[SOLVED] General questions about monitors.

Hi,so i've prepared a couple of questions regarding monitors.
- When we say that the monitor is 144hz,is that the display,or is it configured by something inside of the monitor (that a user might be able to configure when operating inside of a monitor) ?
In other words,are the panels of lets say 60hz and 144hz monitors the same,or is there a difference in types of panels between 60hz and 144hz monitors (or even higher).
-For response time,is there actually a noticable difference between 1 and 2ms?
I know there is a noticable difference (atleast with my eyes) between 1 and 5,but 1 and 2?
-This is kind of a dumb question,but what can be upgraded inside of a monitor?
Or is there anything that can be changed (without the need of repairs ofcourse ) that will affect the monitors performance like increase refresh rate, response time,etc...
I know you can create custom refresh rates (which are very limited) using your GPU's software,but im talking about that.Im talking about phisicaly upgrading a component in a monitor,upgrading it in other words.
Thanks in advance.

Solution
- When we say that the monitor is 144hz,is that the display,or is it configured by something inside of the monitor (that a user might be able to configure when operating inside of a monitor) ?
In other words,are the panels of lets say 60hz and 144hz monitors the same,or is there a difference in types of panels between 60hz and 144hz monitors (or even higher).

Panels are not the same. Ones with faster refresh rate have shorter time for pixel switching from 0% brightness (black) to 100% brightness (fully lit). And obviously - shorter time for switching from 0% brightness to 50% brightness. These parameters matter most.

I know there is a noticable...
"In other words,are the panels of lets say 60hz and 144hz monitors the same,or is there a difference in types of panels between 60hz and 144hz monitors (or even higher). "

There is a difference in the type.

"For response time,is there actually a noticable difference between 1 and 2ms? "

"what can be upgraded inside of a monitor? "

in general...nothing

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Buy the refresh rate you wish to run don't think you can just buy a new 60hz monitor and turn it into a 144 refresh rate.

For 1 to 2ms nothing you would notice and you noticing the difference in 1 to 5 is probably just in your head.

If you got in front of one of each one 1ms the other 5ms and did not know what one was what I think you would never know.

Just as a example it takes you about 220ms to blink your eyes.

"In other words,are the panels of lets say 60hz and 144hz monitors the same,or is there a difference in types of panels between 60hz and 144hz monitors (or even higher). "

There is a difference in the type.

"For response time,is there actually a noticable difference between 1 and 2ms? "

"what can be upgraded inside of a monitor? "

in general...nothing
Thank you,so you cant touch anything inside of it to make it better.

Buy the refresh rate you wish to run don't think you can just buy a new 60hz monitor and turn it into a 144 refresh rate.

For 1 to 2ms nothing you would notice and you noticing the difference in 1 to 5 is probably just in your head.

If you got in front of one of each one 1ms the other 5ms and did not know what one was what I think you would never know.

Just as a example it takes you about 220ms to blink your eyes.
Thank you,so its not worth paiyng for a 1ms response time one over 5ms?
Monitor for gaming of course.

Hi,so i've prepared a couple of questions regarding monitors.
I don't think it's something that can be programmed/changed on the monitor side. The CRU program just changes the signal to the monitor. It doesn't program anything on the monitor. See here for some good info - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

I know there is a noticable difference (atleast with my eyes) between 1 and 5,but 1 and 2?
No.
Testing methodology is more important than result when it comes to response time. Much of what manufacturers tout is just marketing. When you say there's a difference between 1 and 5 it could just be that the mfg. for the "5" uses a more conservative testing method than the mfg. that made the 1.

-This is kind of a dumb question,but what can be upgraded inside of a monitor?
Or is there anything that can be changed (without the need of repairs ofcourse ) that will affect the monitors performance like increase refresh rate, response time,etc...
I know you can create custom refresh rates (which are very limited) using your GPU's software,but im talking about that.Im talking about phisicaly upgrading a component in a monitor,upgrading it in other words.
Thanks in advance.
Nothing.
Monitors are made to conform to strict specifications. Each panel has its limits. You'd be wasting your time in trying to physically 'upgrade' monitor components.

Reactions: Dj0gany
I don't think it's something that can be programmed/changed on the monitor side. The CRU program just changes the signal to the monitor. It doesn't program anything on the monitor. See here for some good info - https://www.monitortests.com/forum/Thread-Custom-Resolution-Utility-CRU

No.
Testing methodology is more important than result when it comes to response time. Much of what manufacturers tout is just marketing. When you say there's a difference between 1 and 5 it could just be that the mfg. for the "5" uses a more conservative testing method than the mfg. that made the 1.

Nothing.
Monitors are made to conform to strict specifications. Each panel has its limits. You'd be wasting your time in trying to physically 'upgrade' monitor components.
Thank you for the detailed information.
So pretty much there is nothing that can be touched inside of the monitor,as i taught.

Panels are not the same. Ones with faster refresh rate have shorter time for pixel switching from 0% brightness (black) to 100% brightness (fully lit). And obviously - shorter time for switching from 0% brightness to 50% brightness. These parameters matter most.

Usually you will not notice scene changes that happen below 20 ms. Subconsciously human beings can feel movement down to 5 ms range, however that is completely individual. That is why someone can notice lag already in frame rates around 60 FPS (1000 / 60 = 16 ms) and other can live happily even with 30-40 FPS (25-30 ms). Honestly I doubt about possibility to notice changes in picture happening below 5 ms. One should have insect vision to notice that. Bees have a vision with scan rate up to 400 FPS, but they also have very little distance between eyes and "brains". Our physical size with chemical intermediators at middle doesn't allow that.

Particularly I see a difference between 70 and 130 FPS where 70 and below already feel a little sluggish - BUT only in scenes with fast action where all background changes in short time like on turning around or looking on all sides in wide angle. However that does not make a big nuisance on 60 Hz only monitors. Also I lived with slow monitors and underperforming hardware long enough to get used to them.

Lighting pulsation (60 Hz in US/Japan and 50 Hz elsewhere) also can interfere and and cause weird feelings in some frame rates. But that is different story.

So pretty much there is nothing that can be touched inside of the monitor,as i taught.

Nope. And don't do that, you will not improve anything. Especially if monitor is not broken. Plus you will void a warranty.

In general....if the manufacturer could make it better that easy...they would....and they would charge you more for it.
...and you're welcome.

They already did by building USB hubs, USB sound cards (mine VG27AQL1A have them both) and even fully functional USB-C/Thunderbolt dock stations inside monitors. But all those parts are made not serviceable by user. Because there is a little reason for that and too little added value. The display panel is a thing that matter.

Solution

Usually you will not notice scene changes that happen below 20 ms. Subconsciously human beings can feel movement down to 5 ms range, however that is completely individual. That is why someone can notice lag already in frame rates around 60 FPS (1000 / 60 = 16 ms) and other can live happily even with 30-40 FPS (25-30 ms). Particularly I see a difference between 70 and 130 FPS where 70 and below already feel a little sluggish - BUT only in scenes with fast action where all background changes in short time like on turning around or looking on all sides in wide angle. However that does not make a big nuisance on 60 Hz only monitors. Also I lived with slow monitors and underperforming hardware long enough to get used to them. Honestly I doubt about possibility to notice changes in picture happening below 5 ms. One should have insect vision to notice that. Bees have a vision with scan rate up to 400 FPS, but they also have very little distance between eyes and "brains". Our physical size with chemical intermediators at middle doesn't allow that.

Lighting pulsation (60 Hz in US/Japan and 50 Hz elsewhere) also can interfere and and cause weird feelings in some frame rates. But that is different story.

Nope. And don't do that, you will not improve anything. Especially if monitor is not broken. Plus you will void a warranty.

They already did by building USB hubs, USB sound cards (mine VG27AQL1A have them both) and even fully functional USB-C/Thunderbolt dock stations inside monitors. But all those parts are made not serviceable by user. Because there is a little reason for that and too little added value. The display panel is a thing that matter.
Wow,thanks.
So what all of you are saying is that 1ms is just marketing bs that cant be noticed at all compared to 5ms?
Well,some individuals can,but a very low % as you said.
I havent seen a side-by-side comparison between 1 and 5ms,but when i went to a game caffe in which they had 144hz 1ms monitors,i could notice a huge difference in terms of pciture quality and overall experience.
They had this monitor i believe.
I have this,which is for some reason separated in like 9-10 parts of the monitor on the screen,but i think its because of the crack on the monitor.
View: https://imgur.com/gallery/du4smqm

So what all of you are saying is that 1ms is just marketing bs that cant be noticed at all compared to 5ms?

I believe that they told a truth around 1 ms. But it does not make much sense for real use. Only as warranty that you will not see frame change where you shouldn't.

I havent seen a side-by-side comparison between 1 and 5ms,but when i went to a game caffe in which they had 144hz 1ms monitors,i could notice a huge difference in terms of pciture quality and overall experience.

Better hardware and/or working FreeSync or G-Sync. Working variable/adaptive refresh rate produce more fluid picture even for low refresh rate (40-60 FPS range).

I have this,which is for some reason separated in like 9-10 parts of the monitor on the screen,but i think its because of the crack on the monitor.

If you mean that dark-light pattern on screen - it may be caused by both backlight defect, wrong/bad monitor cable or improper frame clock settings. For faulty backlight it is too regular though. As I found, BenQ G2400WA monitor have only VGA input - that may explain this. You should try different cable. Or find proper display settings for this monitor.

I believe that they told a truth around 1 ms. But it does not make much sense for real use. Only as warranty that you will not see frame change where you shouldn't.

Better hardware and/or working FreeSync or G-Sync. Working variable/adaptive refresh rate produce more fluid picture even for low refresh rate (40-60 FPS range).

If you mean that dark-light pattern on screen - it may be caused by both backlight defect, wrong/bad monitor cable or improper frame clock settings. For faulty backlight it is too regular though. As I found, BenQ G2400WA monitor have only VGA input - that may explain this. You should try different cable. Or find proper display settings for this monitor.
Not the dark-light pattern.
Im talking about how you can see that the monitors screen is like split in 10 parts ~ its like curtains.
I didnt have that on my previous monitors.

Not the dark-light pattern.
Im talking about how you can see that the monitors screen is like split in 10 parts ~ its like curtains.
I didnt have that on my previous monitors.

Then you most likely won a lottery in having bad display panel from bottom of cheap IPS panel bucket.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/690124-faint-vertical-lines-when-75hz-refresh-rate-on-monitor/

As guys are saying, only possible solution is to decrease desktop refresh rate to 60 Hz. Or even to 50 Hz. Proper solution - return this monitor back where you get it and get something better instead. AOC 24G2U/BK perhaps.

Then you most likely won a lottery in having bad display panel from bottom of cheap IPS panel bucket.

https://linustechtips.com/topic/690124-faint-vertical-lines-when-75hz-refresh-rate-on-monitor/

As guys are saying, only possible solution is to decrease desktop refresh rate to 60 Hz. Or even to 50 Hz. Proper solution - return this monitor back where you get it and get something better instead. AOC 24G2U/BK perhaps.
I have other priorities first.
This isnt at all noticable when gaming,just when doing something on Chrome or just on the desktop.
Its far from a problem,just a little bit annoying.
Thank you for your help.

By the way before giving up that monitor - are it show same "wave stripe" pattern in different place? And with different computer. 10 years ago a guy here had very similar pattern which appeared in evenings, nights and holidays. All effort to fix this failed. Problem miraculously resolved itself after a year. Later turned out that it was failed freezer motor in a store below his flat that generated interference for all home where he lived. And resolved - when store owner fixed a freezer when motor completely failed.

By the way before giving up that monitor - are it show same "wave stripe" pattern in different place? And with different computer. 10 years ago a guy here had very similar pattern which appeared in evenings, nights and holidays. All effort to fix this failed. Problem miraculously resolved itself after a year. Later turned out that it was failed freezer motor in a store below his flat that generated interference for all home where he lived. And resolved - when store owner fixed a freezer when motor completely failed.
Its just this monitor,i have tried my other monitors/tv's with this pc,all are clear except this monitor.
Im just going to replace it when it is its time to go.