[SOLVED] General gaming/hardware questions

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
Tldr at bottom
So the newest component of my PC is the GPU.... an R9 fury circa 2015.
I'm a casual gamer, but I like big open worlds with high detail and strategy games like Civ6. I know big open world games are gpu intensive and civ type games are cpu intensive.
So the next game I intend on buying is probably Starfield. Obviously it's still a ways out, but I would like the "best" experience while playing it.
I'm looking for the best gaming MoBo, CPU, and Ram combo that might not be too obsolete by the time it comes out, but I have a lack of understanding with what that would be. Nor what an upgrade path would be for high end stuff. For example, a threadripper has tons of useless cores for me, but a high bandwidth, compared to a ryzen7 or 9, which has a higher clock speed but less bandwidth.
I know the GPU will need an upgrade, but I'm not in a hurry.
Tldr: I don't need a Ferrari to deliver pizzas, but I'm still looking for the most effective and fastest way to deliver pizzas.
Budget isn't really an issue but I don't want to spend $5000 when $2000 will accomplish everything I need for the next 7 years.
I have a preference for AMD, but am unopposed to intel options, since I have to get a new Mobo anyways.

Solution
If by "might not be too obsolete by the time it comes out " you mean you still have some sort of upgrade path, you're going to have to wait until later this year to next year. Intel plans on launching Adler Lake at the end of this year and AMD plans on launching a new socket based platform next year.

The current platforms are dead-ends.

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015
post your current complete system specifications
along with when exactly you plan on having it by.
Well, right now I'm running an obsolete AM3 platform that I'm looking to upgrade to current or next gen so I'm looking at a whole new system minus the case and PSU. (Generic mid tower and corsair ax 760 platinum)
I also don't have an exact timeframe, but 2022 at the latest.

If by "might not be too obsolete by the time it comes out " you mean you still have some sort of upgrade path, you're going to have to wait until later this year to next year. Intel plans on launching Adler Lake at the end of this year and AMD plans on launching a new socket based platform next year.

Solution

bryanc723

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2015

Yes this is exactly what I was asking. I knew AM4 was getting close to EOL, but wasn't sure about intel. Thanks!