[SOLVED] General Purpose Desktop

pmsmith2032

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I am looking for a basic budget desktop for my bookkeeping business. I only have a couple of clients (side job but looking to grow in 2019). I will be running QuickBooks (both desktop and online versions) and Excel mainly. I will need to be able to run multiple monitors. PC will also be used by my family for some occasional non-business functions (paying bills, shopping, picture editing etc). The computer will not be used for gaming or watching video. I want to keep cost as low as possible.
I currently am using a Dell Inspiron I6400 - Vista Business - 2.00 GB of RAM - 32-bit operating system for reference. I am also not opposed to a laptop but from what I've seen I can get more for my $ with a desktop. I would like to keep cost around $300 if possible and am not opposed to buying a refurbished prebuilt unit or building my own. Thanks!

Solution
I would highly suggest going aftermarket retailers, like Newegg or even eBay for a refurbished office box. For what you are needing you should be able to find a nice and inexpensive Dell OptiPlex around the 4th or maybe 3rd gen and leave yourself a bit of money for putting in an inexpensive SSD. I would also recommend that if you stick with VGA and DVI you could possibly re-use your old monitors if they are worthwhile, or spend a whole lot less on them than HDMI equivalents.
Sticking with those generations also keeps you on CHEAP DDR3 RAM modules.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
I would highly suggest going aftermarket retailers, like Newegg or even eBay for a refurbished office box. For what you are needing you should be able to find a nice and inexpensive Dell OptiPlex around the 4th or maybe 3rd gen and leave yourself a bit of money for putting in an inexpensive SSD. I would also recommend that if you stick with VGA and DVI you could possibly re-use your old monitors if they are worthwhile, or spend a whole lot less on them than HDMI equivalents.
Sticking with those generations also keeps you on CHEAP DDR3 RAM modules.

Solution

kanewolf

Titan
The desktop I referred to on Dell's website is an i3-8100 (current generation) vs an i5-3470 which is 4 generations older. I would NOT recommend such old tech. Especially using the built-in graphics hardware. There is a BIG difference between the 8xxx and 3xxx CPUs for built-in graphics.

kanewolf

Titan

It has gotten more difficult to separate them.. i3 for a long time was a dual core, i5 was a quad core and i7 was a quad core with hyperthreading. With the 8xxx and newer the i3 has become quad core, the i5 is six core and the i7 is 6 core with hyperthreading. So the small, medium and large analogy still holds but the guts has changed. So a current generation i3 is equivalent to an older i5. That is what makes things difficult.

kanewolf

Titan

The i5 has two more physical CPU cores (6 vs 4). So things like rendering video or compressing ripped audio/video would be faster. The i5 has a higher maximum clock speed, so even things that only use 1 CPU core would be faster. They haev the same built-in graphics. Compared to what you have, the i3 will seem like warp speed. For me, I would take the $50 and buy an SSD. You would get more performance improvement from an SSD than you would from two more cores, IMO.

punkncat

Champion
Ambassador
Don't do Vostro, go OptiPlex or better when looking at a refurb. Vostro is the budget line.

For static screens on Office pages the built in resolution is a feature you don't need to pay for. Obviously it's your money....but would look hard and long at the COST of that newer generation system vs the older ones. The reason so many refurbishers work with those old OptiPlex systems are that they are generally reliable as hell. They know it's a safe bet to offer even continuing warranty on them because it's so rare to break. I would like to say the same about the newer upper lines of their equipment but they haven't stood that test of time yet.

pmsmith2032

Reputable
Nov 28, 2016
I've narrowed my choices down to these two desktops:

Refurbished Dell Inspiron 3670 Desktop - i3-8100 Processor (Quad Core, 3.6GHz,), Windows 10 Home 64bit, 1TB SATA Hard Drive, 8GB Memory

Refurbished Dell Optiplex 9010 Business Desktop - i5-3470 Processor (3.2 GHz), Windows 10 Professional; 1TB SATA Hard Drive, 8GB Memory

The Optiplex 9010 is approximately $100 cheaper so I could use some of the savings to upgrade storage (SSD), etc.

Thoughts?

TRENDING THREADS