General hardware information

Paddy-0524

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Greetings.

My question is not specificly related to motherboards or memory, as it encompasses
hardware in general.

Lately I have decided to upgrade to another motherboard so as to full support
for my latest memory purchase. Before I go ahead and purchase a new piece of hardware,
I always do some research to see what is exists and what meets my requirements.

Can someone tell me if there exists a something like a hardware information
database on the net. It would be really usefull to have a central database where
detailed information on most computer parts is stored, so that you do not have
to browse a dozen websites to find the information you need.

Paddy-0524

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Yes, that is why I came here, but it seems that they do not have the information as I need it.

What I am looking for is detailed information like chipset/memory support/features for mobo's,
frequency/wattage/system bus/cache for cpu, memory clock/core clock/memory size for GPU, rpm/capacity/cache for HDD and so on.

Paddy-0524

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
while googling I came across a site with alot of specs and other information of various graphics cards and processing units.

www.gpureview.com
The information on this site is quite detailed, and exactly what I am looking for. Sadly this
is only for graphic cards.

So far I have not come across any similar project for other hardware, so perhaps I will create
one myself. It certainly is a great source of information for people like me that do not dabble
in the tweaking and overclocking arts or know alot about hardware.

I do not know of any "one stop shopping" point for information on everything.

If you decide to start one, you will need lots of luck keeping it updated.

Something that is more practical is a collection of links pointing to where the information is.

Paddy-0524

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Yes, I understand that this would be quite a feat and difficult to maintain. So it might be better to
focus on one particular subject, solely for cpu's or mainboards or memory. It is just an idea now,
and I the next step is to find out how practical this idea is and how far I should take it.

The site at gpureview is an example for me of how to go about it, and I think that with the help of other people and a strong community this can also be achieved for the stuff I want to get done.