Question General purpose laptop advice?

fael097

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Hey, I'm looking for a general purpose laptop to buy. It doesn't need to be the fastest or anything, but it must be capable of running stuff. Let me elaborate

I work with 3d modeling/rendering and I already have a very capable desktop PC, which also can run games in 4k which I play occasionally, but it recently broke, and I'm relying on a surface go and my phone to do my daily activities. Obviously I can't do my work nor play games on them, so I want to buy a laptop so I won't have to interrupt my work when this kind of things happen. Really it doesn't need to be nearly as good as my PC, if I could just open some 3d models and play games at 1080p low/med settings, that would be awesome.

The thing is that I had a laptop and it also died a few months ago, that's some bad luck right there, but it was kinda sub par. It had an Nvidia 920m or something that wouldn't run any games or even be able to open 3d models without glitching.

So I don't know, maybe a gtx1050 would do the job? I wanted to spend as little as possible, except I wanted a good solid build. I've used these Acer laptops which have some kinda good specs except they are terribly made. The touch pad response is slow and weird, they are all plastic, the screen is terrible.

I've been searching for a while nowbut browsing for laptops is awful. Dell website is a mess, you can't really compare all they have and sort by price. MSI website is worse, their model numbers and naming is completely arbitrary, you don't know what to choose and if you just go for anything, sometimes they don't even have that in stock.

So that's why I need help, perhaps someone knows what's good out there? What do you suggest?

What's your budget and location?

I just upgraded from a GTX 1050 in my desktop and i can say the GTX 1050 will run most games fluently at 1080p low or medium. Some games are a different story hence why I upgraded, but these are generally unoptimized titles.
My ACER Nitro 5 (1050TI+I5 8350H) is not like that at all. Very solid feeling, runs cool, the touchpad is good, the screen is IPS 1080p. Great deal on it here if you have a Best Buy locally.

I5 8300h 4c/8t 4ghz turbo
UHD Graphics 630 maybe
GTX 1050TI 4gb
256gb Intel 660p NVME SSD
60hz 1080p IPS panel
Spare empty SATA bay to expand storage.
$575
https://www.bestbuy.com/site/acer-n...ate-drive-shale-black/6212602.p?skuId=6212602

Last edited:

Sagar_20

Distinguished
Check out the Asus FX504 and Acer Nitro 5. They have a very high price to performance ratio. Particularly the Asus FX504 with 6 GB GTX 1060

If looking for a compact gaming laptop, you might want to get an Msi instead.

Recently Acer launched the Nitro 5 2019 with 4 GB GTX 1650 which is a compact full sized gaming laptop. That could also be a great deal. 3 GB GTX 1050 model for 730$.

Last edited: