Question General question

wpgwpg

Honorable
Unless you're replacing the same make and model motherboard and CPU I strongly recommend doing a clean install. Sometimes things can appear to be OK if you don't clean install, but often plague you later with time consuming problems, so it's generally best to just bite the bullet and do the clean install because that usually results in less hard to diagnose problems.

Reactions: Cj-tech

Colif

Win 10 Master
can be 3 results moving install from old pc to new
  1. it works fine
  2. it works but you get weird errors
  3. it doesn't work at all
its generally better to reinstall as you get newer drivers that match hardware

follow this guide: https://forums.tomshardware.com/faq/how-to-do-a-clean-installation-of-windows-10.3170366/

also helps to link license to email address before starting - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/reactivating-windows-10-after-a-hardware-change-2c0e962a-f04c-145b-6ead-fb3fc72b6665 - so that you can move it as well.

lvt

Notable
Apr 19, 2021
Hi, If I switch motherboards do i have to reinstall windows and a new CPU ?
It depends, if your CPU is compatible with the new motherboard, just use it.

You don't need to reinstall win10 after motherboard change with a retail license. Other type of license might require a reinstallation with new key.

May 3, 2021
It depends, if your CPU is compatible with the new motherboard, just use it.

You don't need to reinstall win10 after motherboard change with a retail license. Other type of license might require a reinstallation with new key.
Nah no license with windows, but the CPU, if compatible, I can just take and put it in the new motherboard ?

lvt

Notable
Apr 19, 2021
Nah no license with windows, but the CPU, if compatible, I can just take and put it in the new motherboard ?
Yes, some motherboards require latest Bios to work with some CPU so you should make sure that your motherboard has the latest Bios version before pulling the trigger.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS