[SOLVED] General questions about my components, and what to replace.

Kristian Brevik

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
Hey! brand new to this forum. I'm into gaming, CSGO. and im not completly satisfied with the FPS and mouse responsitivity im getting. My computer specs is:

Motherboard, Asustek P6X58D
GPU, Gainward 970 4GB
CPU, i7 2,8ghz
6GB ram.
PSU 650W
Windows 10 pro

I know these components are getting really old, but im just wondering what you guys recomend me to replace at first? is this motherboard worth keeping? what would improve FPS the most?
i think the 970 GPU is capable of more than 150FPS that i am getting in CSGO with all settings at low, and low resolution. Also my mouse respons feels slow ingame.

Solution
If you're still using an old style PS/2 mouse, you may want to consider upgrading to a USB. That might help with mouse response/sensitivity.
You're definitely going to want more RAM, but I'm not sure I'd want to put any more money into this system. If budget allows, I'd replace the entire core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM), but what I'd recommend would probably run more than $400. If you don't have that much to spend, then I'd probably just replace what you have with something like this Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB)

-Wolf sends
Honestly you could use an upgrade with most components. If you are happy with your GPUs performance a new board and CPU wouldn't hurt. The X58 platform was a good platform but performance wise it has fallen behind a bit:

https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/46?vs=1543

Thats just a basic comparison as not much gets compared to the X58 platform today but even the mainstream quad cores have surpassed the Nehalem urch (Yes I know that the i7 940 and you have the i7 930 but the difference is clock speed). Plus that is not even the latest CPU.

Depending on what you do and want out of your system you can go AMD or Intel and get a pretty substantial boost to overall system performance. However the most FPS gains would come from a GPU upgrade although your current system might hold it back a bit.

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you're still using an old style PS/2 mouse, you may want to consider upgrading to a USB. That might help with mouse response/sensitivity.
You're definitely going to want more RAM, but I'm not sure I'd want to put any more money into this system. If budget allows, I'd replace the entire core system (CPU/Motherboard/RAM), but what I'd recommend would probably run more than $400. If you don't have that much to spend, then I'd probably just replace what you have with something like this Corsair Vengeance 12GB (3x4GB)

-Wolf sends

Solution