood I would just need a different cooler in general and If I should hold off on buying it.

You shouldnt buy components over time, put the money aside and buy them all at once.
The concerns you listed are one reason, some manufacturers do offer free mounting brackets if sockets change, other charge. Some dont support new sockets on old coolers at all.
Additionally, components could be DOA and you wouldnt know.

Reactions: drea.drechsler

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Not really wise to pick a cooler before a socket is released. Far as I know, no news about its possible physical dimensions.

Still one more generation of AM4 chips expected end of this year, so we won't likely be seeing AM5 this year. That is expected to have DDR5, so unless they don't need more pins, it might be the same rough size.

I bought a Corsair Hydro Series, H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, 240mm Radiator off Amazon for a future build I have in mind that I want to make by late 2020. I know that there is a lot of speculation on AM5 being released around that time and towards 2021 so that said would that liquid cooler be a bad purchase for now? Would all I have to do is potentially change the mounting brackets? Kinda a dumb question because it’s not like anyone can predict the future but I’m just wondering the likely hood I would just need a different cooler in general and If I should hold off on buying it.
This doesn't address your question but keep in mind that warranty period begins at purchase date, so buying and holding parts for months may not be such a great idea. There's also a limited amount of time to return an unused item. If that time passes and you find you don't want / can't use it, or it's faulty out of the box then you're stuck with it and would have to sell it cheap on ebay or something,

Jan 22, 2020
T
You shouldnt buy components over time, put the money aside and buy them all at once.
The concerns you listed are one reason, some manufacturers do offer free mounting brackets if sockets change, other charge. Some dont support new sockets on old coolers at all.
Thank you for talking me out of doing this. I got swayed over by wanting to start purchasing the parts and threw reason out the window. My original plan was to purchase it all at the same time and I will stick it. I can cancel my order so we you saved me from a mistake.